H&K USP 45 (LEM Trigger)

This is a discussion on H&K USP 45 (LEM Trigger) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have one of these on order just a few days ago. Due to government contracts pending I have to wait at least a month ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&K USP 45 (LEM Trigger)

Cool H&K USP 45 (LEM Trigger)

I have one of these on order just a few days ago. Due to government contracts pending I have to wait at least a month for delivery. I want a good DAO hi-cap 45. Anybody have any experience with the LEM (Law Enforcement Model) trigger system? I have heard it is smooth enough to be described as slightly firmer in terms of pull weight to the PO LDA. I also want to know if this gun comes with the external hammer-drop/safety catch or is it "slick slide?"

I also have a Blade Tech OWB holster being made for this gun. Believe it or not, the holster is going to take more time to deliver than the gun! EIGHT WEEKS on the Blade-Tech! I want another holster in leather. While I love my Sam Andrews leather, he's gotten out of my price ranges. Was thinking of the Galco "Concealable" model. I might think of trying an IWB here, but I think this baby might be a tad too thick for the old "love handles" (now transformed into lifting bars) to handle.

Comments?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know anything about this other than I've handled one USP in my life and it sure was awful nice. I'm bumping this hoping more people will respond as I am now curious. This sounds like a nice gun/holster setup.

It is slick slided not external safety.

For what little i have shot one the trigger is good little heavy but what dao isnt .. Thought about having my Hk converted to this but dont think i will but it is a thought makes it more like glock for carry ..

The LEM workes VERY well.......The first shot is a heavy DA pull, but the following shots are VERY light, almost 4 Lbs I believe, and may be slightly less than that.......People who try them are quite surprised and usually favor that type of model. We sell quite a few at the Store.
    Hope this helps ya Ex...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Lead Moderator
    HK's are a bit thick to IWB, unless ya buy pants a bit big in the waist. Or lose some waist size like I did. Why not look into a P2000 ? If ya decide ya don't want a DAo , I have a USP compact used F/S too.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    HK's are a bit thick to IWB, unless ya buy pants a bit big in the waist. Or lose some waist size like I did. Why not look into a P2000 ? If ya decide ya don't want a DAo , I have a USP compact used F/S too.
    Nope, I've got a Sig P245 that I love. But I want those 12 rds in the mag and it's GOT to be a 45! Can anybody post a pic that has a closeup of the left side of the USP 45's "slick slide" area?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    yea, I noiced that my friends 239 is thicker than my USP.

Here's some info on the USP compact.........
    http://www.gunweek.com/2001/feature0620.html
    Hope this video comes out as well.
    http://www.hkpro.com/video/USP%20Compact.mov
    and also a bit more info as well.

http://www.impactsites2000.com/site3/hkcomp.htm

A lefty shootin that Vid how about that

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    A lefty shootin that Vid how about that
    That's why I posted it Bud LOL..........I'm a lefty..but I learned to shoot right handed..Guess I watched too many Lone Ranger flicks
    But it's also a good point to let the South Paws know that thy're not at a disatvantage.. Plenty of options out there for them.

Lead Moderator
    My USP purchase was alot due to the safety configuration. Also like the 1911 style operation to it.

Mr Ex,

I have extensive experience with the HK Compact .45 and the Compact .40, both with the LEM trigger. The .40 is my duty weapon and the .45 is the weapon I carry off duty when I'm not carrying my Commander sized 1911s.

The LEM is a fine trigger, but nothing like a 1911 trigger. The trigger pull has a long 'dead space' on initial takeup then a very short reset. Even with the long take-up the trigger is easy to get used to. Contrary to what Mr Class3NH stated above, the trigger pull is the same, all day, every day. There is no DA/SA like a conventional double action automatic; it is similar to the Glock trigger (but with a much longer initial takeup) in that the trigger pull is the same all the time.

The standard LEM trigger pull weight is around 7.5-8.5 pounds. On the Compact .45 you can get the trigger pull weight down to around 6.5 pounds or so, but anything less than that and on the Compact .45 ONLY you will probably get light hammer strikes resulting in misfires unless you stick with Federal primers. The full sized HK .45 with the LEM does not have this problem; this is specific to the Compact .45. (I know this firsthand!!)

The Compact .45 is similar in size to the Commander sized 1911 but it is wider. Still, the HK Compact .45 is slightly narrower than the Glock 30 and this may make a difference to you. Fit and finish are terrific. It is extremely accurate and reliable, and I've heard very few complaints about the full size HK in .45.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thumbs up Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mbsigman
    Mr Ex,

I have extensive experience with the HK Compact .45 and the Compact .40, both with the LEM trigger. The .40 is my duty weapon and the .45 is the weapon I carry off duty when I'm not carrying my Commander sized 1911s.

The LEM is a fine trigger, but nothing like a 1911 trigger. The trigger pull has a long 'dead space' on initial takeup then a very short reset. Even with the long take-up the trigger is easy to get used to. Contrary to what Mr Class3NH stated above, the trigger pull is the same, all day, every day. There is no DA/SA like a conventional double action automatic; it is similar to the Glock trigger (but with a much longer initial takeup) in that the trigger pull is the same all the time.

The standard LEM trigger pull weight is around 7.5-8.5 pounds. On the Compact .45 you can get the trigger pull weight down to around 6.5 pounds or so, but anything less than that and on the Compact .45 ONLY you will probably get light hammer strikes resulting in misfires unless you stick with Federal primers. The full sized HK .45 with the LEM does not have this problem; this is specific to the Compact .45. (I know this firsthand!!)

The Compact .45 is similar in size to the Commander sized 1911 but it is wider. Still, the HK Compact .45 is slightly narrower than the Glock 30 and this may make a difference to you. Fit and finish are terrific. It is extremely accurate and reliable, and I've heard very few complaints about the full size HK in .45.

Hope this helps.

Mike

First of all, let me say WELCOME to the forum and thank you for your insights on this weapon. I'm getting the full size USP 45 and I was wondering how you would compare it in thickness to a Glock M30 or a Government M1911? I don't s'pose you could post a pic of the left side of a full size 45 with the LEM? I'm lookin' for something.

Next, we're an informal lot here, Mike. Folks call me "MR" and I look around to see to whom they are speaking? Normally only my high school students call me "Mr." In these dangerous times, I'd like to thank YOU and all the LEO's current and former and retired who have put their lives on the line in service to the nation and their fellow citizens.

Heya Ex,

Thank you for the kind words and welcome. The "Mr" is a respect thing long ingrained into my feeble brain by my mother who owned a radar guided slipper. Call an adult by name without the title and she'd launch this radar guided slipper, which could turn corners and navigate flights of stairs to find me and pop me upside my head!!

"I was wondering how you would compare it in thickness to a Glock M30 or a Government M1911? I don't s'pose you could post a pic of the left side of a full size 45 with the LEM? I'm lookin' for something."

Frankly, I've never even seen a full size HK .45 with the LEM on it. (That does not in any way mean that it cannot be done, just that I've not seen one equipped that way.) Mine is a Compact .45 and it compares in size with the Glock 30, but the HK Compact .45 is slightly narrower than the 30 with a very slightly longer grip. I find that emperically the HK Compact is easier to hold and conceal than the Glock 30, but then again that is only my opinion. I own both and believe me when I tell you that the Glock is a fine weapon. I just like the HK more, and that's an extremely subjective opinion.

The full size HK .45 USP is comparable in size to the Glock 21. I have a Glock 21 as well (I won a Front Sight class shoot-off with mine!), and it also is a fine weapon, but it's BIG. I mean B-I-G. And with 13 + 1 rounds it's not light, either. For me, this gun is really hard to conceal as I'm only 5'10", 150 lbs. Bigger guys don't have as much trouble concealing that big a gun.

I don't have a clue as to how to post pictures on this forum. If you can make me smart I'll be happy to take a picture of my HK left side next to my Kimber ProCDP, which is my primary carry weapon (off duty, that is).

Thanks again for the welcome.

Mike

Assistant Administrator
    mother who owned a radar guided slipper.
    Hahaha - I knew one of those LOL!

Only chiming in to say Hi Mike - and I am old (and old school) so did follow the ''Mr'' for a long time. Now being so darned old I feel I like to use folk's proper names when I can - I call it a perk of geriatric nature!!

Many folks here I have, in a cyber sense, gotten to know and so, feels good among friends to chat informally.

Hope you enjoy - and so far looks like you have much to offer with your experience. Great!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links