My Aunt wants an upgrade

This is a discussion on My Aunt wants an upgrade within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm so proud of my aunt. Some of you may recall we set my aunt up with a Bersa Thunder 380 almost a year ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Aunt wants an upgrade

My Aunt wants an upgrade

I'm so proud of my aunt. Some of you may recall we set my aunt up with a Bersa Thunder 380 almost a year ago for her self protection needs.

She's really gotten on the stick with it. She is saving her pennies for her CCW permit and has practiced a lot since then. She has very good eyes and excellent depth perception. The gal can shoot! She's been getting help and practice ammo from my uncle who is competent enough to be an instructor, and she has been shooting the crap out of that Bersa.

She has become so dedicated she has asked me to help her find a better gun! She has been at it long enough now to figure out what she'd like to change.

Her current gun is much to her liking except for a couple things that merit a new gun:

-She does not like having to manipulate an external safety. Her fingers are short and it makes it hard to do that. She wants either a decocker or a DAO gun.

-She doesn't like the blowback type mechanism because she finds it hard to reassemble the gun after takedown. She can rack the slide just fine however.

-She might consider the right revolver, but she prefers a slim semiautomatic. She says it points better.

-She wants to step up to 9x19. She feels like she can handle the recoil. That alone makes me giddy with glee. We'll get her up to a caliber that starts with "4" yet!

-Budget is important here. She will accept my help but not my money and I respect her wishes. She will have $100 and is willing to sell the Bersa. What I plan to do is purchase the Bersa from her for $200. She unfortunately knows how much the Bersa costs, so I can't get away with paying her any more for it. However I know that's more than anyone else will give her for it!

The good news is this still means we have crept up into about the $300 range so we're doing a little bit better. $100 makes a big difference when you're talking about handguns.

-The main thing she really likes about the Bersa is its size and form factor. She says the size/weight is just perfect and with the Hogue Handall Jr. on it, it feels like it's part of her hand. She also likes the light trigger.

Her current gun is 6 5/8" long and weighs 23 ounces. She won't want one significantly larger.

I thought about it and thought about it, and the best I could come up with was the Kel Tec P11. It has no external safety to manipulate, it's actually slightly smaller than her current gun which she will like, and it's chambered in 9x19.

I'm a little dubious about the quality. Now the good news is I can put it through its paces and make sure it's not a piece of junk, but I dunno about Kel Tec. I know that the Bersa isn't exactly the pinnacle of quality either but it does go bang every time you pull the trigger.

I'm wondering if a Taurus might be an option too, like the PT111 PRO perhaps.

The thing is, she really likes the single stack magazines, and the only single stack 9mms I'm familiar with are well outside her price range. The BHP and 1911 are fine platforms but not within reasonable limits here. The Kel Tec seems pretty thin at least.

2. Remove Ads

I have one word for you; Kahr.

A K9 would be about perfect (maybe a P9, but I'm partial to steel Kahrs). An MK9 might also be worth looking into. Just make sure its not a NYCPD trigger.

A K9 is 6" long and 23oz

EDIT: oops ... didn't see the price limit

ya need to figure out how to slide a few more $$ in so that ya can get her something like a kahr not a fan of the kel tec

Lead Moderator
    I would look at a Kahr, I do not trust Taurus PT guns after mine Kb'ed. I was not impressed with Taurus after this incident. They did repair it, but didn't give any reason for the failure, just repaired it and charged me shipping. Also the slide showed lots of wear and slight pitting after less than a year of carry.

If the Kel Tec is all she can afford, it will work, but it's extremely difficult to be accurate with one due to the stiff and gritty trigger. Mine has been very reliable, over 300 rounds with no failures of any type (that includes about 100 hollow points). I have placed an order for a Kahr and hope to recieve it by the end of the month, after that the Kel-Tec will be sold (I already have a buyer). I know they aren't cheap, but I really believe your aunt will be far happier with and better served by the Kahr. It's superior to the Kel Tec in every way except for capacity. Better trigger, better sights, lighter, thinner, better materials... the list goes on. If she can't come up with the money today, advise her to keep the Bersa for six months and put $20 a week into an envelope during the same time. By the end of the six months she'll have enough to buy a P9 outright, then she can use the sale of the Bersa to finance a good carry rig.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Euc,
    Again, I would recommend CDNN. Not everything they have makes the catalogue, so I would ask them about something like a S&W 3913, trade in. Even the CZ hi-caps feel slimmer than Glock, and you can sand down the grips, removing almost 1/4"-1/2" of the grip width. CDNN had the Beretta single stack (92 somethingorother), for awhile, too. I really like that one myself....

Would a CZ be an option?

If you are going to a dealer that knows you, perhaps you could cut a deal with them in advance? Something like, my aunt is coming in, let her negotiate the price down to $300 and I'll pay the difference? Just trying to think outside the box...
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by XD40
    If you are going to a dealer that knows you, perhaps you could cut a deal with them in advance? Something like, my aunt is coming in, let her negotiate the price down to $300 and I'll pay the difference? Just trying to think outside the box...
    THAT is deliciously manipulative and evil. I like it.

How about a used Kahr. I bought my K9 used (only slightly) for $360. It came with 4 magazines. It may take some looking but should not be to hard to find one.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

I like both roadrunner's idea and XD 40's benign deception. I agree for the money and the quality go with the Kahr. I hate the P11. You might try one at a gun show for dry fire purposes alone. If you can, you might try a used STAR model BM 9mm. Single stack 9mm with an 8rd capacity. I bought one in 1980 for about $150 and gave it to a buddy of mine in ROTC when he got married. And no, I wasn't very fond of his wife...for good cause. She was a shrew who eventually wound up pressuring him out of military service to pursue AMWAY! That failed and he became a landscape artist. He was on the list for Lieutenant Colonel when he left the army. Damn shame. He still has the wife, though. Hope he still has the gun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

All good ideas guys... The thing is I have plenty of time to work on this, so I can look around for a while and hope for the right thing to come along.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40
    Good idea, except that it's illegal, per the definition of straw purchase. I'm not saying the idea is bad or that the law is right, but no reputable gun-shop will be able to go along with what you describe.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Hmmm good point! No gun shop would ever go for that!

It's all right. I've got a long while to decide what I'm going to do about it!

mayeb you can talk her into letting you buy the gun and giving it as a gift tell her ya found a great deal in BFE or something ... that doesnt make it a straw purchase if it is given as a gift

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links