Thoughts on Bersa...

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Bersa... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some hundred dollar bills burning a hole in my pocket and I was looking for some community input as to their impressions of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Bersa...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Cool Thoughts on Bersa...

I have some hundred dollar bills burning a hole in my pocket and I was looking for some community input as to their impressions of the Bersa brand. I was looking at 2 models:

1. Bersa Thunder .380
    2. Bersa Thunder .45

Or do you advise that I just stick to my original plan to get a Walther P22 and plink till my heart's content?

Trips to the candy store are always such a challenge. Even when I go in with a plan I always see something else I had not considered before (like a Bersa) that would make a nice addition to my burgeoning armory. There is always that nice revolver I've been eyeballing too. What to do?

2. Remove Ads

Since you don't seem to have a 22 in your armory, you might just stick to your original plan. That being said, the BT-380 is a nice pistol and I carry mine occasionally in a Don Hume 721OT. I have added some glitz also. If you want a .45, you might try what is hiding under the BT. Taurus Milpro PT145
    Last edited by MSGTTBAR; August 18th, 2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Grammer
    Life is too short to be serious!

Senior Moderator
    I have a Bersa .380 and it is a undervalued little gun.

But if you don't have a .22 get one first.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

EW3
    I have a Bersa Thunder 380CC and it is one of my most reliable, accurate, fun to shoot guns I own. While I have problems holding on to my LCP, not to mention shredding brass and dropping mags, and the finish on my CW40 flaking off, my Bersa happily goes "bang" every time and has never once had a FTF or FTE in over 600 rounds. I had it in my pocket last night in a slightly chopped DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster(for a PPK) while at the IMAX theater seeing The Dark Knight. No one was the wiser.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Yesterday I read of two people who had the mag safety spring break of their Bersa. This makes the gun inoperable until it is fixed. Something that simple to disable a gun is scary to carry IMHO.

Here is the link to the discussion. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-any-good.html
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Its the markets best kept secret but the word is getting out and more people are buying them. Ive seen the price go up $50 since march here. I love mine sits right next to the old 1911 and glock on my reliability scale never had a ftf 5 thousand round through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I have some hundred dollar bills burning a hole in my pocket and I was looking for some community input as to their impressions of the Bersa brand. I was looking at 2 models:

1. Bersa Thunder .380
    2. Bersa Thunder .45

Or do you advise that I just stick to my original plan to get a Walther P22 and plink till my heart's content?

Trips to the candy store are always such a challenge. Even when I go in with a plan I always see something else I had not considered before (like a Bersa) that would make a nice addition to my burgeoning armory. There is always that nice revolver I've been eyeballing too. What to do?
    Well I took the .22 plunge and bought a Walther P22 in black. Paid $329. I think this will fit nicely into the family and really reduce the range costs of the center fire ammo. Econo-bricks of 500 rounds of American Eagle and CCI Blazers are $16 and the good stuff like RWS and others goes as high as $45 for 500. Any suggestions as to what I should break her in with?

Also, the Bersa will end up in my stable. I groped a .380 in black and it has a very nice fit and finish. I took off the slide and was greeted by good machine work which left a very favorable impression on me. I think the Bersa Thunder .380 is next.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGTTBAR View Post
    Since you don't seem to have a 22 in your armory, you might just stick to your original plan. That being said, the BT-380 is a nice pistol and I carry mine occasionally in a Don Hume 721OT. I have added some glitz also. If you want a .45, you might try what is hiding under the BT. Taurus Milpro PT145
    Those are some pretty grips you have on that Bersa. Did you make them yourself?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Ammo at Wal-Mart is now $3 more per 100 than .45 ACP. Something to consider............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    If it counts for anything, I made 8 holsters this past week for Bersas. There is rarely a week that I don't make something for a Bersa.

The .380 was my very first gun. I accidentally ruined it, though. Now I carry the .45 everyday. Wouldn't trade it for anything. My Sig sits in the safe. One of these days, I'll replace my .380, but for now, it's my most expensive holster mold.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I have a thunder 380 and a hi capacity full size thunder in .40 caliber.

The 380 is dead reliable as long as you don't use weak ammo. My experience has been that it has too much recoil to be a fun range gun with the stronger loads. If you want to use it for self defense with strong hollow points the recoil is not a problem, however there is the whole question about using a 380 for self defense.

Now the 40 caliber hi cap. I have about 1,000 rounds of all types of ammo downrange. Unfortunately the gun will jam once or twice in each three or four magazines fired. Makes absolutely no difference what the shape of the cartridge is, I've shot them all and the gun doen't care. It jams on all types. I would trust it a little to be a home defense gun but it's never going to get carried. Jamming once in 500 rounds eliminates it as a carry weapon. I wouldn't even recommend it for home defense.

Personally, if I were looking for a 45 I would look at a glock, an XD, or ruger's P345.

Bersas are great project guns:

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Those are some pretty grips you have on that Bersa. Did you make them yourself?
    No, I am not that talented. I did install them all by myself, though.
    Scroll down to the 1st picture.
    Marschalgrips.com
    Life is too short to be serious!

I inherited one from my dad.
    This one needed some work to run reliably. The safety on the slide would rotate during firing and allow either a decock on slide close, or just the 'inbetween decock and fire' leaving no trigger action. I rewelded and moved the detents onthe selector to cure that right up.
    And on the first magazine, one of the trigger bar springs split in half. Since chasing out those bugs it has been 100% reliable.

It shoots very well, very comfy and not at all harsh.

It's not exactly a small gun though. The Bersa single stack .380 is a whisker larger than a Sig P239 with an equal number of .357 or .40....

Good shooting gun, absolutely.

TGC
    I have one, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Excellent gun. If the exact same weapon cost $300 more, it would have a much bigger following. A lot of people base their opinions on how much it costs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links