My Aunt wants an upgrade

This is a discussion on My Aunt wants an upgrade within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by maclean3 Would a CZ be an option? I love my CZ83, still a .380 but you could bump up to a 75 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Aunt wants an upgrade

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Would a CZ be an option?
    I love my CZ83, still a .380 but you could bump up to a 75 compact.

2. Remove Ads

CZ is good... do they make a compact that's a decocker instead of a manual safety?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    with her doing the " buying" i dont belive it would come to straw purchace , it would be more a christmas gift ( allbet unknown ) and keeping requirements in mind i would look for a used kahr or used dak sig for her personaly

Straw Man Purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner
    Good idea, except that it's illegal, per the definition of straw purchase. I'm not saying the idea is bad or that the law is right, but no reputable gun-shop will be able to go along with what you describe.
    IIRC I think for the straw man purchase to take effect, there has to be an asportation as they taught me in law school. That is, the illegal "go between" must exchange the money and actually take possession with the specific intent ('nother legal term of art) to transfer that property to another person in contravention of state law. But the best idea is to run it past a District Attorney and be sure to tell the story of the Aunt who can't afford the payments. I think this is a legitimate gift and as long as the AUNT fills out the paperwork and takes actual possesion, I would think it to be alright. But check with an attorney in your jurisdiction!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

EX:
    That's pretty much my take on it as well. If she's going to be the actual owner and she's the one filling out the paperwork then there shouldn't be a problem. Seems the situation would be closer to giving a gift certificate (without her knowledge) than to engaging in a strawman purchase.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    Or find out what she likes, buy 1 used and tell her it cost XXX amount.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    CZ is good... do they make a compact that's a decocker instead of a manual safety?
    I don't think they are decockers, my 83 has a manual ambi safety and is either SA or DA. Smooth trigger too. It is something I would check into for her. Really nice guns!

I could be wrong, but I'll tell you this; I sell guns for a sporting goods store part-time, and I would not want to be involved in such a purchase. It doesn't bother me personally, not ethically anyway; but given the laws that are in place and my knowledge of them, there is too much potential for bad there. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if you take that route please be sure to research it fully first.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Roadrunner, as I said in my post, the obvious solution is to talk to the State Attorney and tell that person that you've got FAMILY who wants a quality firearm, which she can't at this time afford and then explain the details. I'll BET a beer that as long as it's auntie who fills out the paperwork and takes actual possession with asportation (meaning if you handle it in the store you're in "possession" but if you walk OUT of the store with it in your hands....that's the critical nexus) by auntie, you're going to be fine.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

If you know the dealer, make it two transactions.

Auntie bought the pistol for $300, negotiated the price down.

You bought a box of Gold Dots for $130...
    Mongo only pawn .... in game of life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links