Front sight removal on a Sig Sauer P-226

This is a discussion on Front sight removal on a Sig Sauer P-226 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. Does anyone know a way I can take off the front sight on my Sig P-226 without the use of a sight pusher ...

Thread: Front sight removal on a Sig Sauer P-226

Hey guys. Does anyone know a way I can take off the front sight on my Sig P-226 without the use of a sight pusher tool? Step by step instructions would be very appreciated
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

I would call some gun stores and see if anybody has the tool and see if they would change them for you cheap.any other way and you are looking at damaging the finish on the gun and or sights
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    1. Make sure the gun is unloaded
    2. Completely field strip the slide as per instruction manual
    3. Place slide in padded vice, but don't crank down hard - just enough to hold the slide in place. If you don't have a padded vice, a normal one will work if you place leather or soft wood strips on either side of the slide.
    4. Place a brass punch (the widest one you can find that will still fit into the dovetail groove) against the BASE of the front sight, NOT AGAINST THE BLADE ITSELF!!
    5. Tap the punch with a light hammer as necessary to push it out of the slide. I don't remember if Sigs are direction specific in how they install, but I do remember them being pretty snug, so you might have to use a little bit of force.

TADAH!! Your front sight is now removed!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I suppose you could use a rubber mallet and some dowel rod. Your best bet is to find someone in your area with a sight pusher tool--use the correct tool for the job needed.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    3. Place slide in padded vice, but don't crank down hard - just enough to hold the slide in place. If you don't have a padded vice, a normal one will work if you place leather or soft wood strips on either side of the slide.
    4. Place a brass punch (the widest one you can find that will still fit into the dovetail groove) against the BASE of the front sight, NOT AGAINST THE BLADE ITSELF!!
    5. Tap the punch with a light hammer as necessary to push it out of the slide. I don't remember if Sigs are direction specific in how they install, but I do remember them being pretty snug, so you might have to use a little bit of force.

I removed my old sights on my P220 exactly as you described above but instead of a brass punch I used a quarter inch common steel flat nose punch with a fired .25cal shell slipped over the tip. It left some brass smudges which were removed with bore solvent. BTW those original sights were tight.

I removed my old sights on my P220 exactly as you described above but instead of a brass punch I used a quarter inch common steel flat nose punch with a fired .25cal shell slipped over the tip. It left some brass smudges which were removed with bore solvent. BTW those original sights were tight.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Interesting way to improvise, bluesteel. BTW, I have had pretty good luck using a pencil eraser to remove unwanted brass marks.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post

Remove the sight from left to right, and install the new one in the same direction.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm a little bit nervous about scratching my baby lol. The gunsmith I called quoted $70 and a week turnaround. I might just get a set of glow inserts till I save up the cash for installation.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people".
    -- V for Vendetta

NRA Associate Member

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    It helps to mark the sight and slide with a pencil if you intend to put the sight back on or are adjusting the sight.

Sponsored Links