My new P3ATs first range trip

This is a discussion on My new P3ATs first range trip within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a few days ago about buying 2 new P3ATs off gunbroker, well today I took them to the range, along with my PT145 ...

Thread: My new P3ATs first range trip

My new P3ATs first range trip

I posted a few days ago about buying 2 new P3ATs off gunbroker, well today I took them to the range, along with my PT145 which has been having feeding problems. I shot WWB 95gr, Rem FMJ 95gr, and a few Hornady XTP 95gr. Out of 150rds (75 each) of FMJ I had 2 FTE's one after another on the first mag after switching to the Remingtons, and only on one of the guns. It seems the ejector simply didn't grab the casing either time. Other than that both guns performed great. I had a great time shooting these little guys. Unfortunately I have a nasty blister to show for it on the inside of the first knuckle of my trigger finger. Oh, the PT145 performed flawlessly today with everything I fed it.

Edit: Just figured out my FTE problem. I didn't have an ejector in that gun all day!!! I either lost it yesterday (I don't remember it falling out), or it wasn't there when I got it. Either way, it still ejects pretty good, and I'll just call Kel-Tec on Tues. to get a new one.
    Last edited by j21blackjack; August 30th, 2008 at 10:44 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wow, no ejector? Hope they fix that for you without a problem.

Just occurred to me. You are probably talking about the extractor from the way you describe it... the claw that pulls the brass from the chamber, right?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    The ejector on the P3AT, unless they have changed, is not fixed by a retainer. When one cleans the gun the ejector can fall out. The first time I had it happen I saw it on the floor, and had no idea what it was or where it fit. Of course the manual showed it, but one must be careful not to lose it. I have considered ordering a spare, but have not yet.

I am surprised that it would eject without it.

Regards,
    Jerry

I've had two of them for some time and nearly always have one along. Golden Sabers always seem to work well in mine. If you can find any Santa Barbara surplus Spanish police ammo it's possibly the best in them. Surprising, but true. I find it very hard to shoot them accurately because there's so little to hang onto and haven't found the Bersa mag extension to mae much difference. I had good 3-dot sights put on one but that didn't help much. Too much ofa bad flinch with the snapping little gun. I'm nearly as bad with any pocket pistol...much rather shoot my new XD-45c which is heavy and steady and low velocity. Still, the little KT goes where others can't go and will fit the watch pocket of some shorts and jeans like a little holster. It's really the best single gun for CCW. It's always there even when my favorite can't be.
    Glad you like them. Everybody should have one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Just occurred to me. You are probably talking about the extractor from the way you describe it... the claw that pulls the brass from the chamber, right?
    Nope, it's the ejector, or else it wouldn't eject rounds at all. It's the little square shaped piece that fit's on the frame. Like I said, I'm almost certain that it went missing before going to the range and the gun worked just fine all day. I can hand cycle it and every round still ejects.

Look on your cleaning bench for a little black metal part...you do clean on a cloth or towel, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've looked everywhere for it, but can't find it. My wife cleaned and swept the room where I had taken it apart so it's certainly gone now..

Found the ejector after my second range trip Monday! However, both the guns worked great, even the one without the ejector. I did determine that neither p3at likes the Remington FMJ round nose stuff. Had one FTE and 3 FTF's with it. I almost had to pull the FTE out with a knife b/c it had gotten stuck in the barrel. All in all I really like the p3at's, I even figured out how to grip it without wearing a hole in the side of my trigger finger and was able to put over 100 rounds downrange.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    -take 600 grit emery paper, roll it into a tube and push it in and out of the chamber. Do NOT twist it. Simply work it in and out in the same direction the bullet slips in or is pulled out. This cleans up the chamber a bit and can help with both FTF and FTE. Then take a bit if jewelers rouge and work the feed ramp, again, only in the direction the bullet travels. There are bullet shaped felt tips for dremel tools that fit this perfect. Only use the jewelers rouge, nothing more aggressive. Now if you use the dremel it rotates (that can't be helped), but move it up and down the ramp and use a low speed. It'll put a shine on the ramp and that'll help with FTF.

Then I recommend you use a quality pistol grease to lube the rails, not just CLP or oil. I have some stuff I've had for years and it really helps. Keep it very clean and it'll help.

Now for the sharp checkers. If you take one of those bullet shaped felt tips for a dremel, you can lightly buff the sharp areas and it'll dull the points on the checkering. GO EASY as this is irreversible. It doesn't really mar the finish but it won't look brand new either. Ive done it to 2 P3AT's and it worked great. I tried the houge rubber grip but that kept twisting on me. It felt good when it was tight but I didn't like how it moved.

I still have one of my P3AT's and it's very reliable with all FMJ and some JHP. Speer Gold Dots work well in mine as do Golden Sabers. Remington UMC FMJ works great but the UMC JHP can give me FTF.

Enjoy it!

I carry my P3AT everyday in a SC. It has never liked Remington ammo, but sucks up the WWB and Fedral Hydra-Shocks. You can go to this site and get info on how to do a "fluff & buff" on your pistols that will help:

KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group

For the blister, I've got a slip-on grip and grip pads that really take the bite out of this little pistol and makes it a lot more accurate.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

When I sent my P3AT in for repair Kel-Tec polished the feed ramp along with the other repairs. It's worked perfectly since with every brand of ammo I've fed it, probably 300-400 rounds total including some ammo a guy gave me that has green corrosion on the cases.
    The only thing that I've seen that I'm not sure I like is that the spent cases are flattened slightly at the open end. Since I don't reload them I've not worried about it since the gun is functioning perfectly otherwise.

Links