Defensive Carry banner

Definitions: "BBQ", "truck", etc.

5K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  rachilders 
#1 ·
I greatly appreciate the way everyone here shares their wisdom and knowledge - thanks to everyone (including Gecko45).

But while I know some of the shorthand used here, I worry that I'm missing nuances - for instance, I worry about "truck guns" since nobody here in the hills locks their vehicles and I don't want to leave a weapon unsecured... you get the idea.

Please help me and the other newbies with some definitions - I'll start it off with one I think I know (corrections welcome):

BBQ gun: a nice gun you wear to show off to your pals who carry, presumably at an event like a barbecue. Extra points for a snazzy holster.

Truck Gun:

Tacklebox Gun:

[any other jargon that needs defining]

#2 ·
OK....I'll take a shot at one.....

A Truck Gun:.....a gun significantly large enough to blow away a truck and its contents without even blinking.

Something that you are proud of.....and whip outa your truck to show it off. Like the below:

#4 ·
Different take on it

I agree with your definition of the barbeque gun - fancy, flashy, ornamental and in a nice holster.

But I feel that a "truck" gun is one that is beat up and inexpensive enough that you can leave it hidden in your truck without much fear of it being damaged or stolen. The truck gun works well, but it is sort of a clunker to look at. A 40 year old revolver with the finish worn off and chipped grips would qualify.

A tacklebox gun is a little like a truck gun, but with the added features of being fairly waterproof and small enough to fit in a tacklebox. Something like an old Glock 26 would be a good tacklebox gun.

#9 ·
I agree with your definition of the barbeque gun - fancy, flashy, ornamental and in a nice holster.

But I feel that a "truck" gun is one that is beat up and inexpensive enough that you can leave it hidden in your truck without much fear of it being damaged or stolen. The truck gun works well, but it is sort of a clunker to look at. A 40 year old revolver with the finish worn off and chipped grips would qualify.

A tacklebox gun is a little like a truck gun, but with the added features of being fairly waterproof and small enough to fit in a tacklebox. Something like an old Glock 26 would be a good tacklebox gun.
+1

I think you hit the nail on the head, as far as the definition goes for handguns.

#5 ·
For me

Truck gun: Usually a long gun that is inexpensive, reliable and durable that is left in your car as a SHTF gun.

Tackle Box gun: Same as above but usually a handgun to be carried in the glove compartment or tackle box.

Edited to add

My personal Truck Gun: Norinco Model 982 12ga
TackleBox Gun: Rossi 357 Stainless with 4" barrel (and horrible trigger)

#7 ·
For me

Truck gun: Usually a long gun that is inexpensive, reliable and durable that is left in your car as a SHTF gun.

Tackle Box gun: Same as above but usually a handgun to be carried in the glove compartment or tackle box.
me too...

#6 ·
My daffynition:

Truck gun: Long gun that I carry in the vehicle (in my case pickup trucks). I usually use a Winchester 94.

Tackle Box Gun: Something to kill snakes with, could be handgun with shot shells or small bore shotgun.

#8 ·
The Winchester 94 is the all-time classic truck gun. Although now that their value is increasing (since Winchester is defunct), that might not be the case much longer.

I remember in the old Sears catalog, they used to sell the J.C. Higgins "Fisherman's Special", a 2" barrel .22 revolver, billed as ideal for the tackle box.

#10 ·
Funny, the first .22 rifle I ever shot was a JC Higgins. I see a truck gun as a reliable, simple long gun with iron sights, equally capable of dispatching a hit deer as it is killing a predatory animal on a farm. My choice for such a gun would be either a 30-30 or .357 magnum carbine. Of course, I don't have a truck, so my opinion is moot.

#13 ·
I see a truck gun as a reliable, simple long gun with iron sights, equally capable of dispatching a hit deer as it is killing a predatory animal on a farm. My choice for such a gun would be either a 30-30 or .357 magnum carbine. Of course, I don't have a truck, so my opinion is moot.
+1 on the truck gun. A beat up levergun is the traditional choice, as far as I can tell.

As far as the tackle-box gun...it may also be referred to as a "Kit Gun", basically something you can throw in your backpack at a moment's notice; something that can fit in a tackle box, and is reliable as hell given the elements (almost always a small revolver), and can provide protection against two-legged and other creatures. Shotshells for snakes is a good example. Of course, some people will put a little .22 auto (rather than say a Ruger Single Six) in their kit for plinking and emergency hunting of small game. The kit gun may vary with location (e.g., an Alaskan kit gun may be in .44mag in case of bears) and/or purpose (see plinking above).

#14 ·
I prefer a little more modern truck gun... I keep an AK in there right now, but will probably swap out to a mini-14 if it ever arrives... both are 100% reliable and accurate enough for the reasons I would need to pull a rifle out of my truck.

I don't go fishing, but I suppose an extra handgun for my "tackle box" would be a good idea...

#15 ·
I always considered a "truck gun"to be one that could be put to use from inside the cab very quickly. Back in the days of "gun racks", I did always have a .22 rifle and a break down shotgun hanging on the rack. This was late 60's-early 70's, and included the high school parking lot. Even though they were technically in the truck, they were not easily available for "quick" shots unless they were out of the rack, in the floor board and leaning against the seat. Still they weren't that easy to direct a shot from inside the truck.I agree with the idea that a "truck gun" should be a handgun that could be considered to be expendable, although reliable. A "tacklebox gun" is always a handgun, normally an old revolver, carried with two or three shot shells and two or three hard balls. Those of us that do fish a lot normally have more than a single tacklebox, so there's normally a dry place to keep the "tb" gun.

surv

#16 ·
Yep.

A truck gun to me would be something like an old Double Barrel coach gun or a lever action gun.

A tackle box gun would always be a small Revolver often loaded with Snake shot. Normally a cheaper one like a Charter Arms undercover or something like that.

Camp gun gets into all sorts of revisions. Game gun or protection or often one for each. Always a .410 double or a .22lr (or combo) and a .357 Magnum or 44 Magnum (Magnum being the optive word it must have) revolver of some 6" or longer barrel and holster worn openly. That one is sort of a BBQ gun done ugly.

#19 ·
Snake Charmer = NE .410 single shot!!

#22 ·
Another term is Woods Guns.

Good example in lever action long gun is a 30-30, 357, 44, 45LC, 45-40 or like magnum cartridge.

Then a matching revolver in the same caliber (except 30-30).

Both are suitable for hunting, looks right tied on a saddle and completely reliable.

#24 ·
The one that got me when I first started reading the forums was EDC.. Kept reading "my EDC gun", "I love my EDC" Well I even googled for this great gun everyone was talking about, till I figured out EDC was EVERY DAY CARRY!! :duh:

#26 ·
what about the night stand gun ? I am sure this will make some people think

#27 ·
Truck Gun = Springfield XD Put it in the truck, just in case.

Tackle box gun = Glock Put it in the tackle box in case you're having a bad day on the water and the fish won't bite anything else. At least you won't miss it, unlike that expensive lure you wrapped around a stump!:gah:

#28 ·
Tackle box gun = Glock Put it in the tackle box in case you're having a bad day on the water and the fish won't bite anything else. At least you won't miss it, unlike that expensive lure you wrapped around a stump!:gah:
Lou Costello: I'd rather have a Glock than a 1911.

Bud Abbott: Why's that? A 1911 has a lot of advantages.

Lou Costello: Well I could be out in the wilderness one day and drop my 1911 in a lake.

Bud Abbott: That makes no sense. If you had a Glock, it could fall into a lake too.

Lou Costello: Sure, but who'd care?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.