642 vs 340 M&P

642 vs 340 M&P

This is a discussion on 642 vs 340 M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new 642 no lock to the range for the first time in my Mika holster that I just got, I also carried ...

Thread: 642 vs 340 M&P

Distinguished Member

642 vs 340 M&P

I took my new 642 no lock to the range for the first time in my Mika holster that I just got, I also carried along my 340 M&P. I shoot the 642 first. I was grouping low left in the 9 ring about the 8 o'clock position on a bulls-eye target at 10 yards. I was shooting American Eagle 158 gr. lead round nose ammunition. I think that I might have been jerking before the shoot, because the pull is so long and heavy. After that I did the same with the 340, I was hitting the 10 ring and low left in the 9, about the 6 o'clock position. Not that I don't like the 642, I do, but I could tell a difference in trigger pull on the 340. It didn't feel as long or heavy as the 642 and it was a whole lot smoother. I could see the sights a lot better too on the 340. I see now why it cost more. If they come out with a no lock 340, my 642 and 340 will be for sale. Also I didn't have much of a choice of ammo, I have to shoot there's. I don't mind paying the higher price if that keeps the range open, but I wish they had a better selection.

Have owned a 442 for several years. About 6 months ago I purchased a 340M&P. After a couple of hundred rounds thru it and several thousand dry fires (using snap caps), I cannot feel any difference in the triggers between the 2 guns. The "Big Dot" front sight on the 340 is much better that the black blade on the 442. The 340 is a "handful" with 158gr hollow points. After I shoot about 20 rounds of this, the 442, using +p ammo feels like shooting a .22
    I thought it would be easier and cheaper to buy the 340 than to modify the sight system on the 442. (I don't like laser grips on anything.)

Distinguished Member
    I didn't notice a difference in the kick between the two and I finished with Speer GD 135 gr. SBHP 38+p. , but I only ran 10 rounds through each, because I am only suppose to use range ammo, but I wanted to test it for bullet pull before I used it for defense. I didn't think recoil was bad in either with the ammo I was shooting. I ran 50 rounds each of the 158 gr. American Eagle lead round nose ammo. I guess you mean 158 gr. 357 ammo and I would agree.

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that the heavier the gun, perceived recoil goes down, even on guns with the same trigger pull.

Distinguished Member
    Yes, I would say that is true, but the 340 weighs 13.8 oz and the 642
    weighs 15.8 oz, that is not much difference.

"I didn't notice a difference in the kick between the two and I finished with Speer GD 135 gr. SBHP 38+p."

Load that bugger up with some full house 357 loads, and you'll notice a difference. My 340 M&P was okay with practice loads, but awful with defensive 357.

Like the others, I noticed no difference in trigger pull. Price difference seems to be based in the more "exotic" materials ("Scandium"). The difference in weight wasn't enough to make me want to keep the 340, since I didn't like shooting it. I did keep the 642, and it rides in my pocket daily.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

Distinguished Member
    I agree the 357 is a different animal, but you can't say 38+p isn't a defense round. We don't have the same two revolvers, but there is a noticeable difference in trigger pull and smoothness in mine. Maybe it is because it is a new non lock model, but my bet would be that the 340 is better made. It was designed for law enforcement. Buckshot is hard to practice with, but I never felt the kick when I shot a deer. I bet it would be the same if you were shooting 357's out of a snub nose in a defense situation.

Sponsored Links