True pocket guns

This is a discussion on True pocket guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm revising my article on true pocket guns. Your suggestions are welcome: http://www.mouseguns.com/pocksize.htm Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True pocket guns

True pocket guns

I'm revising my article on true pocket guns. Your suggestions are welcome:
    http://www.mouseguns.com/pocksize.htm
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Had a quick look over Marshall - not sure at first glance whether much needs added or changed. Seems very nicely covered.

May I suggest you take a peek at something else tho - which may be of interest. Guy on THR not so long ago put together a chart type deal with a lot of small guns and it does give some quite handy representative comparisons. It went thru several incarnations but IIRC the one I show is pretty much his latest.

It is on my R9 FAQ site and this is the relevent page. You'll see a link to a PDF file - the pic on that page is only for starters, as definition not brilliant.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What about the ORIGINAL pocket gun... the Derringer. I don't see it mentioned anymore. Where can you get a major defense caliber, like .38, 9mm or .45 in a gun the size of a Kel Tec. While it may have fewer shots compared to the semi-autos or revolvers, it's much more concealable than 99% of them and I would not feel unarmed with two shot's of 9mm or even .45 in my pocket. Also, they can be purchased for as little as $100 in most cases. I've had a Davis .32 for over 15 years and NEVER had a malfunction. The gun is simplicity itself and takes 2 seconds to break down for cleaning or relaoding. I almost bought another last month in 9mm, but was talked into buying a KT P3AT instead. I like the KT, but it cost twice as much as the Derringer and a derringer never has a FTF/FTE problem or lost mags. Something to consider!

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...tachmentid=511
    Last edited by rachilders; December 4th, 2005 at 11:32 AM.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

If the definition is a pistol that will fit in the pocket, how about the Bersa Thunder 380? I've got one, and it fits in all my pants pockets with no problem. It's not wide, has fairly flat sides, and in most of my pants makes no imprint.

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks - I had not given consideration to Derringers so yeah - they certainly could feature and then as Al mentions - the Thunder .380. I have one (well - wife has ''taken it over''!) - but in the right pocket that can disappear.

Perhaps the rear pocket test is a little harsh, as so much depends on pants style - plus, my wife can carry the Bersa very nicely this time of year in the big front pocket of a ''hoodie'' sweatshirt/fleece type deal.
    Chris - P95

I have one requirement for a pocket gun.

It must have ability to be fired repeated times from a pocket.

My choice is an internal hammer revolver. My gun is a S&W 642.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

How the heck do you go about getting one of these R-9's? They are rare!!!

Assistant Administrator
    R9's are not so much just rare tho yeah - not too many around yet - maybe 800 or so. But there is quite a long waiting list, unless you hit lucky with a dealer who has just got some in.

Main deal is cost - very expensive gun at now IIRC over $1k. I have not regretted getting mine - one very early one, now safe queen - and a second for carry (BUG usually).

Chris - P95

"There are also those who claim that Smith and Wesson Ultralight J-frame revolvers can be pocket guns. Some of them are definitely light enough. For example the 342 Airlite Titanium weighs only 12 ounces, and carries five .38 special cartridges. However the j-frame revolvers are really too long (6.5 inches) and thick (1.3 inches) to be true pocket pistols."

I disagree. I carry my 340PD in my pocket every day. Maybe you need deeper pockets. :D

Of course it's a personal thing...

My pockets can't even hold the P-11, let alone a S&W 340Pd, much as I love that revolver!

If your pockets are big enough, and you don't mind the weight swishing back and forth on your leg, then more power to you!

I wear a S&W 342PD in a Safariland pocket holster in 511, dress trousers and PJ's. To me this works but will also this will not work for someone with fairly tight jeans.

To me the 342 is a true pocket gun since it meets my requirements.

I have to agree with you on a full size 1911 can not be considered a pocket gun unless you are a vary tall and large person
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    The R9 is excellent, lucky P95. Here's hoping the KT can beef up a wee bit for it too. The AMD 45 Backup was a good one too.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I went to the Tampa gunshow on Sunday were there were a few sellers of the R9's....not cheap though.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

J frames NOT fit for pocket holsters???!! I think you need to research that a bit more, sir. I am not trying to falem you or be disrespectful.
    At least one state issues J frames for off side front pocket carry for their troopers.
    Guys from the size of 5'9" Massad Ayoob to 6'7" Bill Jordan carry (past tense for Mr.Jordan) J frames in the left hand front pocket.
    I have carried a 442 for 12 years, a M60 or a 642 for 4 years and a CA Off Duty before that for 5 years. I carried a 3" 632 when wearing Dockers for a few years it worked great.
    J frame sized guns are pocket guns with the right attire and holsters. I have carried mine in everything from jeans to dress slacks in jobs from construction to banking.
    J frames are the standard by which I measure all other pocket pistols.

Nice site just the same.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    One of my reasons for choosing a pocket gun would not be one that you can shoot in your pants pocket.I can't even imagine having to do that. In a loose fitting coat,jacket,or vest,with large pockets, is something else. Take a look at the specs of the little KelTec .32's and especially the .380's. Remembering that thickness of weapon really counts for a pocket piece.For the overall size(dementions) weight,and firepower, is their anything smaller ?? --------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links