Not exactly what I ordered....

This is a discussion on Not exactly what I ordered.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sent Ford's an unfired NIB HK P7M8 for a BLACK NICKEL refinish on 5/5. I have a P7 that was hard chromed by them, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not exactly what I ordered....

I sent Ford's an unfired NIB HK P7M8 for a BLACK NICKEL refinish on 5/5. I have a P7 that was hard chromed by them, so I wanted something different. I called to make sure it arrived with the paper work stating exactly the refinish I wanted. After about a month I called again and went over the specs with them and asked about the status and expected ET of the job. They said, about 8 weeks. I call back in that time frame and they had an equipment break down and said it would be 2 more weeks. I called back after it had been there over 3 months and they said they are ready to ship. Told me they have the address on my paper work.

I meet the ups man....open the box and to my shock, it's not BLACK NICKEL BUT WHITE NICKEL. It was Friday after 5 and their closed. I call and email them about the royal screw up. Yet to see how their goin resolve this, but I don't plan on paying for what I did not order. My paper work that I sent with the gun clearly states…black high polish nickel. What do you think is the fair thing to do here? If it's refinished again to black, will that hurt the integrity of the metal? What effects would that have on the over all durability of the gun?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I don't know I kind of like it

But, your the customer so I'm sure you will get it resolved.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

They did make a mistake... I would definitely call and talk to them on Monday.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I can see why you would be upset. I went to their web site and looked at the photos of the black nickel finish. GORGEOUS!!

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    Having your firearm RE-refinished should not hurt it at all.
    I say that because they are able to do either of two things.

1.) Chemically degrease and reactivate the existing Nickel plating and then simply Black Nickel it.

2.) Chemically remove the existing Nickel plating down to the base metal which does not affect the integrity of the base metal. This method only strips the Nickel coating and does not affect or attack the steel at all.

In other words they would not need to mechanically remove AKA buff, sand, or grind off the existing Nickel.

My best guess is that since they just Nickel plated it...(and did a real nice looking job BTW) they would just simply reactivate it and then Black it.

Since they obviously "messed up" they should foot the bill for shipping both ways.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the info and encouragement guys....I was really bent outa shape over this....however, maybe they will do the right thing and make it right. I know mistakes happen, but someone forgot to read the paper work. I will say this, to their credit....they did an outstanding job, just not what I wanted.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I like the way it looks now...ask for a discount on the job due to their mistake (with a tear in your eye!) and keep the white nickel!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Yeah, I'm with those who say send it back but they should offer some kind of concession to you and at the very least pay for shipping both ways.

Maybe they'll do another gun for free?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

if the gun didn't look so good, i'd say that's messed up. still, i understand why you'd be mad about it; you didn't get what you paid for.

still, it does look pretty hot.

I like the way it looks now, but I'm a picky person...I would be VERY upset...I'd be making phone calls and working my way up the 'supervisory chain' until someone made it right...on their dime.

OMO

Stay armed...have it your way...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Also forgot to mention...make certain that they intend to refinish your firearm Right Away.
    You should not have to wait yet another extended period of time. You have waited long enough already.

IMO it's and not the kind of handgun that should be nickeled like that. It would look much nicer in black nickel. Priority pickup , super fast turnaround and return shipping on their dime is mandatory.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

beautiful! but the black is what you ordered - should be re-done at no cost and placed ahead of other work in their shop for fastest turn around - also, would hope that they offer some sort of compensation for the time factor: either 10% now or 20% for some future job seems appropiate

I don't care for the bright nickel on the P7M8, I would want Black too. I would be very upset. I would want them to refinish the gun ASAP, pay for shipping both ways, and I would ask them to do it for FREE. I am not trying to be unreasonable, but the first finish job took way longer than quoted, they NEVER called you to inform you of delays, it was up to you to make contact with them. And That is WRONG!! On top of all this they do it in the wrong finish, not good business!! As I said I would ask for this to be done at no charge and maybe settle on a deep discount. Otherwise I would say they just bought a newly refinished HKP7M8. Please let us know how this turns out as I am thinking of having some finish work done and want to know if they should be on my list. Right now they are at or near the bottom.
    Good Luck

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I will post their response Monday after we talk....I don't want to trash talk them...they my come through like a champ....I just want what I ordered. Here is the finish I asked for:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links