Glock or XD in 45 Cal. ?

This is a discussion on Glock or XD in 45 Cal. ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want a medium or small size 45....looking at either a Glock or an XD. Any advantages or disadvantages to either. ?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock or XD in 45 Cal. ?

Glock or XD in 45 Cal. ?

I want a medium or small size 45....looking at either a Glock or an XD. Any advantages or disadvantages to either. ?
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have, and love, two Glock .45s. I have a G-36, which I carry constantly, and a G-30 which is a great gun also, and my nightstand arm. Both have been flawless, and the 36 is a bit easier to carry because it is thin (single stack 6+ 1 the 30 holds 10+ 1).
    Many people carry the 30 with no problem, and the rail on the frame allows for a light attachment. (36 has no rail). To me, the XD grip sticks out too far and shows under a shirt.

The best bet is to try to rent them, and see what you like. You won't go wrong with any of the three, but, I think the edge in concealability goes to Glock-36.

My favorite Glocks:

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Glocks a little smoother down the sides and a little smaller framed. Not sure if the chamber is fully supported on the Glock .45 or not. Not sure of round count either.

XD is a little bigger framed and not as smooth down the sides. Slide release lever is larger. Chamber is fully supported. Offers a grip safety along with trigger safety if that matters to you. Can be purchased with thumb safety. Service and Tactical carries 13 rounds in mag and one in pipe. Also offered in 45C Compact model.

Now, which one can you shoot more accurately and are more comfortable with? That is your choice.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    You really owe it to yourself to also consider the S&W M&P. I think the trigger alone is much better.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

love my Glocks, G30 in particular - a lot of the guys I shoot with and respect use the XD's so .... personal preference I guess - do you have other Glocks or sort of a mixed stable as it were? I own other brands than Glock but would not carry anything else

I have the 45 compact XD, less than a year old bi-tone. I liked it until I purchased an Ed Brown 1911, and now don't even bother with the XD. Thinking of selling....

Glock or M&P...I wouldn't own an XD
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I'm a Glock fan... I've been thinking of adding a Glock .45 to my collection... Glock 30 or 36, but I will need to go to the local gunshop/range and rent them both... if I was you I'd do the same thing.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Glock or M&P...I wouldn't own an XD
    XD. I wouldn't own a Glock or M&P [unless it came free].

As you can see from the posts above, there are many differing opinions, like Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Only way for you to know is to TRY THEM and see what suits YOU. That being said, I'm partial to Glocks.

I own a G30, and love it. It is a bit smaller frame I believe than the XD, but I would have to say try both, and see which is better from accuracy, comfort and concealment points of view.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I really like my GLOCK 30.

Rather thick little sucker, but accurate, reliable, and soft shooting.

I have zero experience with an XD in .45 acp, but have one in 9MM that I like.

I would think you would be more than okay with either as a self-defense pistol.

M2
    I have an XD45 Service (4") that is the best handgun I have ever used! I was a big fan of the Glocks until I got the Springfield, now I wouldn't carry anything else. I just shot my first IDPA match with it last weekend, and it did exceptionally well. I have never had it fail on me in over 1000 rounds through it...

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    XD. I wouldn't own a Glock or M&P [unless it came free].
    +1

Then i could turn around and sell them so I'd have money to buy more XD's!

The reason I went for the XD versus the Glock was for the larger capacity and for the grip safety.

I love my Glock 21! Best handling pistol I have owned and for the price was a bargain! I used to say I was against getting the glock because I listened to the nay sayers saying they are "cheap plastic" guns. Always have been a fan of a good 1911, but after getting the deal offered on the glock 21, which was too good to turn down, I became one of the glock-a-holics! In my opinion for a new handgun around $500 that holds 13 rounds vs 6-8 for a 1911, it is one of the best values on the market.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links