To GLOCK or NOT?

This is a discussion on To GLOCK or NOT? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to admit something right off. I am ignorant when it comes to Glocks. I like the feel, reputation, reliability, etc. I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To GLOCK or NOT?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

To GLOCK or NOT?

I am going to admit something right off. I am ignorant when it comes to Glocks. I like the feel, reputation, reliability, etc. I have shot a few at the range, of friends and family but I have no idea about the numbering system people spout off. Can someone please explain how the model numbers work? and some background maybe of the models and calibers.
    cause a 1911 is just,...... well natural.
    thanks for your help in advance.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Go to Glocks site for diffrent calibers and size= # system. Bottom line, if ya like em and can shoot em accurate go for it. Personally, I want a manual safety on my pistols. Sure are alot of holster options for Glocks though.

I know I'm missing the new ones, but:
    17, 9mm Luger, 17 round capacity, 7.32 slide length
    19, 9mm Luger, 15 round capacity, 6.85 slide length
    20, 10mm, 15 round capacity, 7.59 slide length
    21, 45 ACP, 13 round capacity, 7.59 slide length
    22, 40 S&W, 15 round capacity, 7.32 slide length
    23, 40 S&W, 13 round capacity, 6.85 slide length
    25, 380 ACP, 15 round capacity, 6.85 slide length
    26, 9mm Luger, 10 round capacity, 6.29 slide length
    27, 40 S&W, 9 round capacity, 6.29 slide length
    28, 380 ACP, 10 round capacity, 6.29 slide length
    29, 10mm, 10 round capacity, 6.77 slide length
    30, 45 ACP, 10 round capacity, 6.77 slide length
    31, 357 Sig, 15 round capacity, 7.32 slide length
    32, 357 Sig, 13 round capacity, 6.85 slide length
    33, 357 Sig, 9 round capacity, 6.29 slide length
    34, 9mm Luger, 17 round capacity, 8.15 slide length
    35, 40 S&W, 15 round capacity, 8.15 slide length

I heard somewhere that the numbers correspond to when the model is introduced/patented/registered/??? something.
    I have found Glocks to be extremely durable and reliable. On the other hand, my wife has problems with her hands, and she cannot hold a Glock tight enough for it to cycle, yet a 1911 will cycle if she's firing with her weak grip. I could never get used to the Glock's trigger -- but I've spent years with single-action autos and single-action revolvers. I like 45 ACP but found the Glock 30 was kind of like carrying a brick.
    Having said all that, I would feel quite comfortable carrying a Glock 19 as my primary. Since I have a choice, I stay with the 1911s. My wife went to two S&W 640s........ everybody's different.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor
    I am going to admit something right off. I am ignorant when it comes to Glocks.

cause a 1911 is just,...... well natural.
    Well if you are ignorant when it comes to Glocks you will fit right in with the Glockies!

Just kidding! I couldn't resist.

To be honest the gun is freakin durable as hell, I am going to post a Glock torchure test a guy did and I mean he torchured this thing.

I am partial to the 1911 and just can't bring myself to carry a plastic gun, but I respect what they can do.

Here's the link,

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658

Ti.

Assistant Administrator
    I do not own any - unlikely to - but have shot a NIB G17 and was amazed how well I could shoot it.

I have learned to be less disparaging than I once was - they have a place and one heck of a following. If they work for anyone then great - because almost guaranteed they are tough guns and go on and on. I'd go so far as to say, that were I given one - I would shoot it and enjoy it but it would not fill my carry niche - other guns do that better - for my prefence.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Extremely accurate, extremely durable. As long as you are comfortable with the concept of your trigger finger being the primary safety, and are willing to always be conscious of muzzle direction, they can't be beat.

I carry a 17 every now and then and have been a lot lately going to get a 10mm for carry also makes a light gun .. With the way my knee and back has been bothering me cant be beat for me right now .

The only #s missing out of the chart David made is the

18 Full auto version of the 17 very few here in the states

36 45 gap 13 rouds
    37 45 gap Not sure
    38 45 gap not sure on round count here either

The model # does corraspond to the patent # or at least the 17 /18/ and 20 do so im gonna guess the rest do as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Extremely accurate, extremely durable. As long as you are comfortable with the concept of your trigger finger being the primary safety, and are willing to always be conscious of muzzle direction, they can't be beat.
    wait that makes um no different than any other DAO pistol out there and holy cow god forbid a Revolver..

I am a LEO range insructor and get to see every platform you can imagine from the diffrent member agencies that send recruits to the basic academy. The most reliable, go bang weapon every time piece is Glock hands down! I have seen all the major brands come apart and only know of one major incident that occured with the Glock in local LEO circles and it happened to be me at the trigger. My brand new, department issue, G22 that came out of the box in the early 90's went full auto the first trip to the range. The cool part is that it was real easy to handle and I actualy made it to the second magazine before the range master noticed.
    Last edited by blacksan; December 7th, 2005 at 02:15 PM.

You might try glockfaq.com or topglock.com
    william

Only bad thing about the Glock right now is Price ... They keep going up course so does everything else ...

Wish i would have boughts them a fews years ago when they were a lot better deal

I can attest that the Glock 18 full auto is an awesome gun, I shot one in my CCW class that my instructor had along with 9-10 other full auto machine gun's he had there.

33 rounds in 1.5 seconds!

Here's a pic.

Ti.
    Attached Images

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I carry a 17 every now and then and have been a lot lately going to get a 10mm for carry also makes a light gun .. With the way my knee and back has been bothering me cant be beat for me right now .

The only #s missing out of the chart David made is the

18 Full auto version of the 17 very few here in the states

36 45 gap 13 rouds
    37 45 gap Not sure
    38 45 gap not sure on round count here either

The model # does corraspond to the patent # or at least the 17 /18/ and 20 do so im gonna guess the rest do as well
    Two more missing. The real long slides...

GLOCK 17L - 9mm - 8.85 in.
    GLOCK 24 - 40 - 8.85 in.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My thoughts on Glock (not a Glock owner)

If the striker (or whatever it's called) on a Glock "falls", it doesn't have enough "oomph" to fire the gun (at least it's not supposed to). If the hammer "falls" on a 1911, it will fire the gun. Why would either fall? Mechanical failure of some kind. Hence, 1911s have separate manual safety. Even score for both.

When someone is stabbing you (visualize a Teuller drill started at a range of 3 yards) and you are concentrating on countering his attack with one hand while fumbling for your gun under your pullover and using the thumb you normally use to knock off the safety when you shoot IPSC/IDPA to lift the pullover out of the way of the gun so it doesn't pull the gun out of your hand, you might just forget about the safety entirely. Plus 1 for Glock, Minus 1 for 1911.

In addition to the safety, the 1911 has an exposed hammer which means that if anything gets into the trigger guard during reholstering (clothing, twig, top edge of IWB holster) and I have forgotten to apply the safety, I will realize it as the hammer drops aganist my thumb and the gun will not fire. Plus one for 1911, minus 1 for Glock.

My experience shooting Glocks is that I can't get my finger square on the face of the trigger so I end up pushing the gun to the left (I actually saw the track of the gun as I did this when I shot on a FATS simulator). I can pretty much get my finger square on the trigger of a 1911. Plus 1 for 1911, Minus 1 for Glock. (I think a GAP 1911 might score a plus 2 if the front to back distance of the grip is reduced on the 1911, but an article I read about a 1911 GAP made no mention of such a reduction)

Question, if a 1911 has a firing pin block that is deactivated by the trigger (not by the grip safety which is not covered by the holster), would it be safe to carry cocked and unlocked?
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

I have a G19, 26,in 9mm, 27in 40 S&W , and 29 in 10MM and 357 Sig conversion Barrel. The Glocks work and work well. They're a VERY reliable weapons platform.
    BTW, as being a former FFL, and selling to PDs, the main reason why the Glocks are so well known in the LEO circles, is two things.
    They WORK WELL, and are easy to work on.
    Secondly and most importantly, they're cheap, and fall into the PDs budget.
    I remember selling Glock 17 and 19s for 232.35 to PDs due to their budget criteria.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links