Another member looking for a new carry gun (aren't we all?)

This is a discussion on Another member looking for a new carry gun (aren't we all?) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I知 in the mood to purchase a new carry gun. I知 a big guy and use a OWB paddle holster now and prefer that for ...

Thread: Another member looking for a new carry gun (aren't we all?)

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Another member looking for a new carry gun (aren't we all?)

I知 in the mood to purchase a new carry gun. I知 a big guy and use a OWB paddle holster now and prefer that for comfort and ease of (on off). Weight is always an issue of course but for me and my style of carry size is not as big a deal especially sense I do live in an open carry state so if it gets noticed the world will not end. Also a longer action in a 1911 style or any 45 ACP gun usually functions more reliably from a feed standpoint from what I知 reading here.

I prefer the 45 ACP. Just like the bigger but maybe slower bullets. Hey, if I was going to carry a stick I壇 carry a big one. What I do not like is plastic on metal movement. I know most of you carry synthetic guns and I知 not trying to start an argument here as I知 currently carrying plastic too. But the more I shoot and clean the less I like what I see between the two dissimilar mating surfaces. I壇 like to go to metal on metal and Titanium would be even nicer maybe. I知 not going for one of those $2,750.00 or more custom specials. As much as I壇 love a Wilson Combat or something similar I値l have to wait for my wife to run away first.

So any suggestions would be welcomed. My wife reads here too and is also a CCW gun owner so be gentle ok? Thanks
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well, any all steel or alloy framed 1911 fits the bill, or there's the Sig 220 or 220 carry in a numerous amount of variations.

There's a couple of current threads related to the purchasing of a 1911 going right now, might want to read over what's been mentioned in those.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...der-900-a.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...1911-fans.html

TI framed guns are uber pricey, and would probably put you closer to that $2750 mark than you'd like.

IMHO when metal framed .45s are concerned, there is no equal among single action guns than the 1911, and if DA/SA is your thing, there's no better than the Sig 220.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    From what you have said i would recommend either the sig 220 or a lightweight commander sized 1911 . Ill go out on a limb here and flat state to stay away from kimber lightweights unless you are willing to commit to using only mags with synthetic followers . For some reason kimbers seem worse about ( tho it can happen with any lightweight aluminum frame ) chewing up the feedramp with the common steel ( shooting star style ) follower. The only fix once it happens is to mill out the frame and pin/epoxy in a new feedramp or go with a ramped barrel .
    For the Kimber lovers out there i dont hate Kimbers and have owned more than a couple lol . I just point out a possible pitfall of lightweight frames that i cannot recall seeing happen with smiths , colts , ect . The examples i have seen/ read about have all been Kimbers . I am sure in my own mind that it must be due to the specific alloy they use on frames being a bit " soft " which would help eliminate stress cracks that have been seen from time to time in say Colts . Another fine case of " there aint no free lunch " imho . Point is to be aware of the issue and see to it that it does not happen with a carry gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

What do you carry now?
    With Glocks the bearing surfaces are steel against steel!

What would you think of a Taurus PT1911? The SIG P220 is a very nice shooter BTW.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

thanks

Taurus PT745 is what I carry now. It's an OK gun but just OK. Better than a big stick and not so expensive as to wory about scratches etc. I'm not impressed with the condition of the mating slide surfaces and the action seems to be looser and less smooth all the time. Trigger pull and travel really suck. But I am a fan of the DA/SA action and would prefer to stay with that.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I'll put in my pitch for the Kahr CW9 because it's light. It's a single stack so it is easily concealed and it shoots well too.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

In automatic pistols I've had perfect satisfaction with the 1911 design for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I Weight is always an issue of course but for me and my style of carry size is not as big a deal

If weight and size isnt an issue then check this out at Bud's

PARA TX745S LTD DA 45 5IN 7RDSTER for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $569.00

The LDA trigger is very nice and at 569 bucks its a deal.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I am a big fan of the 1911 design, and own two Kimbers.
    I carry a Kimber ultra carry (Stainless).
    Despite the grumbling often heard on message boards, Kimbers are a high quality firearm right out of the box, but they do need to be broken in (about 500 rounds of FMJ) and tested with your carry ammo.

My Ultra Carry is a whopping 25 oz., thin and very concealable.

It is certainly more accurate than I am - and I routinely remove the x-ring from the sillouhette target at 10 yds.

I personally prefer the 185 gr rounds given the short barrel.

I did not by it with night sights, but would recommend them, along with Crimson trace laser grips (which I have added).

Without Night sites, it can be found for around $740. With them, about $830, but can be found for less at gun shows and online..

Sig P220 Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    But I am a fan of the DA/SA action and would prefer to stay with that.
    If you want a DA/SA .45 with no plastic parts, the gun that fits best is probably a metal P series Sig in .45. I'd personally probably go with the P220 Carry in two tone, as shown below:

The gun seems to meet your specs.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links