Charter Arms Bulldog users?

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Bulldog users? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems I never see anyone talking about this handgun. Ive had mine a little over 30 years now I think. I purchased it as ...

Thread: Charter Arms Bulldog users?

Charter Arms Bulldog users?

It seems I never see anyone talking about this handgun. Ive had mine a little over 30 years now I think. I purchased it as a nice little tacklebox gun but now sometimes carry it.

I have allways thought that this caliber (44 spcl) is one of the best close range self defense cartridges around. The handgun itself is easily carried as its small and lightweight.

Is it the handgun or the cartridge that makes folks overlook it?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Both. Charter is one of those brands people love to hate, sometimes for good reason and sometimes not.

You're right, 44 special is a superb SD choice, how ever it is not a mainstream caliber anymore, therefore many don't know it exists or at least they don't know much about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ive got also, its about 15 yrs old.... bought it for a truck gun, Ive always liked it.

Due to the rising costs of ammunition these days, the .44 Special is probably passed over for the cheaper to shoot .38 Special, which in +P loads is a fairly potent self defense round itself.
    God bless our troops!

I picked up a used one a few months ago. Only a year old, so one of the newer generation. I like it, it's lighter than my 640 and makes a bigger hole. Probably will be my winter EDC.
    But I'd say price of ammunition. Isn't too much if you reload- .44spl brass isn't bad. Factory stuff isn't cheap around here, more pricey than .44 mag! A friend of mine was interested in one, but afraid of the price of ammo. Factory defensive ammo is on par with other calibers, at least.

I have 2 Charter 44 spl Pugs, bought them both for about 165.00 each, they both shoot well and are great SD guns.........
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I didnt take into account the ammo costs. Ive been a reloader since I was in 6th grade. Been a 44 mag shooter since 1967. Reloading made choosing a 44 spcl pocket gun a no-brainer.
    Its to bad folks overlook this cartridge. No need for fancy bullets. A slow moving 240 gr lead bullet will do some damage.

Michael

Charter Arms Bulldog

I also have a Bulldog and S&W 696. I like them both but the Bulldog is smaller and easy to CCW. I am able to use my .44 speed strips with either hand cannon.

I recently picked up my third Charter about a week ago. I got a .38 Off Duty. I also purchased a set of the full size grips. I have two Simply Rugged Silver Dollar holsters that have the option of going inside the waist with removable belt loop snaps. Sorry I went a bit nuts on the pics.

My wife has one and loves the 44 special and it's scary how good she can shoot it. I reload all her ammo for her. A load of 16gr of 2400 behind a Sierra 180gr JHP is real pleasant to shoot out of it.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Years ago while a very junior rookie cop I found 50+ empties at the range, so used this contrived excuse to buy my first .44 Bulldog.
    Never, ever regretted it!
    Traded off the original and replaced it very shortly thereafter with a spurless-hammer model.
    A good and persuasive friend who can argue powerfully and most convincingly in my behalf!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I bought a used bulldog from a buddy for $200....great gun.It's a 1st gen w/ a bobbed hammer.I pocket carry in a Nemesis holster.I put the rubber combat grips on it,it makes it roughly the same size as a j frame(just thicker).Not fun to shoot a whole box w/ the little grips.The gun has been 100% and actually has a really nice trigger.I don't shoot it a lot becasue of the ammo cost,but i do love it.I understand some have gotten lemons and a re leary of CA,but I have had zero problems.As oppossed to my smith and wesson 642 that has gone back twice......go figure.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan21 View Post
    I also have a Bulldog and S&W 696. I like them both but the Bulldog is smaller and easy to CCW. I am able to use my .44 speed strips with either hand cannon.
    Where did you get your speed strips? I have a Charter 2000 Bulldog, great revolver, and can only find speedloaders for it.

Thanks.

Charter Arms Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by Shagrat View Post
    Where did you get your speed strips? I have a Charter 2000 Bulldog, great revolver, and can only find speedloaders for it.

Thanks.
    Looks like fellow member Danimal posted a picture on this thread of my .44 speed strip with his .44 handgun. PM me for more info.

Links