Bought an LCP

Bought an LCP

This is a discussion on Bought an LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the shooting range and they had just got in several new Ruger LCPs. I had been looking for a Ruger when I bought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought an LCP

Thumbs up Bought an LCP

Went to the shooting range and they had just got in several new Ruger LCPs. I had been looking for a Ruger when I bought my NAA 32
    and this was the first one I had seen it was a great little carry gun and felt about half as heavy as my NAA. I went on into the range and a buddy of mine and I were testing some new handloads in 454, a guy came in who had bought a LCP and stared shooting in the lane next to us he saw me watching and offered me the LCP to shoot, I put two mags of 380 ball through it thanked him went out to the store and worked out a deal and traded my NAA and got an LCP. Then I went back in and put 50 rounds of ball and 20 rounds of gold dot through my new LCP it fired every round without a hitch. I hated to get rid of my NAA but I wanted the lighter gun with the bigger bullet
    and I think after a few more rounds the Ruger will become a great little drop in the pocket for a run to the store gun but as I am getting old and lazy I think it will get carried a lot more

Just bought on myself, should be here any day now. I have a couple of Keltecs, BUT, I LOVE RUGERs, so I HAD to buy an LCP too.

What is a "good" price for one of these?
    My collection:
    Taurus: PT145
    FN Herstal: Five-seveN
    Springfield Armory: XDM
    Taurus: Ultra-Lite titanium .38spl
    Glock: G26 w- Night sights

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Any price over 300, and you're paying too much.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by NYRFan View Post
    What is a "good" price for one of these?
    I paid 279 for mine. Ran fifty rounds through it this week. Not the most fun to shoot. Cannot get my second finger completely on the grip, has some kick to it, long trigger pull and the sights are hard to line up. But they are all trade offs for such a small pistol in this caliber. More accurate than I expected for a little pistol. But it sure is GREAT to pocket carry. That for me won out over all the other negatives. I am just too uncomfortable with the weight of a larger pistol and never really cc'ed until I got this. Now I cc often and just drop this little sucker in my pocket. (in a pocket holster of course) The size and weight are approx to my Treo cell phone. I am very happy I bought the LCP.

VIP Member
    I like my LCP also. The way I work it is the easiest and most carried gun I use. Whenever I leave from here I ramp up to a more suitable CCW, but the LCP fills a void for me here around the farm.

BTW, even though my LCP is holstered and deep in my pockets it gets dirty and sweaty very quickly, at least for me, YMMV. I read some good advice to unholster it at night, so it can dry out if needed, though it'll be necessary for me to do plenty of cleanings and oilings.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Mine has performed perfectly, and is great in the pocket in a Nemesis pocket holster.!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Mine has fired every time too. It is a harsh little pistol on the hand but it sure is convenient as a grab & go gun. It's a keeper.

Got my wife to agree... 45 minutes later had 2 LCPs in hand

It's official: I'm a hero for finding a pair of new LCPs for $40 under MSRP. My wife, stationed in a foreign country (California), can't wait to come home for the holidays and fire hers. I'll be at the range tomorrow.

Our favorite sporting goods store hosted a big meet and greet with one of the officers of the Ruger company a few weeks ago. My wife was out of the state, I was out of town

I found the flier again today and gave them a call, thinking I'd have to wait weeks or months, and never see the sale price ($70 off MSRP).

I told them my story and they said to hustle in - I put the dogs in their kennels and took off like a shot.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Next on list

Im next on the list. Should have gun in hand by friday.

I've put around 300 rounds through mine, and it's running good now.
    Finally found extra mags for a decent price at Cheaper Than Dirt, so I'll have at least one spare.

Now to find the best price on ammo.
    <><
    "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."
    PS. 144:1 NIV

What kind of ammo are you using?

I haven't latched onto any yet, but I've just ordered a couple 20 round boxes of the Buffalo Bore +P 100 grain Hard Cast FN, P/N 27A/20, directly from the manufacturer.

Go to:

Product Line Listing

Where it reads:

The 380 auto inhabits a valuable and useful place in our society, mostly because of the easily concealable, tiny pistols chambered for it. HOWEVER, because of the very limited size of the cartridge, it is plagued with limited power and therefore most of the existing ammo in 380 auto suffers from not being reliable as a man-stopper. We’ve studied and played with nearly all of the existing available 380 ammo and find it wanting as a reliable means of self defense, especially against a large, insane, drugged up/pain free, determined attacker.

Here’s the problem. The current 380 auto frangible ammo delivers a large amount of surface trauma, but lacks serious penetration. For example, if you shot me or another sane man in the face with modern frangible 380 ammo, it would blow off a big portion of my cheek and send a few teeth down my throat, I would undoubtedly fall to the ground in shock and pain, but I would be very much alive and functional if I could get past the shock and pain as that frangible bullet would have stopped some where inside my face, never making it to my brain. However, if you shot a drugged up maniac in the face with that same frangible 380 ammo and blew half his cheek off, he would keep right on coming because he is insane and is not thinking like you or I. Plus, he is likely pain free and fear free and wont know that half his cheek is missing and if he did know, he would not care. So whatever 380 ammo you shoot him in the face with, had better go through his face and blow his brain stem out the back of his head, because only a CNS (central nervous system) hit with a 380 is going to stop him. Likewise, a torso hit to the sternum needs to penetrate deep enough to blow all the way through his spine in order to shut him down spontaneously. If you fail to shut him down instantly, you and your loved ones are going to have to find a way to survive while you wait for him to bleed out and pass out. The best chance of survival for you and your family is to shut down the attacker instantly. So, we’ve designed a few 380 auto +P loads to keep you and your loved ones alive under the worst of scenarios.

This 380 Auto+P ammo will better all American made 380 Auto ammo by 150 fps to 200 fps in all bullet weights we make. This is a serious improvement in this typically anemic cartridge. This 380 auto+P ammo is more powerful than the typical 38SPL ammo made by most American ammo makers and you’ll get 7 shots of it in a small/flat/light weight 380 versus 5 shots out of a bulkier 38 SPL J frame revolver. Additionally, with the 380 you’ll get much faster reloads and the little magazines are flatter than a speed-loader used for a J frame.

Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,150 fps out of my 3.75 inch BDA (Browning Double Action). We’ve used a flash suppressed powder for all three of our 380 auto loads so that you wont be blinded by your own gunfire if you have to shoot in the dark and since around 95% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light, the chances that your own gunfire will blind you while you are trying to save your life, are good—we’ve eliminated this variable by using flash suppressed powder. We’ve also chosen a flat nosed solid bullet. The flat on the nose ensures that the bullet will cut/smash its way through flesh and bone and do much more destruction than typical round nose FMJ bullets. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through matter, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities recorded from my personal 380 auto pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not exaggerated speeds produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo, is truly what you get in the “real world”, where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over penetration with this load, DON’T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 380 auto pistol and the trade-off is that you are now going to have to stay alive with that pistol and over penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.

BDA-3.75 inch barrel--- 1160 fps
    Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1149 fps
    Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1072 fps
    Keltec---1061 fps

Sounds convincing, doesn't it!

Yep, except I dont know about using +p in a LCP?

I have a Keltec P3AT that I like very much but I am also going to look into the LCP because like some others here I like Rugers.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links