ACP or GAP

This is a discussion on ACP or GAP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have contemplated this now for too long, and would others feedback. Why mess with the .45ACP? I mean it is one of the most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACP or GAP

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

ACP or GAP

I have contemplated this now for too long, and would others feedback. Why mess with the .45ACP? I mean it is one of the most relied on and dominating cartridges EVER. My kimber ultra carry is small 3'' barrel nice sized and reliable. I can walk into any store and purchase ammo.
    Now if you were to buy a GAP, either the glock or say the SA defender. IS there going to be shell or should you just buy a reloader now? I can't see the cart. sticking and then you have a gun that is impossible to readily get shells? many cartridge loads have feel by the way side. I think this is another.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    10mm? 41 AE? .41 mag? Its a gamble. But , they so was me buying a .40 S&W back in '93. Guess ya need to roll the dice , or buy something else.

Winchester, Remington, Federal, Starline are all running GAP. It's probably one that's going to stay, especially since it's in the Glock platform.
    I don't have enough information on it yet to have any kind of opinion on the cartridge. For what it's worth, rumor was that it took a lot of work to get pressures low enough, since a shorter ACP case + ACP velocity means more pressure to start with. Personally, if I wanted a 45 in a 9mm Glock frame size, I'd seriously consider the GAP. Since I carry 1911s, I stick with the ACP.

Assistant Administrator
    This has become pretty much another caliber war. Not this time for actual true cal factors but because it is two variants of same cal.

For me - old and cynical - to hell with it!! It may permit changes to the dimensions of a 45 platform, but frankly I am not interested - it struck me more as a cartridge design seeking a home. Ok - Glock had reasons - and it did have a home but anyways - there is nothing about it that tempts me one bit. .45acp is plenty adequate.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

agree

I tend to agree with P95. One .45 ammo is enough, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    so to hell with it for me too.
    I brought up the question for some good discussion.
    anyone out there a big fan of the GAP and want to defend it?
    if you can carry a SA DEFENDER then you can carry a ultra carry etc.
    I think it is a dead cartridge in the making. 10mm all over again
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Answer to the question that was never asked or a Ego round...

My old lady has tiny hands yet will shoot the 1911's and prefers to shoot them.Above anything else i told her about the Gap she just rollered her eyes at me and said whats the point

I've seen the Glock 45 GAPs sell...........and they come right back in.........Something tells me, that it's either the cost of ammo, the performance of the cartridge in general, or the feel of the gun.......
    I personally haven't talked to the guys who have traded the guns in, but when I do, I'll post the reasons why they're trading so quickly..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

The ammo is avail. but not cheap, mail order is the best bet if you don't reload. The G38,39 seems to be more popular.
    William

I agree with Chris and the others, I'm not at all interested. ACP suits me just fine and it's only a matter of time before someone tries to shoot the wrong cartridge in their handgun ... we're overdue for a Darwin Award on this one.
    Jack

From what i've read the GAP has a negligable performance difference when compared to the ACP. From Glock's perspective it makes a ton of sense, and money. Will it over take the ACP, doubt it. Will it stay around, probably. When it comes down to the numbers and engineering, the GAP is probably a slightly better cartridge. But two things will hold it back, at least for now, 1) reluctance of people to change and 2) cost.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

CLASS3NH - please do let us know what's happening with the Glocks. I'm still wondering about pressures vs recoil vs ???

I think a GAP in the Glock 39 series will be a hit, due to it's size (same dimentions as the G26-27 frame. Ihaven't seen a 39 yet, but I know a lot of customers are asking to see a G39 though. Time will tell on this one.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In 5(or so) years the GAP will go the way of the 10mm. There will still be an interest,and some pistols will be around,(especially under the used counter) but it will never really get going. I don't know what the LE market is doing or not doing with the GAP but haven't really heard of any sales. They're not for me but of course I have weapons that are not for you either. What the hell ?! ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    In 5(or so) years the GAP will go the way of the 10mm. There will still be an interest,and some pistols will be around,(especially under the used counter) but it will never really get going. I don't know what the LE market is doing or not doing with the GAP but haven't really heard of any sales. They're not for me but of course I have weapons that are not for you either. What the hell ?! ----------
    I think your right the 41 and 10mm have held on as cult status but i dont think the gap will.. 45acp are thin enough in Law Enforcment ranks as it is but i dont think gap will turn up there

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The Glock website has no mention of GAP. Maybe their webmaster is still wondering if the GAP has a future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links