Cant Decide.

Cant Decide.

This is a discussion on Cant Decide. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I can't decide which gun I'd like to get. I've been reading the forums for awhile and trying to decide and cannot. The guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant Decide.

Cant Decide.

Ok, I can't decide which gun I'd like to get. I've been reading the forums for awhile and trying to decide and cannot. The guns that I have been looking at are:Kahr CW9, S&W 642, Ruger LCP, Kahr MK9. They're may be others that should be in this list and I'm open for suggestions.

I would like to IWB carry, and pocket carry. I'm a bigger guy with a gut and need to have a tuckable holster for IWB carry. More than likely pocket carry could be a better choice during work hours when I have to have my shirt tucked in, or at social events.

I'd also like the ability to have Crimson Trace laser grips for the gun, I know the CW9 doesn't allow this thus the reason the MK9 is in the list. The weight of the MK9 doesn't seem like it would work very easily for pocket carry, also the price is a good bit more.

Buds has a 642 with LG-305 grips for $569 delivered. That seems hard to beat but the grips are a bit bigger than the LG-405 I was looking at. If any of you have experience with both I would love to hear about it.

I've only gotten to hold a CW9 a couple of times, never shot one. It doesn't seem like it would fit in my pocket easily at all, and doesn't have a CT lasergrip available for it. I like the gun otherwise, but if it's only suitable for IWB carry, I'd rather have the MK9 for the CT grips.

Eventually I'm sure I'd like to have multiple guns for every possible situation but at this point I can't spend alot of money buying several guns so I need to make a decision.

I currently have a Ruger P95 that I will probably sale or trade for a Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500 once I get the new gun.

I'm rambling on here I know, any help would be wonderful.

Ron
    I have a 642 with the 405 grips and find that it works better for pocket carry then the 305.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

If you are looking for one gun to both pocket carry and IWB carry, I would choose the MK9.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    The LCP is my EDC as a BUG. Crimson Trace LG-431 to be available within weeks.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by xgunslingerx View Post
    Eventually I'm sure I'd like to have multiple guns for every possible situation but at this point I can't spend alot of money buying several guns so I need to make a decision.
    Well, to my way of thinking, everyone needs a J-frame in their armament, it's a gun that always has a use. So, if you are thinking of eventually getting other guns later, I'd get the J-frame now, it's very versatile.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have both a Kahr K-9 and a Smith 640. The Kahr wins out due to the flatter profile. It is a tad on the weighty side, but it helps tame recoil some. If you're going to buy from Buds, they may take that P-95 in trade, so your choices of what to consider might be broader.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

642 for pocket

I have a MK9 and a 642, and would say the MK9 is a great IWB belt gun but is too heavy for most pockets. The all steel MK9 weighs 25 ounces empty and maybe 27 ounces loaded.

The 642 is light enough for pocket carry, weighing 15 ounces empty. So I'd get the 642 if pocket carry is important to you. The two guns are about the same height and length, as shown below:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Take a look at the M&P 340. Very light and concealable. .357mag or .38+P. Conceals well in a pocket holster or ----- really, anywhere else you may wish to hide it.
    Fairly 'pricey' and with .357mag loads, a fairly hard recoil for a lot of shooters. (I would try one before settling on it).
    I love mine!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

How about a PM9 with an Armalaser?

Kahr by ArmaLaser Inc.

You get the compactness of the Kahr, much lighter than the MK9, and the laser that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post

Kahr by ArmaLaser Inc.

You get the compactness of the Kahr, much lighter than the MK9, and the laser that you want.
    Ditto on a PM-9. Much lighter than the MK-9 but identical in size.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Get a high cap now and a j frame later. The new Ruger is a good choice, as would be a Sig 229 refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post

Kahr by ArmaLaser Inc.

I'm a bit confused by the Armalaser. It just doesn't seem to fit on the gun very well, seems like it would be tough finding holsters. I don't really understand the activation of the laser. The website says it comes on whenever your finger enters the trigger guard. I'd like the ability to use the laser without my finger on the trigger just yet. And it just looks bulky.

Keep the thoughts coming guys and gals.

PM9 seems to be a good suggestion.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Having shot the LCP for the first time a couple weeks ago I would say go with the J-frame. The LCP was unruly in terms of recoil, and not very accurate over about 5yrds! Just my opinion though!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

CT LG-431 available

Just ordered a Crimson Trace LG-431 for my LCP. They're available on eBay today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links