Suggestions for her....

This is a discussion on Suggestions for her.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My significant other has expressed genuine interest in getting her CCW and committing to weekly or bi-monthly range time. As you might expect, this is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for her....

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Suggestions for her....

My significant other has expressed genuine interest in getting her CCW and committing to weekly or bi-monthly range time. As you might expect, this is a very exciting time for me because now I will be able to spend my leisure time with my favorite person doing my second favorite thing.

Here is my question: I would like to get her ramped up with a Walther P22 so we can shoot hundreds of rounds with minimal cost but I would also like to get her into a compact .380 or compact 9MM that would not abuse her hand like my LCP abuses mine. It has to be small because she is small, at only 4' 10" and 100 pounds. I don't even want her to shoot my LCP because I don't want to sour her to the whole idea. My budget is $600 for her CCW. I already put a P22 on lay-away so that cost does not factor in to the $600. Thanks, and I look forward to your suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

My wife is also small, we have be trying out different weapons her CC app. is pending. She really likes the S&W MP9 compact at $500-$550 but she is also looking at the 642.

I really like my Walther PPS in 9MM. Very small, very concealable (I am 5'2" and about 130lbs). Not bad on the recoil dept., thanks to the engineering of the recoil spring (I certainly don't find it abusive on my hand). We also happen to own a Walther P22, size and feel wise they are very similar, so that may be a bonus for you as well.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

The Walther is about the smallest/thinnest 9mm. You can take a look a the Kahrs too. You might also want to consider a SW 642 J frame. 38 ammo is cheap, and if she is not yet much of shooter, a revolver is easier to operate, with no levers, slides, mags to mess with.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Unless she much prefers a SA I recommend the 642. It is safe, light, and with the right ammo is adequate for SD.

I have a variety of guns, and I often carry a 642 due to the light weight, and the ease of loading and unloading. For range you can use reduced loads to help get her used to shooting the light gun.

Regards,
    Jerry

I usually figure my wife wants whatever gun I've been drooling over. That said, how bad a choice can an EMP be with that small grip circumferance (sp?) and sweet trigger? Plenty of slide for small hands to get a good grip when working the action, and small enough to conceal well on a beautiful petite body.

Kahr P9, Walther PPS, J-Frame, CZ-83, ... If one doesn't make her happy just keep buying until one of them strikes her fancy. Don't trade any of them back in as having them on-hand gives her the luxury of being able to change her mind. After all, you are thinking about her and her needs. Maybe throw in a Ruger Alaskan and a Wilson Carry Comp just because you care.

If you can find one, try the Colt Mustang .380 (varieties); my (shrimp of a) wife likes hers, it fits her tiny hand perfectly, and doesn't hurt even though her arthritis has been really accelerating the last couple years. Being all-steel construction it's a bit heavier than some of the new polymer frames, but it soaks up almost all the shock of the .380 round.
    Good luck.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

If your wife does not mind owning a DA revolver, I think the suggestion of a J frame S&W snubby is a good one. These little gems seem to fit smaller hands better then most CCW handguns. Also if the .38 Special is too much for her to handle, you may try locating a 431 or 432 in .32 H&R magnum. This cartridge has less felt recoil and nearly the same energy as a standard .38 Special does. You can find them used or some dealers still have some new even though they have been discontinued for over a year now.

My wife enjoys her S&W 431 and shoots it better than any other pistol she has tried.
    God bless our troops!

I love my M&P 9C, the adjustable backstrap was exactly what I needed to fit my small hand. It shoots quite well, and the recoil is there but nothing to be afraid of. Not to mention 9mm ammo is still a fairly inexpensive round to throw down range. I find it easy to conceal also.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    I really like my Walther PPS in 9MM. Very small, very concealable (I am 5'2" and about 130lbs). Not bad on the recoil dept., thanks to the engineering of the recoil spring (I certainly don't find it abusive on my hand). We also happen to own a Walther P22, size and feel wise they are very similar, so that may be a bonus for you as well.

I think the Walther PPS would be an excellent choice!

If not that, a Compact or Sub-Compact 9mm like a Glock or XD.

Go for a major defense caliber at first. I would shy away from mouse guns due to the fact that most of them can be punishing to shoot! Mouse guns are for a specialty purpose. Deep concealment.

Don't forget, concealed carry should become a way of life. There are always going to be compromises. But the dangers we all face on the street are REAL and rarely do the street thugs show any kind of mercy. Those who only want to carry part time are playing dangerous game.

Good luck with your wife. I'm glad she is seriously interested in ccw.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Might check out the CZ RAMI 9mm in poly frame.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hands down the Sig P232 is a perfect gun to teach women shooters. It is also a very comfortable CC gun and the Buffalo Bore Gold dots have ballistic numbers that out perform the Hydrashok 38 Special rounds!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

OK, I'll chime in also.
    As far as for a revolver goes, I think a S&W J-frame (442, 642, etc) Airweight. She'll have to make sure the DA trigger is not too much for her though. It is for some.
    But since you'll be shooting a P22 for rangetime, she has got to look at the Walther P99 before she purchases anything. Very similar to the P22, a quality pistol and a very easy to rack slide. Comes in 9mm, and .40 S&W and multiple variants.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    I agree about the PPS, I love mine. But even with the small back strap the handle is too wide for her to grasp firmly. After looking at the suggestions of the group I am leaning towards a S&W 431 or 432 on .32 H&R Mag. I am sure my local dealer can get me one NOS. I like the idea of a revolver for someone who is just starting out. She likes the idea of gun ownership but probably will not achieve "nut" status in her lifetime. By this I mean she will not sit at the workbench at 2AM in her jammies disassembling and lubricating them and all of the other "nutty" things that she sees me doing as an enthusiast.

My wife carries a Kahr MK9 , it's small , but still has enough weight to keep the recoil from being an issue. She really likes it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links