glock g30 ammo

This is a discussion on glock g30 ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i picked up a g30 and was wondering what people were using for carry ammo. i picked up a box of hornaday .45 +p 230gr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glock g30 ammo

glock g30 ammo

i picked up a g30 and was wondering what people were using for carry ammo. i picked up a box of hornaday .45 +p 230gr TAP. the dealer i bought the gun from recommended it. i didnt realize until i got home that they were +p. is there any problem with using +p in the g30?

on a side note, i loaded the magazine up and manually cycled the action and the slide hangs up on the first round. and a few times after that. it doesnt retract much more than a half inch when it does this. i'll have to shoot it to really see if anything is wrong.

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Your fine with +P in the G30. Mines loaded with the +P TAP right now. I haven't settled on a load for this gun just yet but so far, the TAP load and CorBon's 230 +P have been exceptionally accurate. I've also found the to be very shootable out of the 30.

For target practice believe it or not the lowest price ammo I still find is at WalMart, I use Winchester 230 gr FMJ. At $30 for a box of 100, no one has ever touched it. Now for defense rounds I have shot also Winchester 230 JHP, haven't used much else yet, but for the money you can't beat it.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

For carry, Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

For practice, a box of 1000 Federal American Eagle Pistol Ammo 45 ACP 230 Grain FMJ

Excellent training ammo, btw, at a pretty good price.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

btw, you might try loading only 9 in the magazine (assuming your mag holds 10). You'll be a lot happier. After chambering, you can add one more if you want for carry.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

Quote Originally Posted by desertccw View Post
    btw, you might try loading only 9 in the magazine (assuming your mag holds 10). You'll be a lot happier. After chambering, you can add one more if you want for carry.
    yes the magazine holds 10. i will practice with 9, but i'd like to carry 10+1 if i can. more bangs! more bangs!

---update---

i took the g30 to the range and tried a number of different things and all worked fine. i shot the cheap blazer brass with 10 in the magazine a few times and then 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber and everything functioned perfectly. then i switched to the hornaday TAP and did the same things and everything fed and ejected perfectly with no malfunctions.

and yes it is accurate. i'm very pleased with the way this gun shoots and feels.

Speer Gold Dot 230gr in my Glock-36...it will serve you well.

Stay armed...don't use cheap ammo...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Like has been said, +P is no problem. I always like to shoot some of my carry ammo to be sure it functions without problems and I also cycle the actual rounds I carry through the weapon before I carry them.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have been carrying Winchester 185gr Silvertips in my Glock 30sf lately. Mas Ayoob recommends them for home defense because the don't tend to over penetrate so I just started carrying them all the time I am just not a big believer in the FBI"s 12-14 inch penetration requirement. Silvertips go about 7-9 inchs and expand to around 70 that should be plenty and not have any through and throughs

Currently use 45 ACP Federal Le Tactical HST 230 gr. +P HP. Seems OK.

B52
    Federal HST 230 gr. +P

on a side note, i loaded the magazine up and manually cycled the action and the slide hangs up on the first round. and a few times after that. it doesnt retract much more than a half inch when it does this. i'll have to shoot it to really see if anything is wrong.

Your problem might be that you are gently letting the slide go back into position. With the glock you should pull the slide all the way back and just let it go. do not baby them they are not ment to be.
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

Any concerns of under expansion given the barrel length is 1.22" under the optimal length of 5"? I am just curious...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bshoe View Post
    Your problem might be that you are gently letting the slide go back into position. With the glock you should pull the slide all the way back and just let it go. do not baby them they are not ment to be.
    i think the problem was that with 10 in the magazine or 10 in the mag plus 1 in the chamber, there is A LOT of spring pressure on the loads and my hand can't pull the slide back as fast or as hard as actually firing the gun. this i think is why it was so hard to retract the slide under this senario.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links