642 vs Arthritis

642 vs Arthritis

This is a discussion on 642 vs Arthritis within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for something a little heavier than my S&W 642 for STRICTLY pocket carry. What would you recommend? My arthritis has gotten to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 642 vs Arthritis

642 vs Arthritis

I'm looking for something a little heavier than my S&W 642 for STRICTLY pocket carry. What would you recommend? My arthritis has gotten to the point where a few more ounces might make a big difference. I love the 642 but I want to be able to practice exclusively with my carry round and that ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    I'm looking for something a little heavier than my S&W 642 for STRICTLY pocket carry. What would you recommend? My arthritis has gotten to the point where a few more ounces might make a big difference. I love the 642 but I want to be able to practice exclusively with my carry round and that ship has sailed.
    What about a steel J-frame such as the M60 or a 640? There is not much difference in size of the 642 and 640 as the 642 works in my 640 holsters. The added weight of the steel gun might be the difference.

I assume that recoil is the problem when practicing. Boy, you have to be tough to get old someone said. I do not have arthritis, but do have the "infirmities of age."

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator

Suggestion:

You might want to try a set of Pachmayr Decelerator grips on your 642 before you give up on it.
    Pachmayr Revolver Grips

Those grips in combination with some short barrel/low recoil defensive rounds should help you manage your firearm easier with your arthritis.

Good luck to you Dolphin. My wife suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and I see the pain she endures daily. A .38 would be too much for her wrists anymore. I am trying to save the $$ to get her a S&W617. It's only a .22, but it's better than no gun at all.... I don't know your situation, but I guess you need to think about how bad the disease may get. Because a piece that you can handle today, might be too painful to practice with tomorrow. CW

I have arthritis and I can certainly sympathize with you on your predicament.

Have you considered having your S&W 642 magnaported? That may help a lot with the felt recoil and joint pain.
    God bless our troops!

Administrator
    I'd explore grips and ammo choice long before I looked for a replacement gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You might want to try a set of Pachmayr Decelerator grips on your 642 before you give up on it.
    Pachmayr Revolver Grips

Those grips in combination with some short barrel/low recoil defensive rounds should help you manage your firearm easier with your arthritis.
    Unless I'm reading it wrong I only see the Decelerators for K-frames, my 642 is a J-frame?

Administrator
    Yes, your 642 is a J frame.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I'm mostly with Sixto on this one.

However, if you can consider a .380, the difference in recoil and perhaps a larger grip might help. Think perhaps of finding a Colt Mustang--in the used market; or perhaps a Bersa new.

I would think that the lighter trigger pull of a S A gun might make things a lot easier for you. (I don't know if you would have trouble with the slide--can you grip and pull a slide?)

I've stated here before that it is funny how different people perceive recoil. My son is half my age and much stronger, but he can't tolerate shooting a small 38sp. , whereas they give me no difficulty at all. OTOH, he can control my .40, and I have a little difficulty with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, your 642 is a J frame.
    Sixto, I can shoot the 148 gr. wadcutter w/ no problem. Do you think I'd be better off w/ that than stepping down in caliber?

I have the Pachmayr Compac grips on my J frames, and they do tame the recoil a lot. It might be worth a try before you go for a new gun. The 642 is light to carry.

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Sixto, I can shoot the 148 gr. wadcutter w/ no problem. Do you think I'd be better off w/ that than stepping down in caliber?
    Yeah, I do. I'd bet you could even find a decent self defense load that is comparable to the 148 gr wadcutter's recoil... I might catch some flak for saying this, but a wadcutter is going to to the trick anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

jfl
    "I feel your pain" ...
    A couple of years ago, I had the same problem; my right wrist got O.A. and shooting my G-26 was painful ... understatement !!!
    I explored different avenues:
    - a .380 ... lots of people said bad choice; blowback has sharper recoil.
    - changing to my left hand, which is still OK ( I had to do that for a lot of other tasks) but there is always the thought that it might go bad too !
    - finally I bought a ported barrel for the G-26; it extends a little over an inch from the slide; not a problem and it gives 60 to 80 fps extra velocity, close to G-27 (.40) performance.

The porting makes the gun a lot easier on my wrist because it was the upward flip that caused the pain, not the push towards the back.
    As another member suggested, you could magna-port your barrel.

Speer GD short barrel ammo have less recoil and better performance in barrel shorter than 3"; at least that what they say !!!

Ultimately, you'll have to experiment yourself, we are all different.

Good luck in your quest !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I have the Pachmayr Compac grips on my J frames, and they do tame the recoil a lot. It might be worth a try before you go for a new gun. The 642 is light to carry.

Regards,
    Jerry
    I had the Pach Compacs initially and then went to the Hogue Bantams.

I'll pick this back up tomorrow, thanks to everyone for helping!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links