To GLOCK or NOT?

This is a discussion on To GLOCK or NOT? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my Glock M27 in 40. I actually purchased one of those aftermarket ultra high cap mags (29rds) so it'll stick out about a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To GLOCK or NOT?

I love my Glock M27 in 40. I actually purchased one of those aftermarket ultra high cap mags (29rds) so it'll stick out about a foot, but it's nice to have something like that on a long trip. The gun has NEVER failed me and hey....it's dishwasher safe!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

I went to Glocks for one reason.

About four years ago I shot a qualification course with two different 1911s, cleaned, with wilson mags an fresh factory ball ammo.

I thought I was very confident with them, but at that session, had nothing but trouble from beginning to end.

It made me unsure of whether if I pulled my gun on the street, it would even be guarranteed to work.

On the other hand, the guys at the range with Glocks were bang bang banging away with no trouble.

So that's why I took the plunge. I have one less thing to worry about. I have a handgun that goes bang every time I shoot it. Never had a malfunction of any sort with either the 17, or the 26 I use to have.

Short of carrying a revolver, you can't beat a glock.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

PJH
    Hi all,

I'm new here, and certainly no expert, but I figured I'd add my $.02.

I love 1911's, and have owned several (none at present, unfortunately) and they are FAR more attractive than the Block, er Glock.

Having said that...

My daily carry gun is a Glock 19, IWB. My reasons:

1) Absolute simplicity of design : No levers to catch on a cover garment at an inopportune moment or fumble with while trying to draw, create space, etc.

2) More simplicity: One trigger pull. I loved my SIG P228, but am happier without the DA/SA transition, and, while the pull on a stock Glock is certainly not comparable to a good SA, it's better than most DAO triggers I've tried

3) Rust resistance: I live in South Florida, and my gun gets sweated on. A lot. The Glock finisn and polymer frame are virtually impurvious.

4) Reliability: Goes bang. Every time. Clean. Dirty. Pull trigger = bang.

5) Size efficient: While certainly not the most concealable handgun in existance, the G19/23/32 is lightweight and carries a generous helping of ammo in an easy to shoot package. I plan to add a G26 after the holidays for an even easier to hide alternative which can still use the 15 rd G19 mags ( or the 33 rounder from the G18, which makes for a nice nightstand companion).

6 Cost: Compared to other quality handguns, the Glocks are very reasonably priced at around $500 NIB.

Obviously, Glocks are not for everyone. Shoot as many guns as you can get your hands on, and go with the platform and caliber that you shoot best, and gives you the best night's sleep.

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter
    Hands down the most reliable/durable gun made.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658
    +1 to that. I also like that fact that I can draw and shoot without fumbling with a safety. I know that in a SHTF situation that my fine motor skills are not going to be up to par.

To those who carry 1911's or Sigs or HK's.....good for you. I can care less what other people carry, I use what works for ME.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I previously wondered if I were the only Glockophile among the 1911esque-genre fans here in the CombatCarry zone. It's heartwarming to see there are others.

I like the Glock for several reasons already listed in this thread.

Snowdoctor: I hope you come over to the Dark Side!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    To add another thought here. I have a real urge lately to own a 1911. I don't know why but that little voice keeps saying buy me. Now I have been looking around at some lately and there are some nice guns on the market right now. Oh to have the money for a Nighthawk. Now I can buy a nice Kimber or Springfield for around $1000.00 give or take. For that same $1000.00 give or take I can have 2 Glocks. Now I will be the first to admit that the Glock is not near as good looking as most of the 1911s. But what is the reason we are carrying a pistol for, good looks or a reliable means of self defense? I don't think many will argue the fact that Glocks are a very reliable and effective tool. So for now I have those two Glocks and will be saving my Penny's toward a new 1911. The 1911 is not something I need but something I want. My G37 will do everything a 1911 will do except shoot +P ammo and I don't see the need in +p for the 45s anyway. So I guess what I am trying to say is that this passion we all share for fire arms does not always deal with logic as much as feelings. So if you want a Glock go forth and just enjoy a wonderful shooting pistol.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

This guy is an idiot in my opinion and he obviously works for glock because good pistols are hard to come by for us working types. I mean the months of lay away and stuff. This guy is a running ad for glock. I also think people begin to place too much faith in the pistol and not the operator, and they think just because this guy does this that practice and cleaning is not important. Give me a break.

P.S. don't try this and carry the pistol everyday for the protection of your family and kids. This would be just suicide. Squeeze, click, funeral arrangements.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

JT
    This is definitely not the first such Glock torture test. As of 2004 Chuck Taylor has run 186,000 rounds through his G17 since 1990. He’s probably up to 200K by now. His results weren’t perfect. He did have that failure to feed at about 33K rounds.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis
    I previously wondered if I were the only Glockophile among the 1911esque-genre fans here in the CombatCarry zone. It's heartwarming to see there are others.

I like the Glock for several reasons already listed in this thread.

Snowdoctor: I hope you come over to the Dark Side!
    Definitely not the only one. I have had many conversations on this forum, defending Glock against these 1911 heathens.

Good thing is the discussions have always remained civil.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"Heathens?!?"

I resemble that remark!
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Torture tests of Glocks or any other pistol are impressive, but irrelevant to my practice.

I am fanatical in the other direction from the AR15-forum guy's test. After I use a Glock on the range, I always detail-strip, inspect, clean, and lubricate it; I also perform the function tests mentioned in the owner's manual.

I alternate using 2 G21s; with my current range activity, the maintenance interval is a month at most---if I were to slack off on range trips, I would still do the maintenance monthly. I agree with BlueLion's comment: I may need my carry pistol to keep me alive, so I do everything possible to insure its inherent reliability.

Have to be honest, I didn't read every post in this thread so if this is a dupe please forgive me. But my brother just gave me this link the other day and I found it to be helpful with figuring out the different model Glocks.

http://www.teamglock.com/PistolInfo/pistolpage.htm

Welcome, Tony!

Good chart! Actually better than the technical data page on the official Glock website because that one does not list any GAPs.

Yeah i cant figure out why Glock hasnt figured out how to update there site in what almost 4 years

As a newbie, with a newbie spouse, both CHL Applicants, I thought I'd add a quick comment regarding our Glock choices:

After shooting a lot of different rental guns, I chose a G17, she chose a G26. We like a simple life - same ammo, same manual of arms. Reliability and availability of armorers, parts, and folks to fix it if we screw it up somehow. We're not gunsmiths, don't want to be, even though I look at the 1911's, etc. and agree and admit they're gorgeous, fun to look at and fun to hold. I want to be able to clean it well with a minimum of fuss. I want to be able to draw a gun if needed (hopefully never), and know it will go bang. We've both run about a 1,000 rounds downrange each at this time. No FTE's, no FTF's. They just work. Hopefully we'll run tens of thousands downrange and be just as happy. To illustrate our weird thinking even more (re: a simple life) we have the same simple cell phones for the same reason, and the same Beretta's 22LR's. Same computer operating systems. The only time she messed up is when she got her Jeep instead of a GM like mine - now I don't know where all of the controls are!! We're just trying to preserve brain cells, folks.

And YES! They are ugly in a cute sort of way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links