A hard, scary lesson learned. . .

This is a discussion on A hard, scary lesson learned. . . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know, I know, SNAP CAPS. But I grew up on the 1911, and my Dad, an Army pistol team member, dry fired his tricked ...

Thread: A hard, scary lesson learned. . .

I know, I know, SNAP CAPS. But I grew up on the 1911, and my Dad, an Army pistol team member, dry fired his tricked out Colts nightly. I cannot tell you how many times I have dry fired a centerfire pistol, whether revolver or auto.

I keep a Beretta 92 hidden away downstairs, easily accessible, but invisible to guests. Went to the range Saturday, and, having a supply of good 9mm handloads available, I took a Sig, a Glock, and the Beretta. Was gonna see which I could shoot better, offhand from 25 yards. Planned to shoot enough groups with each to reach a conclusion. Imagine my surprise when the first chambered round out of the Beretta snapped. Restruck with a DA trigger stroke, and there was nothing but a very hollow "click."

I jacked that round out of the chamber and looked at it. Not so much as a scratch on the primer. Clearing the gun, I took it back to the bench, stripped the slide, and with a couple of brass rods simultaneously raised the firing pin block and pressed the "pin" from the hammer side. Just a bit deeper than flush I could see what was left of my firing pin.

So, here I am holding a firearm that would be my go-to gun if downstairs and not holding at that moment (like that ever happens!). The pistol my wife would grab to investigate a strange knock or...well, whatever. And I had no inkling it wouldn't fire until I went to the range with it.

Before this episode, I would have been the first person to tell you that, with MOST modern semiauto centerfires, dry firing doesn't hurt a thing. I'm still puzzled at why it broke where it did, as there's nothing for it to hit. Perhaps thousands of dry fires stress the steel that much. At any rate, am headed to the local gun shop to order a firing pin......and pick up a bunch of A-Zooms!
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten!"

--Clint Smith

I was dry firing yesterday and the snap cap got stuck and the mag wouldn't release. So while I was trying to get the gun cleared I was thinking to myself, "I really need a second gun, just in case".

Administrator
    So... when was the last time you function tested the Beretta?
    "Just blame Sixto"

XD,

Thankfully the stores of "spares" are, while never full enough, well stocked enough that something has already taken its place

SIXTO,

Its been about 2 months since it was fired, with factory white box stuff. Truthfully, I don't think its been dry fired even since then, except maybe when I took it down and cleaned it that night. Maybe once or twice. I've had this gun for 3 or 4 years, and its reliability has been practically a given. It always works, no matter what I feed it. I've put a couple thousand rounds through it at least. Even shot an IDPA match or two with it. Accurate, dependable. But not immune to breakage. Anything made by man is subject to failure. I'd just have bet on this computer going down long before that Beretta.

--Clint Smith

VIP Member
    It is rare nowadays for firing pins to break... but they still do!
    One of my revos (snub) all of the sudden broke one and I found out moments before I was to go out. It was sent to the gunsmith for repairs and I checked the rest of my guns. I even ordered a spare pin for my AK since it is not that difficult to change.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Stuff happens.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Yes, stuff does indeed happen. Funny though, I've got spare Glock parts in the safe, and probably enough spare 1911 parts to put together a functional gun, but not one thing by Beretta. We live, we learn I suppose.

--Clint Smith

I have heard a lot of "what ifs." I have heard a lot of reasons to carry a back up.

I just carry one gun and have never seriously considered "my" real need to have a back-up. I thought about it, and know the directions I would go for a work, home, and carry back-up.

But something how the OP talks about his hidden go to gun has made me reconsider something I have long considered a closed topic.

While not the right choice for SD, I will now start to consider a very easy to carry .22 LR pistol for a back-up.

I've stopped dry firing.
    And I bought some A-zooms.

Links