Ruger P345

This is a discussion on Ruger P345 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my second off-duty weapon today. I found a used Ruger P345 at my local gun shop for a good price. I know ...

Thread: Ruger P345

Ruger P345

I just got my second off-duty weapon today. I found a used Ruger P345 at my local gun shop for a good price. I know I have said I would get a G30 for my 2nd off duty but I couldn't beat the deal I got. My question is, what kind of break-in period am I looking at with the 345? I fired around 75 rounds today with it and I love the SA trigger pull and I am more accurate with the 345 than my issue G21, even with the DA pull. My issue is in looking at the feed ramp of the G21 and the 345, the 345 has a much steeper feed ramp. Does this affect feeding and reliability?
    Last edited by mulle46; August 30th, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

I got a new P-345 a while back and I don't think I've ever had a misfeed. I use FMJ for target, but it's been a great gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I just got my second off-duty weapon today. I found a used Ruger P345 at my local gun shop for a good price. I know I have said I would get a G30 for my 2nd off duty but I couldn't beat the deal I got. My question is, what kind of break-in period am I looking at with the 345? I fired around 75 rounds today with it and I love the SA trigger pull and I am more accurate with the 345 than my issue G21, even with the DA pull. My issue is in looking at the feed ramp of the G21 and the 345, the 345 has a much steeper feed ramp. Does this affect feeding and reliability?
    I have never had a Ruger to jam or mis-feed. Using that as the criteria, I suppose that there is no breakin period.

I would run a box of full power .45 ball through it and call it good. If you are going to carry it, include a box of your carry ammo and see if it runs it. Run it until it proves it's good then call it settled in.

I had a couple misfeeds in my first 75 rounds but Im thinking it was probably my fault. I'd already shot about twice as much as my normal range session by the time I bought the P345. So my form was the likely culprit . I shot a box of FMJ and 3 mags of Winchester Ranger 230 gr SXT.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    If the Winchester Ranger are going to be your standard carry load I would concentrate on those. I'd want to shoot at the least 50 rounds, and probably 100-150 rounds to make sure it will function flawlessly with them.
    On a side note, I thought JHP were not legal in NJ, or does that just apply to civilians and not LEO?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Archer, I think those will probably be my carry ammo. Yes, JHP are not civilian legal in NJ for defensive ammo for a carry weapon as far as I can tell from the NJSP website. They would be legal from my reading of the website for use in a nightstand gun. YMMV

When Ruger has a break-in period, I'm calling it quits. My P345 never had a problem, never a failure to do what it's intended to do...pull the trigger and it fires. Handles very nicely, too, and conceals very well.
    Last edited by joelg; August 31st, 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: to eliminate the "with Ruger" in the beginning sentence.
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

To everyone that replied, thank you. I think my problems with the Ruger P345 were a result of my form(already shot double my range session by the time I bought the P345 rather than any problem with the gun itself. Only concern I have now after reading comments is wondering if P90 mags will feed in a P345. I bought a spare third magazine but it was a P90 mag. Is there any problem with that?

Links