Defensive Carry banner

Not exactly what I ordered....

4K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  TunnelVision 
#1 ·
I sent Ford's an unfired NIB HK P7M8 for a BLACK NICKEL refinish on 5/5. I have a P7 that was hard chromed by them, so I wanted something different. I called to make sure it arrived with the paper work stating exactly the refinish I wanted. After about a month I called again and went over the specs with them and asked about the status and expected ET of the job. They said, about 8 weeks. I call back in that time frame and they had an equipment break down and said it would be 2 more weeks. I called back after it had been there over 3 months and they said they are ready to ship. Told me they have the address on my paper work.

I meet the ups man....open the box and to my shock, it's not BLACK NICKEL BUT WHITE NICKEL. It was Friday after 5 and their closed. I call and email them about the royal screw up. Yet to see how their goin resolve this, but I don't plan on paying for what I did not order. My paper work that I sent with the gun clearly states…black high polish nickel. What do you think is the fair thing to do here? If it's refinished again to black, will that hurt the integrity of the metal? What effects would that have on the over all durability of the gun?

See less See more
#3 ·
They did make a mistake... I would definitely call and talk to them on Monday.

#4 ·
I can see why you would be upset. I went to their web site and looked at the photos of the black nickel finish. GORGEOUS!!

Hoss

#23 ·
I did the same after reading your post and I can't help but agree. I didn't even know there was a black chrome finish available. The high polish is simply beautiful. Oh, boy, I would be racked if the same happened to me. Fingerprints and smudges would drive me nuts. I would settle for brushed. I'd have them pay S&H both ways for a refinish and have your gun back in a week, two at the most.

#5 ·
Having your firearm RE-refinished should not hurt it at all.
I say that because they are able to do either of two things.

1.) Chemically degrease and reactivate the existing Nickel plating and then simply Black Nickel it.

2.) Chemically remove the existing Nickel plating down to the base metal which does not affect the integrity of the base metal. This method only strips the Nickel coating and does not affect or attack the steel at all.

In other words they would not need to mechanically remove AKA buff, sand, or grind off the existing Nickel.

My best guess is that since they just Nickel plated it...(and did a real nice looking job BTW) they would just simply reactivate it and then Black it.

Since they obviously "messed up" they should foot the bill for shipping both ways.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info and encouragement guys....I was really bent outa shape over this....however, maybe they will do the right thing and make it right. I know mistakes happen, but someone forgot to read the paper work. I will say this, to their credit....they did an outstanding job, just not what I wanted.

#8 ·
Yeah, I'm with those who say send it back but they should offer some kind of concession to you and at the very least pay for shipping both ways. :yup:

Maybe they'll do another gun for free?

#10 ·
I like the way it looks now, but I'm a picky person...I would be VERY upset...I'd be making phone calls and working my way up the 'supervisory chain' until someone made it right...on their dime.

OMO

Stay armed...have it your way...stay safe!

#11 ·
Also forgot to mention...make certain that they intend to refinish your firearm Right Away.
You should not have to wait yet another extended period of time. You have waited long enough already. :yup:

#12 ·
IMO it's :ugly: and not the kind of handgun that should be nickeled like that. It would look much nicer in black nickel. Priority pickup , super fast turnaround and return shipping on their dime is mandatory.

#13 ·
beautiful! but the black is what you ordered - should be re-done at no cost and placed ahead of other work in their shop for fastest turn around - also, would hope that they offer some sort of compensation for the time factor: either 10% now or 20% for some future job seems appropiate

#14 ·
I don't care for the bright nickel on the P7M8, I would want Black too. I would be very upset. I would want them to refinish the gun ASAP, pay for shipping both ways, and I would ask them to do it for FREE. I am not trying to be unreasonable, but the first finish job took way longer than quoted, they NEVER called you to inform you of delays, it was up to you to make contact with them. And That is WRONG!! On top of all this they do it in the wrong finish, not good business!! As I said I would ask for this to be done at no charge and maybe settle on a deep discount. Otherwise I would say they just bought a newly refinished HKP7M8. Please let us know how this turns out as I am thinking of having some finish work done and want to know if they should be on my list. Right now they are at or near the bottom.
Good Luck

NCH

#15 ·
I will post their response Monday after we talk....I don't want to trash talk them...they my come through like a champ....I just want what I ordered. Here is the finish I asked for:

#17 ·
This may be a silly question, but.......... are you sure it's your gun? Maybe a mix up putting in box, if two of the same guns there at same time.:ahhhhh: Did you check serial numbers?

#22 ·
Oh... my... God... I want my Springer Loaded in a black nickel finish now. That finish is A-MA-ZING. I would definitely pitch a fit until they pay for shipping both ways and do your gun before anyone else's in the queue... and see if you can weasel them into doing mine for free... that'll make you feel better, right?

#25 ·
OK....Here is the follow up report......

Yes....it is my gun....serial # matches box and my serial #.

I called Ford's and told them they put the wrong finish on the gun. They said, let us pull your paper work you sent in.....a long pause and the guy says....Yep, your absolutely correct....we misread the instructions....we put BGT for bright nickel down instead of BLK for black. After reminding him they had had the gun for well over 3 months and I had called to remind them of the specs and check on status....I said, what can we do about it? He said, Send it back, we'll strip off the bright nickel and finish with black nickel. I asked him to pay shipping both ways and he agreed to do so. I also asked that the job be put on the fast track for completion and he agree....said maybe a month. I hope that is a reality.

So, Ford's seem to want to do the right thing and I would use them again, as matter of fact I reminded him they had done 2 other guns for me and their work is second to none in my humble but accurate opinion.:)

Only downside to Ford's is the wait time. I guess they serve no finish before it's time like good wine. Now, I am not shipping back till the hurricane passes their area and I will write in....BIG BOLD letters BLACK NICKEL, underline it....tie it on the gun...then call after it arrives and say, this is Mr. BLACK calling about my gun. Thanks for your input. I know we all want to know what to expect out of companies that we use and trust when things go south. I am satisfied with their resolution. Now, I am afraid in the wait period, I will get the hankerin for another gun....no not again:D

#26 ·
As long as you are happy that's all that matters. not sure I would be satisfied with your results. But I own my own business with unheard of customer service so my expectations are often not much higher. I think you should have asked to speak to the owner, supervisor etc. You shouldn't have had to ask for them to pay shipping, it should have been something they told you they were going to do. When he quoted a month turnaround I would have come unglued. If I were you I would follow up with a certified letter to the owner of the company explaining everything you have gone through, and I would post the address of this thread. This is far more than making a mistake. It is poor customer service. As I said before they should have called you if there was going to be additional delays in their delivery dates, you called them, several times!! You also told them it was Black finish, several times. I am going to stop here as I don't have a dog or rooster in this fight. I wish you the best of luck. If you're happy than I am happy for you. I also can't wait to see the finished product. The HK pistols have always been on my want list!!
Take Care

NCH

#31 ·
I completely agree as they screwed up royally and they are making you, the paying customer feel like they are doing you a favor to resolve the issue. That black finish is incredible...and now after this post I am considering sending a Colt Officer model their way...BUT I would not do business with them based on ONE MONTH to redo the work? You've got to be kidding, this should be done the same day they receive it and turned around within a week which is not unreasonable at all if they make you first in line as they should!

By the way, when their equipment first "broke down" if it caused a delay of more then a couple of days they should notify ALL of their customers. Their communication seems terrible.

BTW the finish they gave you is terrible and looks like it came from a rattle can. The black finish you ordered will be unbelievable if they do anywhere near the quality of the photo you posted.

Good luck and I hope your pistol comes out right this time, those are some very nice toys you've got there...high end brotha!:danceban:

#28 ·
Sounds like a good company to work with... you will have to let us know if they come through with their promise.

#29 ·
NCHornet, you run a tight ship. But your level of customer service is rapidly disappearing.....I hear what your saying and agree that they should bend over backward to make it right and then some for the sake of the good name of their company.

I will be sure to keep you posted on the results and time frame. I will post pictures....if they are not yellow gold finish:aargh4:

Thanks again for your insights and input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.