Beretta Tomcat .32 impressions....

This is a discussion on Beretta Tomcat .32 impressions.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody in the community have this mousegun? And if so, what are your impressions? I was at the gun store today and my sales ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Tomcat .32 impressions....

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Does anybody in the community have this mousegun? And if so, what are your impressions? I was at the gun store today and my sales guy was pushing it on me as the right choice for my girlfriend. I read that it does not have an extractor, thus making clearing a dud very problematic. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

If you're looking for a .32 in that price range (I assume it was around $400) I think you would do MUCH better with a Seecamp or NAA Guardian or you can save some money and get the Kel-Tec P-32 (but I would get the Seecamp or Guardian).

Just today at the range, a family came in to shoot. The wife had her brand new .32 Tomcat. After they finished shooting & exited the range, she mentioned to the owner that her Tomcat had broken...she had issues getting the barrel to flip up & the trigger finally stuck in the fully depressed position.

I overheard the shop owner tell her that he had quit stocking Tomcats for sale for this very reason. The shop owner also told her of a range member who had the same or similar issues with 2 Tomcats. The first broke, was sent back to Beretta...a new pistol was shipped & it too broke on the first range trip.

Not sure what all of that means, but I'd hold off on the Tomcat until I had more info if it were me.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Had one for a few years. Best mousegun I ever had. Not the type of thing for shooting tomato cans all day but it was very accurate at SD distances and never had a FTF or FTE. I would burn up a hundred rounds then give it a good brushing and cleaning. Used Rem Oil and it ran like a clock even with some aftermarket 10 round magazines.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had a Beretta Tomcat for about three years. It was my first CC gun. I've come to believe that the .32 cal is not sufficient to stop a fight, except maybe with a head shot. I recently traded it. The Tomcat weighs as much as an airweight .38 which is a more efficient stopper than the .32. I personally would not choose a mouse gun because she is female; rather, think about it in terms of what you would want to protect yourself. Get a caliber that would be the most powerful she could handle, and incourage her to practice with it. Additionally, a .38 revolver is more likely to be easier to master, and more mistake proof.
    The Tomcat has a long first shot double action, and then subsequent shots are single action. That adds a different feel to the trigger pull. It really isn't IMO a very good first/self protection gun.

I pack one in my motorcycle leathers when I ride just because it seems to be the only gun that fits in them. It is a very soft shooting gun, it has about the same recoil as a .22mag. It has acceptable accuracy. I had one issue with mine, the trigger got stuck back. I took it to the gunshop I bought it from. They replaced something and it has been flawless since.

Some things I do not like about it is that the slide doesnt lock back after the last round and the sights are not that great. But I guess it is a belly gun. Also a malfunction is almost impossible to clear quickly. If this was to be her only gun and she wanted something that shot very soft but still small and in that price rance, I would actually look elsewere. I would look at a Bersa .380, maybe a Taurus .38, or if you needed something even smaller a little Kel-tec.

Quote Originally Posted by wagglebee View Post
    If you're looking for a .32 in that price range (I assume it was around $400) I think you would do MUCH better with a Seecamp or NAA Guardian or you can save some money and get the Kel-Tec P-32 (but I would get the Seecamp or Guardian).

+1.

Personal pref is the Seecamp. Smallest and lightest of them all and an absolute little gem of a mousegun. Prices are all pretty similar.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

The lady across the street from me had a Tomcat which was jammed, and asked me to see if I could find out what was wrong with it. Upon inspection, I found that the grip screw on one side had loosened up, allowing the recoil transfer lever to come off of it's pivot. This caused the recoil lever end to come out of it's recess in the slide, thus jamming the slide.

The Tomcat's recoil springs (2) are located in the grip on either side of the magazine. The recoil of the slide is transfered to the springs via (2) corresponding levers which pivot on a post. The plastic grip cover is the only thing preventing the levers from working their way off the post.

I would suggest to anyone who is depending on this gun to use a suitable thread adhesive on the grip screws in order to prevent this failure from occuring.

BLC
    I had one briefly, it was the worst handgun I ever had and it just wouldnt function. It was constantly getting jammed up. That experience has scared me away from Beretta forever. They say the new ones are better but I am not going to risk it.

PM me if you decide to try one, I still have a bunch of ammo and a boresnake.
    ...Brian

Quote Originally Posted by MK-nine View Post

I would suggest to anyone who is depending on this gun to use a suitable thread adhesive on the grip screws in order to prevent this failure from occuring.
    +1 on securing the grip screws. That is absolutely the only problem I've ever had with this piece in the five years that I've owned one. And I'm talking pretty close to two thousand rounds of all kinds of ammo. As the saying goes, I'd rather have something I'll actually carry when I'm stripped down for summer, then something sitting in the safe at home.

I had a Tomcat but didn't like it, it was very difficult for me to get my large hands on it. I like my NAA Guardian far better. Hve you placed a Sig P232 in her hands yet? I wouldn't be looking at a Mouse gun for new shooter especially a femaile, it's a good way to build bad habbits from the start.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

kpw
    I've had one for about 8 years. My mother in-law and father in-law both carry one. No problems with any of the 3. As far as mouse guns go, it's my favorite. It's one of the few really small pistols that I can get my mitts on and shoot comfortably.

I bought a Tomcat for my wife, thinking she would like the tip up barrel so she wouldn't have to rack the slide to load it. It was also small enough to fit into her (usually) overfull purse. She immediately started questioning whether the 32 ACP has adequate stopping power, and complained about bruising of her hand when firing it. I put a Hogue rubber grip sleeve on it to soften the recoil but she is never interested in going back to the range with it.

Anyway, she wants a Glock 19, which I've offered to get for her if she ever goes to get her permit. I guess that's not enough of a carrot because that offer has stood for about 15 months.

I like shooting the Tomcat, but it kicks, so I wouldn't want to put a lot of rounds through it in any one range session. Other guns this size have double action only triggers but the Tomcat has a traditional DA/SA trigger and a manual safety that allows cocked and locked carry with every trigger pull in single action. Note that Beretta's manual cautions against carrying cocked and locked but it also cautions against carrying with a round chambered, if I recall correctly. There's also a half-cocked hammer position so that the first pull is shorter than full double action.

With only a seven round magazine, it's essential to carry a spare magazine or two.

I know a couple of guys that have them and they're happy with them (as a BUG or "only gun I can carry" gun only). When I shot one, it really was pretty decent. The only problem was that my high grip on the gun would probably earn me a pair of railroad tracks from the slide.

not bad though...I'd definately buy one of these over a kel-tec but I would NOT recommend it for a new shooter or as a primary gun for anyone.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I had a Tomcat for a couple of years after they first came out. My biggest complaint was the heavy trigger pull. I had bought it for my wife, but she was never able to pull the trigger and be accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links