Anyone USING A KEL TEC PF-9?

This is a discussion on Anyone USING A KEL TEC PF-9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own a p32 for a back up and love it. Just wondering if any one has shot the newer pf-9 and what do ...

Thread: Anyone USING A KEL TEC PF-9?

I currently own a p32 for a back up and love it. Just wondering if any one has shot the newer pf-9 and what do think? I may purchase it for the wife (or just tell her that). thanks for any thoughts.

I tried the same thing on my wife. Didn't work out for me though. I did end up with a pair of p3at's so I'm still pretty happy.

i have a pf9. don't have many rounds through it yet, less than 100, but so far it's problem free. it does pack some recoil because of the light frame. it's not a lot of fun to shoot, but it serves it's purpose. it fits in most of my front pockets with no printing. and is also very comfortable to carry iwb because it's so slim.

accurate, reliable, but it hurts like methuselah to shoot.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I wanted one until I shot one. It would be good as a BUG, but no fun to practice with IMO. If you want the best of both worlds, go with a Walther PPS like I did.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Senior Moderator
    Yep.
    I use one for a backup gun (BUG).

Its flat, and its small enough with a big enough caliber to make it worthwile to carry second to my .45 Sig.

I dont have a problem shooting it, its accurate enough, and it works.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I considered a PF9 until I looked at the Kahr PM9. I've never regretted getting the Kahr. I do have a KelTec P3AT as a BUG, but as stated in another post it's not much fun to shoot. It is however easily concealed in a pocket so pretty much goes wherever I do. Then again the PM9 concelas easily as well. Just a bit heavier. If you didn't have the money for the Kahr the PF9 would be adequate.
    Join the NRA.

As stated, the PF can be painful to shoot. The wife may not like it! I find the trigger to be somewhat heavy (good for safety!) and a bit LOOONG in travel. The travel forces me to flinch or push the shot everytime, even when I try and concentrate. Worst of my guns for "user" accuracy! Also be sure to wring it out well before carrying. KT's in general are hit or miss. My P3AT had a broken barrel out of the box, and my PF-9 broke at 50 & 200 rounds respectively. The 50-rd break paperweighted it with a broken hammer spring.

Broken pivot pin/takedown lever (gun still worked)

I had been looking at them, but for a little more I might lean toward the Kahr for a small 9mm.

Does anyone know how the kick from the PF9 compares to the kick from the AirWeight 642?
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

Bought one in '06. Liked it so much, I bought another one in '07. BUG in cool/cold seasons, primary in hot weather. Both been reliable and never sent back for any repairs. Over 1000rds thru one and close to that thru other one. Has replaced P3at as "always gun". With +p loads, I shoot it better than any of my j frames. Kick to me is not as bad as airweight Bodyguard with +ps. Never shot any Kahrs but lots of people like them.

Quote Originally Posted by bameroni View Post
    Does anyone know how the kick from the PF9 compares to the kick from the AirWeight 642?
    Never shot the 642, but all I know is the PF-9 is the only gun I have the physically hurts my hand to shoot a lot, mainly the palm area. It's so thin that there's not much area to absorb the recoil. I have other small guns too, a P3AT (fun to shoot), Kahr MK-40 (OK, metal frame is cheating a little), and an XD 40 SubC, and a 3" 1911 45. All the other small guns I love to shoot. The PF-9 is more of a chore.

VIP Member
    Yes the PF-9 has a kick but it is good for what it is slim and light to carry in a Crossbreed super tuck. You will not notice the kick if you have to use it. So far so good with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bameroni View Post
    I have a PF9 and shot AirWeights. The PF9 is nicer to shoot IMHO.

I carried my PF9 all weekend in one of my The Slides. Perfect sized gun and one that works. I have all 4 kel-tecs and they all work for me.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Sponsored Links