Help me decide which gun to sell!

This is a discussion on Help me decide which gun to sell! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here is what I have: Glock 26, Glock 23, Keltec P3at. Keltec P11, Sig 239(.40), kahr PM9 and SW 642. I just bought a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide which gun to sell!

Ok here is what I have: Glock 26, Glock 23, Keltec P3at. Keltec P11, Sig 239(.40), kahr PM9 and SW 642. I just bought a Kimber Pro CDP II. I want to sell a gun to offset my new purchase. I was thinking of selling the Sig 239 because it is the same size as my new 1911 and has the same capacity of a smaller caliber bullet. The Keltec P11 is an expensive paperweight that nobody wants, the Glocks are reliable and have great capacity, P3at and Kahr great for summer. The SW 642 isn't a great performer and isn't the smallest, but it adds to my collection. So what do you think?

Suggestions

I think I own about 4 and a half of the guns on your list, including the Sig P239 and the Kimber Pro CDP. From what you said, the Keltec P11 sale would seem to be a given. But it probably isn't worth enough to offset your Kimber purchase by very much.

You mentioned a .40 caliber Sig P239 as a candidate, implying that .40 has less "pop" than .45. I'm not sure I would agree with this, as I've always felt that .40 and .45 are in the same league from a stopping or effectiveness standpoint, using the best ammo. Personally I would feel equally protected by 8 rounds of .40 as 8 rounds of .45. And the P239 is a slightly more reliable and easily concealable gun than the Kimber, in my experience. So I wouldn't consider it less attractive than the Kimber for defensive use.

Since you have two Glocks, why don't you sell one of them?
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I should probably ditch the Glock 23. It has great capacity but seems redundant, if I own the Sig 239. The SW 642 is cool, but not really practical for me. It is the same size as the Glock 26 and not accurate at all.

642 has a place in the world...

I also have a S&W 642, and its main advantages are reliability, extremely light weight and small size, so it works as a pocket gun. But as you point out, it is very difficult to shoot accurately at any distance, because of the heavy DA trigger and the light weight. I think it is only useful at very short range when an attacker is right on top of you and you aren't really aiming anyway. But that can happen sometimes.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I also have a S&W 642, and its main advantages are reliability, extremely light weight and small size, so it works as a pocket gun. But as you point out, it is very difficult to shoot accurately at any distance, because of the heavy DA trigger and the light weight. I think it is only useful at very short range when an attacker is right on top of you and you aren't really aiming anyway. But that can happen sometimes.
    I think the S&W is a goner..............

I would get rid of both Glocks and the Sig 239 and then I would buy another Kimber.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Easy ... get rid of the KelTec's. The rest are first-rate firearms; IMO the KT's are just barely above Lorcins and Ravens.

The S&W 642 is actually VERY useful as a BUG. You want a BUG to be absolutely 100% reliable, and I think most would agree a good auto-loader is going to fail before a good revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    Easy ... get rid of the KelTec's. The rest are first-rate firearms; IMO the KT's are just barely above Lorcins and Ravens.

The S&W 642 is actually VERY useful as a BUG. You want a BUG to be absolutely 100% reliable, and I think most would agree a good auto-loader is going to fail before a good revolver.
    I guess I can just keep them all and not sell any? I have to admit both Keltecs have been very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post

I guess I can just keep them all and not sell any? I have to admit both Keltecs have been very reliable.

Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner!

I have a simple rule. Absent a completely unreliable, non-functioning lemon, I will never sell or trade another gun that I own.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    If you must sell one, I'd sell the G26 or the 239. But if I chose the 239 to sell, I'd end up selling the G23 along with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't you ever get bored of a gun or find you never carry a particular gun. My 642, for example, although it may be reliable is a pos in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you must sell one, I'd sell the G26 or the 239. But if I chose the 239 to sell, I'd end up selling the G23 along with it.
    Why would you ditch the 239 AND the 23?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    Why would you ditch the 239 AND the 23?
    Because they are the two "oddball" calibers on your list. Sell both .40's and you just have to stock 9mm and 45 ammo. I did this a few years ago, and its much simplier to keep a good supply of what I shoot most. The 3AT and 642 are niche guns, I dont consider them combat guns, so stocking a decent quanity of 380/38 is a non issue.

Also, if you're convinced that the 642 is no good, you might as well sell it too. Or just spend some time with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You say you don't care for the S&W 642. So sell it, they are quite popular, selling should be NO problem to one of our many forum members. And since you don't like your P11, dump that too ! Why hang on to guns you don't like a didn't use ?? Eventually your heirs will sell them, so you may as well get the cash now. I've got guns too that I don't use.................but ,I LIKE THEM !

Of the list there, I would sell the 239.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links