CCW gun options

This is a discussion on CCW gun options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just received my CCW permit here in Florida and have been carrying a Glock 27 for a week or so. I have an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW gun options

CCW gun options

I have just received my CCW permit here in Florida and have been carrying a Glock 27 for a week or so. I have an ankle holster and a IWB holster. I am in sales, in and out of the car and have to tuck in my shirt at work.
    The ankle holster is OK, have to re-adjust alot. The IWB isn't an option when I'm working, out of work it's OK.

The Glock 27 feels pretty heavy to me. I'm considering getting something lighter for ankle and IWB to carry, but want something with enough stopping power. Any advice?

(I have a Kel Tec P32, but feel this just isn't enough to carry)

2. Remove Ads

First off, welcome to the forum!

The Kahr PM9 would be my pick as it can also be pocket carried. I am not a fan of ankle carry but understand how this form of carry may be the only viable option. If you absolutely prefer .40 there is also the Kahr PM40 but it is my understanding it is a bit of a handful.

I carry a J frame in my front pocket while working. I need to be tucked in as well. At first I was sure someone would question the lump in my pocket, but it has never happened. I am in & out of my customers offices every day, a lot of which have the no weapons sticker on the door.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Aluminum-framed J-frame, a 642, 637, or similar. You trade capacity and power for ease of carry, that is the nature of the game. It gives you the pocket option, however. Not sure if your 27 works as a pocket gun. Guess it depends on your pockets.......
    What Would Gumby Do?

VIP Member
    Congratulations on getting your permit and welcome to the forum. I have a g27 that I often pocket carry (get an appropriate holster for doing that). You need pants with bigger pockets though, I've had success using cargo pants, it seems they have larger than normal pockets (I don't use/mean the cargo pocket). BTW, don't put anything else in that pocket with the gun. No keys, knives, coins, etc.

I tuck in my shirt and carry often that way by using a belly band. It'll hold just about any reasonable gun and you can tuck your shirt with it. Slow to draw though.

However, the way I work it is diffiult for me to CC pretty much any gun. While I'm not too crazy about it I do pocket carry a Ruger LCP. Of course it's small I hardly know it's there. Then depending on my "perceived threat" I ramp up to a larger gun in the belly band and often that is the G27, Colt Defender, or Sig 239.

How about a concealment holster type shirt?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Look for a tuckable holster. Like an MTAC or a Tucker "Answer" or the like. Just look around here for suggestions.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ruger LCP in a small Smart Carry gets the nod when I am at work. It's comfy and the ultimate in concealment.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    I think a new holster is in order, not a gun. If you feel a new gun is a must, I suggest a Kahr.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I think you should look at a new holster first.

I recommend SmartCarry

or

A HighNoon tuckable

Both are very reasonabily priced and you can upgrade if you need too and if it doesn't work you're not out much $$

I have both and carry my PT111 everyday under a tucked in shirt
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Look at the Kahr CW Series. Comes in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. They are thin for caliber and easy to conceal. Also, very light compared to others. I have a CW9 and a CW45 and I think they are one of the best values out there. I also carry a P3AT in a pocket holster every day.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Look for a tuckable holster. Like an MTAC or a Tucker "Answer" or the like. Just look around here for suggestions.
    +1

My preference and everyday rig is the Crossbreed Supertuck. Bluegrass also makes a couple that are tuckable.

From my experience, the actual chore of tucking the shirt is, well, a chore, but once done, I can wear my rig concealed and in comfort. For me, I've found that I have to slightly adjust the position of the holster on my hip when I tuck, but it's nothing significant.

-JT

I have the Kahr CW9 in a tuckable IWB from high noon holsters. Works good for me.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by flag8r77 View Post
    I have just received my CCW permit here in Florida and have been carrying a Glock 27 for a week or so. I have an ankle holster and a IWB holster. I am in sales, in and out of the car and have to tuck in my shirt at work.
    The ankle holster is OK, have to re-adjust alot. The IWB isn't an option when I'm working, out of work it's OK.

The Glock 27 feels pretty heavy to me. I'm considering getting something lighter for ankle and IWB to carry, but want something with enough stopping power. Any advice?

(I have a Kel Tec P32, but feel this just isn't enough to carry)

I'd keep a 442/642 in the Pocket if it were me and another one of the same on the Ankle as a BUG.

For the Primary I'd carry the Glock 27, or it's larger Brother IWB. The two BUG's should be in the weakside pocket or accessable to the weakhand. Another option would be the J-Frame in each front pocket, but that does put your front pockets off-limits to anything else.

Word of caution, use a pocket holster if you pocket carry.

Biker

Thumbs up

I understand your problem. I carry a m&p compact 90% of the time. My job also requires me to think about which gun to carry from time to time. I am not comfortable with a iwb holster they just don't fit my body style. when I can't carry the m&p I swear by my kel-tec
    p32 with the belt clip. using hollow points I would not be worried about this weapon. It will do the job becuase you have it. A gun will only save your life if you have it, if you leave it in the drawer it is useless. trust the 32, it will cover any situation you may be confronted with.
    Good luck

The Glock 27 is heavy you say

Maybe you should buy a Glock 26... compared to most that I have tried the Glock subcompacts are VERY, VERY LIGHT. The Glock 26 has become my new primary carry gun in the summer. I hardly even notice I'm carrying a gun anymore, and that's after carrying a SIG P230 and for a short time the S&W 360 Airlite.

Sorry, but I think you should consider another method of carrying the Glock... maybe even the SmartCarry.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links