Gun shows, deals to be had???

This is a discussion on Gun shows, deals to be had??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Next weekend there is a gun show in south Miami, I'm about 290 miles round trip from there. I'm looking to buy a S&W 9mm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun shows, deals to be had???

Next weekend there is a gun show in south Miami, I'm about 290 miles round trip from there. I'm looking to buy a S&W 9mm Sigma. Locally $360. Florida Gun Brokers on line $299.. After shipping, FFL fees I save 19 bucks so go locally for $360, Now besides saving bucks on the gun at the show(?), there are holsters and lazers at the gun show, OH MY! Also I can go fire the bugger at a range up there in Miami. We have no ranges here, 120 miles the best. ( I'm in Key West). Can I get a good deal at a gun show or am I barkin' up an emtry tree???

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yes you can but that deal is going to be offset by the price of gas. So in the long run....no.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I'd say if there were no other shows to go to, and an endless amount of firearms and attachments excites you, go.
    Don't go if all you want to save some money on a purchase, you won't save that much w/ the price of gas being what it is.

I like the shows myself though I rarely buy. It's worth it just to see what's out there and touch it. My closest show is an hour away.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

I think there are great deals to be had at these shows. I buy targets and ammo. in bulk. I would agree that with the price of gas and your trek that it wouldn't be a "awesome" deal. If your looking for the experience , or if you've never gone then you'll have fun. I know the show here in Tampa is OK, but the crowds almost make the experience not fun at all. I will either go late in the day, or early early in the morning. If you go. please be safe, and have fun!
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Sure there are....but not like there used to be. Mainly you can find deals on magazines and ammo and maybe AR-15 accessories.

I cant speak for all areas of the country, but up here, gun shows used to be great. Now, they are pretty pathetic.

If you are serously contemplating driving 5 hours to save $19, you need a new hobby :-) Oh wait, there's an $8 entry charge, so that's $11 :)

It's good if you want to get out and kick some tires. Good if you want to buy something heavy like a case of ammo. Maybe you'll find a good deal, but you'll definitately be able to put your hands on all sorts of gadgets.

If you've ever had a gun that proved to be a lemon you can send it in for warranty at little cost. If it's from a gun show, probably not. The local gun shop if it's a good one would be better. Lack of any shooting range in your vicinity should be a business opportunity for somebody. Mention it on all the shooting forums you can find and maybe something will get done.

The gun show that comes through Denver is good for ammo, t-shirts, and magazines. Sometimes I see good deals on firearms but it's rare... it's about a 30 minute drive for me, so it's ok for an entertaining half day.

Personally I wouldn't drive that far for a show... especially with the price of gas. But I guess that depends on how bored you are that day :)
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Save your gas money and buy something locally or online with it. I think you will get "more for your money".

If your time, gas, and money mean nothing to you, then by all means, go to the show. Considering your circumstances, you are much better off attempting to establish a relationship with a local dealer.

You said 290 miles...that means a tank of gas(at least), plus 5 hours of your time, at we'll say $20 an hour....so that puts you out $140(assuming you have a vehicle that gets great gas mileage)...

If you want to go to have fun, I hope you have a great time, but if you're looking for a good deal, you need to keep on looking.

Just my .02.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I have found some AMAZING deals on used guns at gunshows. Not so much on new stuff. But I love them anyway. If money were no object, I'd say take the drive and enjoy yourself. We have a pretty big show here, rather frequently (JXN, MS), so I go often. No, you're not going to save any money. Yes, I know, used guns typically are warranty-less. There are all sorts of advantages on both sides. But I simply love the shows. Even if I go in with $20 bucks to my name, I leave with a box of Cor-Bons or something (usually have to haggle the guy down on the Cor-Bons!) Go have a good time. Don't expect a miracle, but remember, one just might happen!!

Casey
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten!"

--Clint Smith

Try Jigs on Big Pine there pretty fair there. Its before the light if going north. I think
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

Gun shows are very much a hit or miss proposition (pun intended). I've been to some that the term "gun" show was very much a misnomer.

Here in San Antonio we're fortunate to have the SAXET Gun Show once a month, and it's truly outstanding. Typically, a large number of dealers with a widely varied lineup of products. I've made lots of great deals there, on both weapons and ammo. The same I've been to the SAXET show in Austin, and it's pretty good, just usually not as many dealers as the one in San Antonio.

You do need to go with a plan in mind, though.

First, have an idea of the "street price" of the weapons you're interested in. I check the online sellers and auctions, and publications like Shotgun News, to see what prices are like. You can then have a good basis for comparison with the bottom-line "out the door" (OTD) cost. I consistently find prices on new weapons at least as good as the best online prices.

Second, get there early and do a quick walk-through of the entire show to get an idea of who's selling what. New weapons from the big dealers are pretty consistent in availability, but you want to spot the unique items, especially from the individuals who are selling personal weapons.

Third, and most importantly in getting a good deal, bring CASH. Most dealers will have a better cash price, and a lot don't take credit cards at all. It makes it much easier to deal when you find something you just can make a straight-up cash offer. And don't be hesitant to make an offer. I got a really nice M1 Garand last month for $150 less than the initial price by making a cash counter-offer. Make your offer for the best OTD price, so you know the bottom line. I have a little zipper pouch that I carry my capital purchase money in. Makes it easier to handle at the point of sale.

Fourth, keep an eye out for the individuals making personal weapon sales. A couple of months ago, I bought an unfired S&W Model 29-2 within 15 minutes of the shows opening. Got it from an individual who was helping another guy at his ammo booth. If you do spot a really good deal, you want to act quickly.
    No paperwork or tax to deal with, potentially lower OTD cost.

I love going to a good gun show and get irritated with the bad ones. If any of you ever get the chance to make it to the one in San Antonio, drop me a line. We could have a defensivecarry.com regional meeting! Ronwill and I met at one last year, and it was great to visit in person, instead of just online.

Good luck and have fun!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Going to a gun show today theres probably around 100 to 150 tables,I'm driving 5 miles to it and 5.00 entry fee I'm looking for some extra mags for a couple new pistols i bought,if theres a great deal on a gun i been drooling for I might have some splaining to do when I get home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    One particularly good thing about a gun show is the variety of guns you can look at and check out. Often times you can run across that hard-to-find NIB gun you've been looking for. If you're looking to save money on a gun, these days you'd burn up the savings buying gasoline to get there.

I go to gunshows pretty often and occasionally buy a gun or case of ammo. Sometimes you find a really good deal plus I like supporting the gun show.....if no one went it would fold up. Plus it's "something to do".

Don't forget about supporting the "mom and pop" gun stores also, they are my favorite and I buy from them as much as possible.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links