How come the internal lock on the S&W snubbies are so hated?

This is a discussion on How come the internal lock on the S&W snubbies are so hated? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of posts where people dislike the internal lock on the S&W snubbies. I've been curious as to why, because I plan ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How come the internal lock on the S&W snubbies are so hated?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

How come the internal lock on the S&W snubbies are so hated?

I see a lot of posts where people dislike the internal lock on the S&W snubbies. I've been curious as to why, because I plan to buy one, but want to know why the ILS is so disliked.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

In short, there have been a few recorded incidents of the lock engaging without the key, often when the weapon is fired or dropped. It only affects a tiny fraction of the revolvers with the lock, but it does happen. Plus it's ugly and in the opinion of many utterly unnecessary. If you want to lock up your firearm there are a myriad of external locks that are just as secure but don't compromise the weapon's reliability (can you guess which camp I'm in on this debate )?
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I was thinking that was the reason it was disliked, but wasn't sure. I'll be sure to find one without the lock. I would really hate for the gun to lock up if I ever had to use it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    For me, it isn't the mechanical issue, its what the lock represents.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    For me, it isn't the mechanical issue, its what the lock represents.
    Exactly ! It isn't the fact of the S&W revolver lock; it's the idea of it that is irritating and condescending.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

The hole represents a sell out on the part of S&W and I hope S&W sees how well some of these lomited no lock runs are and they will rethink their decision and remove them from all their wheelers!! I too would look for a older gun, the triggers will be much smoother as well on a older gun.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Although I own several older S&Ws, I wouldn't buy one with the lock, because I see it as "giving in to the anti-gun groups. I think it is a solution which doesn't exist. External locks are more reliable, and work just as well to keep our guns safe in households with kids. Personally, all three of my kids(now all grown) knew what guns were, and what they could do before they were 10 years old. They knew never to touch them unless my wife and I were there and knew that if they wanted to shoot, all they had to do was to ask and we'd be headed out to the country that weekend.

It's simply baggage that shouldn't be there. A Smith & Wesson revolver that doesn't have the lock will never fail because of lock related issues.

RSR has some brand new lock free 642's available.

Theres more good news too. RSR is getting in an order of brand new lock free 442's in the next few weeks.

Maybe this is a sign of S&W removing its head from its rectum. Lets hope so. Regards 18DAI.

Arrogance of S&W Company

I agree with the above posters who dislike the S&W revolver lock because it reminds them of anti-gun sentiment and legislation.

Additionally, I dislike the lock because it represents the arrogance of the S&W Company in trying to force a product feature on customers without consideration for what the customers want. Based on hundreds of comments on this subject I have read, I think it is safe to say that most knowledgeable revolver buyers and users do not want an integral lock. But in the face of this customer sentiment, S&W has for years installed this lock on every revolver they made, not even considering the possibility of having two product types - one with lock and one without, to accomodate all customers.

This attitude seems arrogant and stupid to me, and I believe it has cost S&W millions of dollars in potential sales, lost to other manufacturers.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Good grief...put down that coffee folks...

I own two with the locks and no problem. I'm still waiting to see the documented evidence of those so called "failures" due to that lock.

For me, the greatest waste of money I see are those cable locks that come with all handguns...I've got a pile of those.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

IMHO, buying a revolver with an internal lock is a great waste of money.

When S&W produces lock free revolvers (S&W's greed WILL overcome their corporate arrogance) those wind up guns will be worthless.

I guess folks that don't know any better will still purchase them.

Even if you have an ounce of sense, and remove the internal lock so that the revolver can be made suitable for carry, it is still ugly. Regards 18DAI.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Good grief...put down that coffee folks...

I own two with the locks and no problem. I'm still waiting to see the documented evidence of those so called "failures" due to that lock.

For me, the greatest waste of money I see are those cable locks that come with all handguns...I've got a pile of those.
    Well I had a failure, with my M 629 and that's a fact. Old saying but true, keep it simple, less things that go wrong.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

It's good to know that Smith & Wesson are still making guns without the internal lock. I plan to buy a 642, because I'm in need of a lighter carry gun due to an injury.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links