Lost confidence in my gun

This is a discussion on Lost confidence in my gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stopped at my favorite shooting spot to practice with my EDC gun, Kel-Tec P-3at. To my surprise 4 magazines 2 of which were H.P.'s ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost confidence in my gun

Distinguished Member

I stopped at my favorite shooting spot to practice with my EDC gun, Kel-Tec P-3at. To my surprise 4 magazines 2 of which were H.P.'s and 2 were FMJ's, misfeeds in all 4. The gun was very dry, and somewhat dirty, but not all that bad.

I have to admit that I had not shot it for 2 months, but in the past this gun had been flawless right out of the box. I did not even clean it the first trip to the range when it was new!

So now the $68.00 question---at what point do you put it back in service for your EDC???? If you have had FTF's or FTE's do you ever feel 100% again with your CCW, or do you put it out of CCW service??

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    If you have had FTF's or FTE's do you ever feel 100% again with your CCW, or do you put it out of CCW service??

Z

1. No, not I.
    2. Put it out of CCW service or sell it.
    Sorry, just my 2 cents.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Been there. If you're not confident with it, don't carry it. Hopefully you have a back up.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Well, I would take it out of service until you can determine the cause of the malfunctions.

It could have been just not lubricated properly. If that's the case, you should start cleaning and lubing it more frequently.

EDC guns tend to dry out quicker than you would think. They pick up lent, lube gets wicked away from the gun due to your clothing and exposure to air, etc.

If proper cleaning a lubrication rectifies the problem, I see no reason why you can't go on carrying it.

If it doesn't fix the problem, dig a little deeper as to what types of ammo you are using and closely scrutinize the magazines for bent feed lips, springs, cracked follower and overall reliability of the magazines. I don't know how you carry your spare mags, but they do get worn and bent if not carried in a magazine carrier on you belt.

If you can not bring it back up to the reliable weapon it once was, then it may be time to retire it from EDC or sell it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Well said Bark'n. Every weapon has the the possibility of failure. If it ran well before I see no reason it can't be made to perform again.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Get religious with your maintainence. You put gas and oil in your car right? Start doing a weekly checkup. Look at it like a life Insurance policy. I have lost confidence in a firearm before. The only way to correct this is to keep it clean and run enough ammo through it where you feel comfy again. Remember, No gun is 100%.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I keep all my guns in a service rotation. I try to spend the early part of Sunday evening giving them a once-over by removing the slide and re-applying a thin film of grease. I find that auto-loaders prefer grease, and not oil. Oil is fine for the exterior wipe down but the internals should have some quality grease at all friction points.

When I do a full take-down of the internals I like to use a dry moly dust on the hammer mechanisms as well but that only happens 3-4 times a year.

I understand how it feels to lose confidence in a gun. I recently lost it in a S&W M&P .40c that would not cycle properly in practically any situation. That is why it is important to have a robust selection of weapons from which to choose. I would give it a good going over and then cycle a few different types of ammo through it before throwing in the towel.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Remember, No gun is 100%.
    I think I understand what you mean but I've owned pistols that have run 100% from day one through tens of thousands of rounds. There is always the possibility of failure in the future but until that time, I'm quite confident they will work when needed.
    If it were my pistol, I'd try to diagnose and fix the problem and then make sure I put a couple of hundred rounds at least through it with all mags and shoot as much of my carry ammo as I could before I'd trust it again.

I have a P3AT and Bando's right. Keep that P3AT cleaned and lubed. Dirty guns are no-nos. These tales of multi-thousand rounds fired with no cleaning are misleading. Self defense guns require our attention.

Tough call. It's an individual thing for sure. I've had some bum Glock mags I've bought used. That's why one goes to the range when things change, or to shoot out that loaded mag, or to check all functions. Then there's shop/maintenance time...to make sure you've done everything in your power to cure/avoid problems and retain confidence. Then there's the range time again to make sure you've taken out all of the human factors. Confidence? Have confidence in yourself and know when it's time to use or loose that pistol that's caused you concern.

I have had that happen to me and have worked to find the trouble in the gun. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't but Its not good when you get that dark feeling about your EDC. Fix it or Get rid of it.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

It's hard to get the confidence back after a FTF like this.

Fix it or get rid if it seems to be the best advice IMHO.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Had that problem with a Kel-tec P11. Aside from the blisters that shooting the gun caused, I never felt that I could put my life on the line with it. I tried a "Fluff and Buff" etc, without ant improvement. Fortunately I had other guns to carry, but I didn't think any were good for pocket carry. But my Glock 26 proved that to be false. It fit the same Nemesis pocket holster than the P11 did, and the Glock just slides into the pocket of my Dockers perfectly. I sold the blasted thing back to the dealer at a loss, and was happy to get rid of it.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Clean the gun and see if it returns to its former level of reliability.

If it does then you are good to go, just make sure you perform routine maintenance on a regular basis.

Most of the people I work with are not gun enthusiasts but they are required to carry one. When they ask me what they should buy I always recommend a Glock G17/19 as they have the best chance of running if they are neglected.

I

Administrator
    It is important to keep your carry gun clean and lubricated. Your magazines need to be kept clean also. You also need to remember that smaller pocket type pistols need extra close attention because they tend to be more finicky and more sensitive to neglect in general.

There are a few things you can do to improve things with your P3AT.

> Maintain it better.

> Do the "Fluff & Buff" on your P3AT - which will somewhat cut down on feed friction.

> Switch to a slippery gun grease for rail lube AKA a product like Jardines Extreme.

> Another Option:
    Have the slide, barrel, and recoil spring guide professionally polished & Hard Chrome plated which will greatly reduce feed friction.
    Since the P3AT is such a small firearm that is not too expensive to have done.

> Keep your magazines internally clean.

> Try a different brand of ammo that feeds easier in your particular handgun.

That should help reinstate your confidence.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links