Trip to the Range

This is a discussion on Trip to the Range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from a trip to the range and I still have a lot of practicing to do, but it went well. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to the Range

Trip to the Range

I just got back from a trip to the range and I still have a lot of practicing to do, but it went well. I rented a Glock 30 and I was more accurate with it than my Sig P220. I believe it is because it was an unfamiliar gun and I didnít anticipate the trigger break. At seven yards I made a nice neat hole in the ten ring with 50 rounds. I believe I will be purchasing the 30sf for my CCW soon. I then proceeded to fire my P220 and I noticed that I was not as accurate even though I know my Sig is more accurate than I am. I noticed after a while that I was anticipating the gun firing and jerked quite a bit. How can I fix this? Is this just a practice thing? I tried some rapid fire drills at 10 yards where I fired the gun as fast as I could control it (about 3 a second) for 9 rounds and a 8 round quick reload and managed to keep all but few in the 9-ring.
    I met a guy at the range who was renting a gun to try out so that he could purchase his first gun and I chatted with him a bit and he said that he was planning to get his CHL later. I also directed him to this site so that he can be better prepared when he goes to take his class. I hope that he goes to the range a lot before the class though. He was missing the target entirely a lot of the time and hit the metal bracket that holds the target a few times. I was a little afraid of being hit by a ricochet.
    I am starting to ramble and am going to stop before I write a novel.

2. Remove Ads

I remember some of the people in my CCW class at the shooting part of the class. Some of em really scared me with their muzzle control (lack of) and their unfamiliarity with their brand new guns.

But I guess we all started somewhere. :)
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    JOIN ME AND TOGETHER WE CAN RULE THE UNIVERSE.......

Welcome to the Dark Side......

Don't worry Sig to Glock happens alot.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Now that you mention it, I went from a P220 to G21 to G23.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    JOIN ME AND TOGETHER WE CAN RULE THE UNIVERSE.......

Welcome to the Dark Side......

Don't worry Sig to Glock happens alot.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Metalman - dry firing will go a long way in fixing your anticipation problem. While nothing replaces live fire, it's cheaper and can be done at home. Balance a dime on the top of your pistol at the front sight (if flat enough) and start (dry) firing. If that dime falls, you're jerking the trigger rather than controlling it.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Opposite here. Went from the G21 and G30 to SIG P220. You did know the P220 trigger has a reset just like a Glock right? Even my SAO has that reset. Don't get me wrong, I'm still hardcore Glock.....just that I'm taking a different path for the 45acp.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Metalman - dry firing will go a long way in fixing your anticipation problem. While nothing replaces live fire, it's cheaper and can be done at home. Balance a dime on the top of your pistol at the front sight (if flat enough) and start (dry) firing. If that dime falls, you're jerking the trigger rather than controlling it.
    I haven't tried it with a dime but I practice dry firing now and then. When I do I am perfectly steady. I only seem to jerk when I know there is live ammo. Its just something I am going to have to work on. I will have to keep dry firing until its natural and I don't think about it when I use live ammo I guess.

I learned another lesson today as well....I will NEVER use Wolf ammo again. It functioned ok; except for one double feed in one hundred rounds. But, it took me so long to clean all the crap out of my gun that I was dizzy from CLP. Also, my right arm looked like I had just dipped it in a bucket of dirt.

here is what helped me get over my flinch. If you have or can rent/barrow a revolver. go to the range load one or two rds in the cylinder give it a spin and close it without looking. Aim the pistol at the target and watch the front sight. I do this 10 to 15 times ie rds every now and then with a s&w 340 sc kickes like an m-80 going off in my hand when I am anticipating, and an m-60 when I learn to relax. When I start shooting my 1911 the .45 feels nice, and I forget all about that recoil.

I went from uspc.40 to glock. so far so good, I do see myself getting a new P30L when they come out in LEM though. I'm still practicing on getting suprised when i shoot...alot of things to think about at once.

Skip the glock and buy an XD most accurate gun I have ever fired! Made me go from ok to good in a single clip!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I went form single shot, to revolvers and then to semi autos.........I like all guns and could defend myself with any good quality weapon wither I had ever fired it or not, just like most people who love firearms, just like most of you. Kind of waiting on going to full autos now.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    I just got back from a trip to the range and I still have a lot of practicing to do, but it went well. I rented a Glock 30 and I was more accurate with it than my Sig P220. I believe it is because it was an unfamiliar gun and I didnít anticipate the trigger break.
    I have not fired the Sig P220, but I am aware that it is a DA/SA, and I assume that that is similar to the Sig 226 with some slack to take up for when firing in SA mode. That is the same problem that I have with the Ruger DA/SA P Series pistols. I love them, but it takes some familiarization for me to be as efficient as I am with my XD.

From all that I have read you will learn to love the Sig P220. I have always appreciated the additional safety factor of having the DA option for the first shot.

Another thing you can do to work on your flinch is to get some snap caps and then load a couple of magazines mixing the caps with live rounds. Load each magazine in a different order and then pick a magazine at random to load the pistol. This kind of exercise will really highlight any kind of flinching problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Thompson View Post
    Another thing you can do to work on your flinch is to get some snap caps and then load a couple of magazines mixing the caps with live rounds. Load each magazine in a different order and then pick a magazine at random to load the pistol. This kind of exercise will really highlight any kind of flinching problem.
    Yep, exactly what I was going to recommend (although I'd use dummy rounds instead of snap-caps just to save a few $)

Also, buy a copy of Shooting Missology, the information on this DVD will improve your shooting.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I seem to go through periods when I start flinching for no apparent reason. So I do the dry fire and snap cap thing as suggested above. Another thing I do is I will switch to shooting a .22 or .380 than go back to the .45. That will often resolve it for me for at least that session. As I said for me it seems to come and go for no reason I can explain. I may not do it for a couple of years other than a shot here or there and than it just comes up. Anyone else have that experience?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links