Pick me a pocket carry...

This is a discussion on Pick me a pocket carry... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just qualified for my CCDW license today and decided pocket carry would be my best bet. Unfortunately the only pistol I have is a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pick me a pocket carry...

I just qualified for my CCDW license today and decided pocket carry would be my best bet. Unfortunately the only pistol I have is a Springfield XD Sub-Compact .40 which isn't exactly going to be easy (or even possible in some shorts) to pocket carry. It's weight is prohibitive from doing so anyway.

Requirements: At least 9mm +P or .38 +P capable, continuously. Light/short/thin as possible, at least capable of five repeating shots. Cost not being a factor. I would also prefer an automatic over a revolver.

Thanks in advance guys. There's a lot out there for me to look at but I would really like the most usable stopping power available in the smallest package and I know probably all of you have more experience with different firearms then I do.

VIP Member
    I have two pocket carry guns. A Kahr CW9 and a S&W 642. They both would meet your needs. The Kahr is a little slimmer than the 642, but the 642 feels a touch lighter. Both are completely reliable and more accurate than I am.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Kahr PM-9. I have one and it is an excellent pocket auto.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Why +P out of a pocket gun? If you don't want a revo, why include .38 +P?
    My vote goes for a true pocket pistol, Kel Tec P3AT. 8oz, 6+1.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    With the short barrel the extra energy would be nice, I didn't say I didn't want a revolver...I would just prefer an automatic. A revolver is still an option. I also feel safer with a firearm that can easily handle the additional stresses with no problems.

Would you mind commenting on the Kel-Tec's build quality? That has made me slightly weary of any of their firearms. The PF9 does interest me though..it can use +P just not continuously.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I have a P3-AT, a LCP and a PM-9. Other than the weight factor (and the cost) there is VERY little size difference between the three and the PM-9 with +P ammo gives you almost TWICE the energy of a 380. I've got nothing against the 380 and carry my LCP frequently, but if I could only have one, I'd take the one that can do the job as a back-up and a primary and, for me, that's the Kahr.

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I have a P3-AT, a LCP and a PM-9. Other than the weight factor (and the cost) there is VERY little size difference between the three and the PM-9 with +P ammo gives you almost TWICE the energy of a 380. I've got nothing against the 380 and carry my LCP frequently, but if I could only have one, I'd take the one that can do the job as a back-up and a primary and, for me, that's the Kahr.

Hoss

Thank you for that! The PM-9 is looking better and better.

I would second what Hoss told you. If you can carry a 9mm that is roughly the same size as a .380, why not go with it and have more power to stop a BG.
    God bless our troops!

I pocket carry a NAA Guardian in 380 and I love this little gun. I have tried the PM9 and it was a bit to large for me in Jeans, now in cargo pants it would be fine. I suppose a J frame wheeler is about as reliable as they get, but the girth at the cylinder makes it look like you have a cue ball in your pocket. I suggest trying different guns at local shops. make sure you ask them to place it in your pocket before doing so, lol!!
    Good luck and let us all know what you decide.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I only know of two 9mm guns anyone would consider as pocket guns, the Kahr and the Rohrbaugh. The Rohrbaugh is not rated +P, so by default, the only pistol that meets your qualifications is the Kahr. You get to choose all metal or polymer. The Keltec 9mm is too large to carry in a pocket IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    I just qualified for my CCDW license today and decided pocket carry would be my best bet.
    One question...why do you feel this is the best method for you?

Unless you are forced to pocket carry or use other deep-concealment methods like smart-carry, etc. (due to working in a NPE or some similar circumstance). Why not just get a good IWB holster and carry a more substantial weapon? Yeah, it may not be as comfortable, but who cares...we're talking about something you may have to depend on to stay alive. With a good holster/belt combo, it's not that uncomfortable after the week or two that it takes to get used to it.

Pocket carry or other deep-concealment methods are really not conducive to effective fighting...they're more of a "this is absolutely the only way I can have a gun on me" type thing.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

For what you have outlined, most likely the Kahr would be your answer. The Keltec P3AT and Ruger LCP are popular choices for pocket carry due to both their small/slim size and very light weight. To steadily shoot + p ammo, you don't want a small lightweight gun, unless you enjoy having your hand stinging every time you pull the trigger.

I'm currently using a S&W 642 j-frame for pocket carry. The caliber is effective enough for what it is and the weight is good at 15 oz. but yes, the cylinder bulge makes it print a little more than I'd like. I also prefer a little faster/easier reload capability than I can personally get from the revolver.

I looked at two Rohrbaughs not long ago at a local dealer. Sweet little guns for sure but that particular shop wanted $1300 for the Stealth model and I couldn't see spending that much for something I'd carry under such limited circumstances. I recently handled a Kahr PM9 and MK9 at my usual dealer and I'm tempted to add one or the other to my collection just for pocket carry. I believe both models were in the $800 to $900 range and that's more reasonable to me.
    Jack

I carry my xdsc 9mm in a Don Hume iwb holster. I find it a bit big for pocket carry. For a 9mm Id look into the pm-9 the kel-tec pf9. And Taurus is supposed to be coming out with a small slim 9mm also. I also frequently carry a kel-tec p-32 in pocket with a desantis nemesis holster when in the summer for short trips to town or when Im biking.

The KAHR MK9 is small, BUT also rather HEAVY for a pocket gun.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links