Question about feeding problems

This is a discussion on Question about feeding problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am having feeding troubles with my PT145. It only seems to happen on the first 2 or 3 rounds per magazine. I can see ...

Thread: Question about feeding problems

I am having feeding troubles with my PT145. It only seems to happen on the first 2 or 3 rounds per magazine. I can see exactly what's happening and am wondering if there is anything I can do to fix it. Basically the rounds are hanging up of the edge of the feed ramp. When the slide blows back the barrel tips forward a little causing the next round to be jammed into the bottom lip of the feed ramp. I don't know if this is a magazine problem (not enough angle for the round to clear the ramp) or if it's the barrel or what? This happens with pretty much any ammo. Thanks for any info.

I have a PT945 and I had a similar problem, the rounds were hanging up on the inside of the mag, try a different mag, it will probably clear your problem.
    Check your magazine to see if there is a rough edge inside where the slot for the mag release is, that is where the rounds were hanging up on my magazine which shifted the rounds enough that they wouldent line up correctly/

Administrator
    The PT145 has an integral ramp.
    One thing to really need to check out is if it is really the front end of the cartridge that is hanging up on the barrel ramp OR...the rear of the cartridge that it not able to easily move up into the extractor.

Both jam types pretty much look the same.

The weakest link for all semi-autos is the magazine.
    So the first thing to do is buy another magazine and see if the problem stops.
    Make certain that your magazine feed lips are smooth where they contact the cartridge case during the feed cycle.

It also sure will never hurt to carefully/judiciously polish the ramp and also very lightly "break" the bottom edge of the barrel chamber if it is sharp.

Another thing that you want to do is make sure that your slide and frame rails are smooth (free of burrs) and well lubed with a slippery grease rather than oil.

Whatever cuts down on slide/frame friction aids feeding as it increases available feed energy for all semi-autos.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Would have to agree with QKShooter. The magazine is typically the weak link. Since it's only happening with the first 2-3 rounds, I would definitely suspect the magazine. Any other ailment would probably be a consistant problem. Something else you might try if you have any dummy ammo, is to slowly cycle the gun by hand, just to see how it's feeding. You didn't mention how many rounds you've fired through it, so it might still be going through the break in process.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Ok, I think I've determined it to be the magazines. The springs are so tight that after you load more than 7 rounds, the rounds are forced to tip down just a bit to slide out of the magazine. Therefore this is pushing the tip of the bullet down into the feed ramp instead of up into the ramp. Also when pushing the rounds out by hand, the casings (right where the bullet and casing meet) are getting caught on the front lip of the mag. I think I'll ask Taurus for some new mags. In the meantime is there anything I can do to speed up the loosening process for the mags I already have?

I believe what you have is a mag issue also. My Kimber Ultra would do the same thing. I isolated it to the mags and determined the spring was too strong. I left them fully loaded for a while until the mags "took a set" and relaxed a little. After that I've had no more problems.

Administrator
    Leave them fully loaded all the time.
    That should ease the upward spring pressure a bit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links