Aluminum J frame finish..........

This is a discussion on Aluminum J frame finish.......... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought a new 637 and I really like it for pocket carry but I've noticed the clear coat crap can be scratched off with a ...

Thread: Aluminum J frame finish..........

Aluminum J frame finish..........

Bought a new 637 and I really like it for pocket carry but I've noticed the clear coat crap can be scratched off with a fingernail so why do they even bother with it? I have to wonder why they didn't go with a clear or grey type III hard anodizing? I tried to get an answer from S&W but some office type only said they have never had a complaint about the coating they use which is obviously BS! If the aluminum turns to crap like some here indicate I'll have to go with a 60.

2. Remove Ads

Might be a bad run from the factory? If they don't know about it, I'd bet they'll fix the defect.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelenkajl View Post
    Bought a new 637 and I really like it for pocket carry but I've noticed the clear coat crap can be scratched off with a fingernail so why do they even bother with it? I have to wonder why they didn't go with a clear or grey type III hard anodizing? I tried to get an answer from S&W but some office type only said they have never had a complaint about the coating they use which is obviously BS! If the aluminum turns to crap like some here indicate I'll have to go with a 60.
    Congratulations on the 637! Great choice - I carry one too. Mine has a few scratches on it, but is holding up really well. I would not worry too much about it - any carry piece is going to get some character. The important thing - it goes bang every time.

I recently purchased a 642 w/ the same problem. I contacted S&W and sent it back. They refinished the entire gun and I had it back in less than 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by zelenkajl View Post
    Bought a new 637...but I've noticed the clear coat crap can be scratched off with a fingernail so why do they even bother with it?
    My 637 lost its clear coat finish like a bad sun burn. It came off in sheets when I used Polymer Safe Gun Scrubber during a cleaning. I sent it back to S&W and they refinished it for free. They even paid for the two-way shipping. The new finish is really nice and I can still use Gun Scrubber on it.

I know it's a pain sending it back, but for what it's worth, I had a good experience with their customer service.
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

Get it refin'ed. Allowing unimpeded oxidation is damaging to the integrity of your frame, long-term.

Administrator
    When I bought my 442, I had every intention of it being a beaten workhorse that it was meant to be. At the price I paid, I honestly don't expect the finish to hold up to the daily abuse a carry gun will see.
    I have plans to refinish when the stock finish does go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Finish

Just bob that hammer and throw on some duracoat in flat black. No finish worries now other than the cylinder wear from my kydex holster. Its not pretty, but effective.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I had a 637, now have a 642; the clearcoat finish will show signs of wear at some point or another. I looked into hard coating my gun but learned that you really can't hard coat (i.e., chrome etc.) this gun because you have two metals, the aluminim frame and then the barrel. One shop said they'd do it but would have to remove the barrel and would not guarauntee that they could do so and then put it back on without damage and so they said I'd have to pay for any damage.

Bottomline; this isn't going to be a pretty gun if you actually do carry it. Accept that it'll look rough after some years of carry and scratched after some months. If you can't accept that, then get a mdl 60 in stainless. At least with stainless you have all kinds of re-finish options to include getting a bead blast finish.

If you want a pretty gun; buy one and don't pocket carry it.

If the finish is defective then get it back to S&W but if yours are like me the clearcoat just has some practical limitations.

For all around wear, I like stainless the best but it's heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by mhm2a View Post
    Just bob that hammer and throw on some duracoat in flat black. No finish worries now other than the cylinder wear from my kydex holster. Its not pretty, but effective.
    Wow that looks GREAT! Who did the work??

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I had a 637, now have a 642; the clearcoat finish will show signs of wear at some point or another. I looked into hard coating my gun but learned that you really can't hard coat (i.e., chrome etc.) this gun because you have two metals, the aluminim frame and then the barrel.
    I had my 442 hard chromed by Ford's...they had to put a nickel substrate under the chrome for it to adhere to the aluminum....but you are correct that most chromers won't bother or don't know how to hard chrome aluminum....

I did the duracaot myself. It turned out very well and has held up so far ( only a couple of months) Just get the duracoat kit and follow the directions. It will make you want to duracoat everything you own. Well almost everything.

Links