I finally bought the S&W 642 Airweight 38S+P

This is a discussion on I finally bought the S&W 642 Airweight 38S+P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been going in circles for months on this. .357 version vs .38 My uncertainty in a typical SD situation, with the barrels sizes to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been going in circles for months on this. .357 version vs .38

My uncertainty in a typical SD situation, with the barrels sizes to consider, is there much different between .357 and .38 SPL +P. Knowing how much I disliked shooting the .357 Mag from a J-frame, how would I react in SD.

I could not deside, because everything just went in circles. So I desided, no matter what I bought, I would always have buyers remorse (well...regret). So I went with the option that would be $300+ less.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my posts concerning this decision. It helped a lot.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member
    I just shoot my 642 no lock for the first time today and I also shoot my 357, 340 at the same time. I hate to tell you but there is know comparison in the two revolvers, I can see why the 340 is more expensive. I am not knocking the 642, but until you have shoot both of them at the same time you cannot compare them. It's like the difference between a Python and a 686. Both are good but one is better and cost more. I have a thread running now 642 vs 340 M&P.

642 is PERFECT carry gun... downright unpleasant to shoot, but great carry piece. I honestly don't know how in the world folks shoot a full house 357 mag out of a lightweight gun, but I promise you wouldn't enjoy it. 38+p is quite violent out of the 642, I can't imagine a 357. Now, my 686 is a totally different story, but it weighs 40 ounces!
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

I bought both a 340 M&P, and a 642. I saw no difference in fit and finish between the two. I was not impressed with the finish on the 340 which seemed to nick easily.

The biggest differences between these two models were in the price, and the fact that the 340 was downright painful to shoot with 357 self defense loads.

I kept the 642, and it rides in my pocket daily. The 340 is long gone.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

Distinguished Member
    You must have got a bad 340 or I got a bad 642. There is a night and day difference. I am not trying to start a fight with 642 owners, I have one too and there are a lot more 642 owners than 340. I am just giving you a opinion of mine, that I just shoot yesterday. It doesn't make any difference to me which one is better I already have each one, but one is better than the other. I am not going to get rid off my 642 until they make a non lock 340 or something better. I trust the 642 more but the 340 is smoother and I shoot it better and for the price difference it should be smoother and shoot better.

I have several good carry guns and am happy with all of the, Sig P239 40, Keltek 380, But the gun I carry the most is my S&W 642 with laser grips, in a pocket carry holster. It is so nice just to drop it in and go, not have to worry if it is showing, covered, what shirt to wear.... Really spoils you.

Good choice.....

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

My wife has been talking about a gun and I started looking around for here one. Although I have several semi's I always liked a revolver. I was in a pawn shop and the fellow showed me this little gun that I fell in love with. It was lite and the trigger was the best I have ever tried. I kept looking at it and figured out it was a 340PD Hi-Viz and chambered for .357 rather than .38. The clerk didn't really know a lot about it. The price was $600.

After a few days I couldn't stand it any more and went back and bought it for $600 OTD. I figure if my wife doesn't like it I can use it. The part that had me confused was I could not tell if it had ever been fired it was in that kind of shape. I don't plan on using .357 ammo in it though.

All in all I say who cares which is "nicer", even if it is true?

I like the new gun dude! Looks great for CCW, I've considered a revolver for summer carry, that one looks sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I just shoot my 642 no lock for the first time today and I also shoot my 357, 340 at the same time. I hate to tell you but there is know comparison in the two revolvers, I can see why the 340 is more expensive. I am not knocking the 642, but until you have shoot both of them at the same time you cannot compare them. It's like the difference between a Python and a 686. Both are good but one is better and cost more. I have a thread running now 642 vs 340 M&P.
    Get some snap-caps and dry fire it while you're watching TV (I recommend doing this while alone, as this can be disconcerting to the un-initiated). I find that after about 500 snaps, it will start to get smoother (shooting will, of course, accomplish the same goal, but dry firing will do it quicker AND cheaper). You could also put in a Wolff's reduced power spring set. Doing both will make the action smoother and the trigger pull easier.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by oldpoet451 View Post
    Get some snap-caps and dry fire it while you're watching TV (I recommend doing this while alone, as this can be disconcerting to the un-initiated). I find that after about 500 snaps, it will start to get smoother (shooting will, of course, accomplish the same goal, but dry firing will do it quicker AND cheaper). You could also put in a Wolff's reduced power spring set. Doing both will make the action smoother and the trigger pull easier.
    I did the 500 snaps and noticed a slight difference. Decided to have a gunsmith work the action and chose Teddy Jacobson - http://www.actionsbyt.com/

Teddy did an INCREDIBLE job on my 340PD and I think he took the pull from around 15lbs to 8lbs. I gotta tell ya... it is BUTTER SMOOTH and you can't even tell when the break is coming. I became much more accurate after the trigger job. I opted for his COMPLETE ACTION JOB for around $130 or something like that (can't recall)

I go back and forth between front pocket and smart carry and haven't shot my nuts off as of yet so trust the 8lb pull.

Email Teddy to see if he's still working on guns. I believe he is retired now but if you can get him to work on your revolver you will be sending me Christmas cards and thanking me daily!

Oh, by the way, I sent my revolver to Teddy and he had it back to me in a week.

Distinguished Member
    Y'all must have been reading my mind, I was thinking about dry firing and a trigger job. Thanks for the reference, FNG. If I can't find someone local I will check with him.
    Now that brings up a new question for a new thread.

I've fired over 3000 rounds through my S&W642CT. I do not understand the complaints about the felt recoil with this gun. First, since this is a CQG and not some 50 yard tackdriver, there isn't any reason IMHO, to load up +P or even .357 ammo. A basic 125gr HP or SP cartridge with this weapon is plenty.

642 fills a niche

I've had a 642 for about 12 years, and it is a very useful gun for certain applications, although it is difficult to shoot accurately at medium to longer range. I tend to view it as a backup gun, or something to carry when you can't hide anything larger. It seems that everybody owns one.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have been carrying a 642 w/CT for 3 years if you consider the best carry gun is the one you carry all the time the 642 fits the bill. I have several other pocket carry guns ie; PM-9, Keltec 32, Beretta Tom Cat, American Derringer,etc. but when I leave the house I nearly always drop the 642 in my pocket.

Just picked up a 642 along with a CZ 75B this afternoon.

The 642 will definitely need some work on the action, but it is a great little pocket gun.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links