Seecamp

This is a discussion on Seecamp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good friends of mine (husband and wife) finally got their CCW. I tried hard to change his mind, he wanted a Seecamp .32 for SD, ...

Thread: Seecamp

Seecamp

Good friends of mine (husband and wife) finally got their CCW.
    I tried hard to change his mind, he wanted a Seecamp .32 for SD, I lost.
    Of course, it is better than nothing, but I don't understand the reasoning (or lack of) for a primary
    It seems that little gun is very successful, but why a .32; a .380 is much better or is there something I'm missing.
    Of course, my thinking is that my Glock 9mm is OK, my wife .357 is more powerful... so the .32 in such a short barrel looks like a glorified pea-shooter (not that I would like to stop that little bullet )

Am I missing something, what do you think ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

Totally agree with you. Why carry a .32 when you can have a gun in .380 that is the same size. Much more bang for the size IMHO. Yes it is better than nothing, but not sufficient for me!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Totally agree with you. Why carry a .32 when you can have a gun in .380 that is the same size. Much more bang for the size IMHO. Yes it is better than nothing, but not sufficient for me!
    Keep beating him down, then let me know when he is ready to sell at a big loss!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    What's wrong with a Seecamp for self protection? Not everyone feels the need for a "Go to War" type weapon. Haranguing someone about their choice of CCW is bad mojo ... or could there be a hint of jealousy? The "mine's bigger than yours" chest beating leads us to wonder about your latent, subconcious motivations.

Did he let you shoot it?

Assuming he isn't someone who belives his pistol is talismanic, and will ward off the boogey-man at the mere sight, he's probably rating his personal risk as "low." Nothing wrong with that, per se, I drop my Seecamp in my pocket on occassion too, but generally I prepare for the worst/hope for the best.

Having said that, you gain nothing inpractical terms with .380/.32. Both can certainly kill, both are relatively marginal in doing so. Placement is king.

Edit to add- If cost were comparable between the .380 and .32, one might be able to argue for the (again) marginal improvemnt of the .380, but at 2X the price and above, the .380 fails the cost/benefit analysis.

If you ever convince him to sell it, PM me. I'd take another one in a heartbeat.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

You guys sure seem to love your little .32's. I rate my risk at low to very low. But if that small chance that some guy hopped up on meth tries to steal my cash, and finds out I don't have much cash, he isn't going to be happy. And these guys don't feel pain, so I need super fast bleed out, lung shot, or central nervous system. I just don't feel that a .32 has near enough penetration. Placement is king, but most people can't shoot worth a darn when they're backpedaling and some crazy guy is coming at them, their hearts a pumping, adrenaline is flowing, and all hell breaks loose. Yea I'll carry the biggest, highest capacity, hardest hitting gun I can comfortably conceal.

You guys sure seem to love your little .32's. I rate my risk at low to very low. But if that small chance that some guy hopped up on meth tries to steal my cash, and finds out I don't have much cash, he isn't going to be happy. And these guys don't feel pain, so I need super fast bleed out, lung shot, or central nervous system. I just don't feel that a .32 has near enough penetration. Placement is king, but most people can't shoot worth a darn when they're backpedaling and some crazy guy is coming at them, their hearts a pumping, adrenaline is flowing, and all hell breaks loose. Yea I'll carry the biggest, highest capacity, hardest hitting gun I can comfortably conceal.

Who ever said that it has to be either/or.....? Different tools for different jobs.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

True...but when I read the initial post, it appears that the .32 is the only gun. They each have their place.

True...but when I read the initial post, it appears that the .32 is the only gun. They each have their place.

If choosing a small, light, yet high quality weapon causes them to actually carry it, rather than leaving it at home on occassion, then it might still be a great choice for the only gun in their circumstance.

The old saying......a .32 in the pocket beats a .45 in the safe every single day!

Just sayin'........

Theodore Roosevelt

I only carry my Model 3913 or a Model 60. Last year I purchased a Seecamp and find myself slipping into my pocket for those "can not be made" situations. A fine pistol from a great company.

If anyone buys one and doesn't agree, I've never seen them lose money on the resale!

David

Links