Hi Cap 1911

Hi Cap 1911

This is a discussion on Hi Cap 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who runs a hi cap 1911. I'm interested in a race gun that could double as a carry gun. I have seen and held the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Cap 1911

VIP Member

Hi Cap 1911

Who runs a hi cap 1911. I'm interested in a race gun that could double as a carry gun. I have seen and held the Para p16 limited .40. I liked it. Thoughts on the Para? Any other ideas? I know Springfield makes a high cap but I don't know anything about it. How bout some help.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

JD
    Administrator
    The only Hi-cap that Springfield makes is a 5" GI model, it's pretty basic if you're looking for a "race gun"

Don't overlook STI and SVI for double stack guns. I've had 4 Paras, my only complaint is the Parakote finish doesn't hold up for squat.

P-14 .45 love it! fully ramped barrel, target barrel, very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Who runs a hi cap 1911. I'm interested in a race gun that could double as a carry gun. I have seen and held the Para p16 limited .40. I liked it. Thoughts on the Para? Any other ideas? I know Springfield makes a high cap but I don't know anything about it. How bout some help.
    Springfield's got one. I would imagine the grip is pretty thick, though.

JD
    Administrator
    Here's some links.

Springfield GI Hi-cap

STI Eagle 5.0

SVI, if you want a double stack made to you're specs, these would be the people to go with.

Regarding the Springers and the Paras, IIRC they are the same grip thickness and IIRC the mags will be interchangeable and run about $50.00 for the Para mags, the STI and SVI mags are more pricey if I'm not mistaken.

If I were to go full out nuts, I'd get a Commander sized SVI in .38Super.

Double 1911

How about a Wilson Combat KZ45 or KZ9 ?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Thanks JD I was hoping you'd chime in. The Strayer Voight (sp?) and the STI guns that are super high end customs aint my thing. I'm looking for a gun to run production class and maybe limited if I get good enough. I think the Para qualifies for both. Street value is about 500 to a grand and a half less than the custom guns. Aside from the finish issues your Paras ran good?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Those STI's look pretty. I'd have to sell one of my kidneys to buy one. But they look soooo GOOD and who needs two kidneys!

I have a P13--12+1 cap and officer's frame/commander slide.

I love it-carry everyday.

Kimber's got one. Mine was Commander-length. Wouldn't feed Hardball!!!! Bought two new magazines, since that's always where you start when you have feeding problems. Maybe mine was just a lemon but it was my first Kimber, and it left a very bad taste in my mouth. If you're looking for a building platform, though, where someone is going to do some work on it, then I wouldn't hesitate. They can fix the feeding troubles too. And the price was right.

I don't mean to knock Kimber. I just doubt I'll ever own another. Never had another Gov't model that wouldn't even feed hardball!

Administrator
    I'd save my lunch money up and buy an STI if you want a race gun. Buy based on price and you will buy twice..then what have you saved?
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy
    Thanks JD I was hoping you'd chime in. The Strayer Voight (sp?) and the STI guns that are super high end customs aint my thing. I'm looking for a gun to run production class and maybe limited if I get good enough. I think the Para qualifies for both. Street value is about 500 to a grand and a half less than the custom guns. Aside from the finish issues your Paras ran good?

Those STI's look pretty. I'd have to sell one of my kidneys to buy one. But they look soooo GOOD and who needs two kidneys!
    Never so much as a hiccup, just get a stainless gun, or plan on getting it refinished within a year if you carry it a lot, i don't know if I still have the pictures, but my Nitehawg's finish had "gone to pot" after about 6 months of every day carry.

The only thing about the Para's is that the double stack grip on the 18-9, 16-40, and 14-45 is all the same outer dimension, so you're not getting a slimmer grip in a non .45ACP gun, and the grip is kind of thick and unshapely.

The only thing that would keep me away from Para is the fact that you want to sometimes carry the gun, and unless you want to go used, you're not going to get anything other than a 5" gun in the double stack config, and a 5" double stack 1911 does get pretty heavy, as I stated, I had both a P16-40 and a 14-45LDA, and they were both hefty guns, then again back then I wasn't using the right belt/holster combination that I am now, so that could very well be a non-issue.

STI doesn't offer much in a non 5" double stack gun, and holster selection may be difficult for 1911s with a squared trigger guard.

I guess it all depends on what you want.

If you want a double stack 9mm, .40, or .45 with a 5" bbl, that will fit normal 1911 holsters without spending more than you want to, go ahead with the Para, but remember that you're going to spend a premium on mags for ANY double stack 1911, I don't think I ever found mags for less than $50.00 ea, and stay the heck away from the Promags, the only times I had issues in my Paras was using that garbage.

Personally, I'd still try to go with the STI 4.15 Tac. Model

Of course I'd ditch that mag well in a heartbeat though.

Why didn't I think of this when I was looking at 9mm 1911s? That would have been almost exactly what I wanted.

IIRC the STI's have a lesser grip circumference than the Para.

As much as I did like my Paras, the fact that I was willing to get rid of them should still tell you something.

My biggest thing with them was the finish, and I just couldn't see investing in a gun that wouldn't keep it's value.

Even after a couple hundred bucks in refinishing, and any smith work, change of sights, I'd still be left with a gun worth $500 +/-.

OD*
    I would also look into a Les Baer;

BAER H.C. 40

This high capacity, precision built custom pistol is a perfect choice for duty, carry or competition. This premium 5” pistol is built on the popular double-stack Caspian frame and it’s chambered in high performance .40 S&W. But, the rest of this beauty is all-1911 and built from the ground-up with the same care and finesse as the rest of Les Baer’s world famous pistols.

Loaded with a total of nineteen rounds of hard hitting .40 caliber ammo (eighteen in the mag, one in the chamber), the H.C. 40 delivers all the firepower you’ll ever need. But, because it’s built by Les Baer Custom, it also delivers the level of extreme accuracy and dependability you’ve come to expect from all Baer firearms, including an accuracy guarantee of 2 1/2” or better at fifty (50) yards. Features include:

Caspian high capacity frame • Special beavertail grip safety •Ambidextrous thumb safety • LBC 5” 40 S&W slide fitted to frame • LBC 40 S&W match barrel with supported chamber fitted with match stainless steel barrel bushing • Double serrations on slide • LBC low mount adjustable rear sight with hidden rear leaf • LBC dovetail front sight • Lowered and flared ejection port • Tuned extractor • Baer extended ejector • Baer checkered slide stop • Match trigger fitted • Crisp 4 lb. trigger pull • Baer deluxe hammer, sear and disconnector • Flat mainspring housing • Integral mag well in frame • Polished feed ramp • Complete tactical package • Pistol tuned for total reliability • Bead blast blue finish on lower and polished sides on slide • Wood grips • (1) 18-round 40 S&W high capacity magazine
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I would also look into a Les Baer;
    OOOOOOOOOH, AAAAAAAHHH! Me likey.

Maybe I could sell both kidneys?

Personally, I'd still try to go with the STI 4.15 Tac. Model

I liked that one the best but I also thought about the holster issue.

That p13 on page one looks nice too and would be easy to carry. Did they ever make those in 40?
    Last edited by JD; August 22nd, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OOOOOOOOOH, AAAAAAAHHH! Me likey.

Maybe I could sell both kidneys?

I liked that one the best but I also thought about the holster issue.

That p13 on page one looks nice too and would be easy to carry. Did they ever make those in 40?

Looking in my books Para made atleast the following models in .40

5" bbl, full frame
    P16-40

4.25"bbl, full frame?
    P15-40

3.5" bbl, compact frame
    P14-40 LDA (a single action model may exist)

3" bbl, micro compact frame
    P10-40

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links