Colt Defender or other 3 inch 1911??

This is a discussion on Colt Defender or other 3 inch 1911?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about moving up to a 45 caliber carry gun from a 9mm or .380. I would welcome any advice on selecting a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm thinking about moving up to a 45 caliber carry gun from a 9mm or .380. I would welcome any advice on selecting a good quality 45 caliber auto with a three inch barrel.
    Is any one of them carried more often than the others are? What features are desirable in a 45?

There are more than a few choices....Kimber Ultra, Kahr PM45, Colt Defender, and the new Colt New Agent etc.....

Alot of folks have the Kimber Ultra or the Springfield equivalent. I was looking at the Colt New Agent as well as the Kahr P45 (3.5" bbl, slightly bigger than the PM45). The little Colt is streamlined for CCW (trench sight, etc) and has been getting good reviews. The Kahrs also have been received positively.

Some folks with the Kimber and Springfield variants have had trouble with reliability. I won't go into the detail, a search of the forum will give you tons of feedback on the issues as well as plenty of opinions.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    There are mixed reviews as far as reliability goes out there on the 3-inch 1911's.

Having said that, I got a Colt New Agent less than two weeks ago and have shot it 3 times. On two of those three occasions, I shot the snot out of it, and have had no issues. Absolutely none, and I TRIED to get the doggoned thing to jam (limp wrist, more than one kind of ammo in the magazine, shoot sideways, upside down, etc.).

It is one accurate sucker, too. Some people have trouble with the trench sight. I didn't, not at all. YMMV.

The New Agent is a "go".

As far as features go, that is highly individual. I like the 1911 platform and I like the trench sight. One of the Kahrs, or Glock 36 might carry an extra round or two over the 3-inch 1911's...I'm not sure. My New Agent carries 7 plus one in the pipe. Other folks might just absolutely have to have night sights. Others may feel that any sort of external safety is asking for trouble. It's all an individual thing. Still others absolutely require some sort of external safety.

Even among the 3-inch 1911's there is variation. External or internal extractor? Trench sight or "real" sights? On and on and on...

I think the biggest factor with me was how it felt in the hand. Some guns feel better than others. I'll make a lot of allowances for a gun that feels good to hold, 'cause I think I will shoot it better and be more likely to practice with it.

I'll stop rambling and hope (probably in vain) that I've helped, even a little....

When in doubt, BUY BOTH!!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I carry a Kimber UC II, have CT grips and it shoots like a dream. I couldnt believe how accurate this little gun was. During break in, I had the usual hiccups but after about 300 rds of ball ammo, it was good to go and had complete confidence in it as a carry piece. I now have over 1,000 rounds through it and still no issues. Alot of people dont like the officer sized 1911's but they fit my hand better than most other handguns. I'm pleased with mine.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

OD*
    My choice would be the Defender, or New Agent (or a used Officers ACP).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I just traded up from a G19 to a RIA 3" 1911.. * goes back to fondeling it*
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

Also a Colt guy...

I have always had good experience with Colts, and have a number of them. For a 3 inch 1911 I got the Defender about 2 years ago, and it has been very reliable and accurate for me. I should think the Colt New Agent would be equally good, with some interesting features like the trench sights. I haven't owned any other brand of 3 inch 1911. Here is my somewhat modified Defender:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

POGO2:
    I would be interested in seeing some information about your stocks and the beavertail on your Defender. Very good looking!

Response to question

Quote Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post
    POGO2:
    I would be interested in seeing some information about your stocks and the beavertail on your Defender. Very good looking!
    The stocks on my Defender are Officer's size checkered Alumagrips, made by the Alumagrips company in Arizona. They are the "slimline" variety and make for a much thinner gun than the normal 1911.

The beavertail is just the Wilson Combat drop in beavertail, which I like better than the original Colt grip safety. You can put it in yourself without any cutting of the frame, but make sure you buy the correct size part from Wilson - there are several different sizes.

The gun is also modified in having a steel checkered mainspring housing to replace the plastic original, a McCormick aluminum trigger, Wilson magazines and a dehorning of the slide by a gunsmith. It also has a Wilson "bulletproof" slide stop with a small detent hole (drilled by the gunsmith) to engage the plunger positively. This is because at first the slide would sometimes lock back before the magazine was empty.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Check out the Smith CS45 also. Great little 45.

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP II...love the gun. If I had to do it over, I get the same thing.

Have fun shopping.

Stay armed...3" Kimber's conceal very well...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't know what a difference 1/2 inch makes as I've never shot a 3 inch .45, however I own the 3.5 inch Colt Officers and a 3.5 inch Para P-12 and they are awesome shooters. Great combat accuracy, especially out of the ParaOrdnance.

Obviously the slim Colt Officers conceals much easier than the chunky 12 shot Para P-12 but both are great guns.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Lots of good info given to you already, and many good choices of guns out there. I don't have much experience with some of the other guns mentioned, but I do own/shoot a Colt Defender. It has been excellent.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Colt New Agent Owner chiming in . . .

I was previously looking for a small 1911 (defender size) but kept getting turned off by all of the info about reliability and accuracy etc. I gave up and moved on. Just recently got bitten by the bug again and started researching on the 1911 forums on the web and saw nothing but great reviews on the Colt New Agent. I gave in and bought one. It is now ( 2 weeks later) my favorite gun that I have ever owned. Ihave carried Glock, Dan Wesson, Kimber, Ruger and H&K. This little gun has fired everything that I have fed it with out a single issue. I love the looks and it has a character about it. Trench sites are fine . . .I described shooting it to a friend as "switching off the targeting computer" (shameless Star Wars reference.) The little gun was plenty accurate and I'm sure I'll only get better at shooting it. It good to go! Fit, Finish Function 10/10

Tbird

I like my Kimber Ultra Carry...It's been 100% reliable, it's a tack driver and it conceals very well.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links