New Purchase Decision

This is a discussion on New Purchase Decision within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, the more I think about the upcoming election, the more nervous I get about my right to purchase any handgun I please. So currently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Purchase Decision

New Purchase Decision

Well, the more I think about the upcoming election, the more nervous I get about my right to purchase any handgun I please.

So currently I am carrying a Springfield XD9 with a Springer Precision trigger job in a MC5 holster. I have, however, been debating switching to something else for carry while simultaneously adding to my collection.

The thoughts:

1) S&W 642
    2) 1911 Commander Length .45 ACP

I had thought about a Sig 228 or 229, but those are going to be very similar in dimension to my XD and I would rather try a different gun shape for my IWB carry. I understand the (2) options above are very different, but those were my current thoughts.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Of the two, Commander all the way.

It's a great gun for IWB Carry, packs more punch than the 642.

Then again, the 642 is a great gun for carry, light and pocket-sized.

However, the Cmdr will give you more ammo on tap, and unless you work really hard with the speed loaders, you will get a faster reload with the Cmdr.

Also, I do have an easier time carrying more spare mags than speed loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Of the two, Commander all the way.

It's a great gun for IWB Carry, packs more punch than the 642.

Then again, the 642 is a great gun for carry, light and pocket-sized.

However, the Cmdr will give you more ammo on tap, and unless you work really hard with the speed loaders, you will get a faster reload with the Cmdr.

Also, I do have an easier time carrying more spare mags than speed loaders.
    Good points.

My main points would be:

642: Small package, Easily Concealed. While not a joy to shoot, it makes IWB carry that much easier/more comfortable. I know its not supposed to be "comfortable" as much as comforting...but still.

1911: Everyone loves these guns, Lots of accessory options, .45ACP, I've always wanted a commander length 1911. I've only fired a Kimber 3" and didnt like it, but only because my pinky was hanging off.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    Well, the more I think about the upcoming election, the more nervous I get about my right to purchase any handgun I please.
    If you're concerned about the election possibly affecting what you can buy later, I'd lean toward buying the auto now since some gun grabbers want to do away with autos but allow revolvers. You can always buy the revolver later.

Your plan is to eventually buy both, right?

aww, you know you want a P228! ;-)

Get the 642 now while you can get one without the lock!
    If you can't get a lock-less one, then get the Commander style.
    OR
    Better yet! Get both!!!
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

In my opinion every collection should have one of each. For now I would get the 642, reason Currently no lock. Get the 1911 in 2 years when the centennial editions start coming out.

How about the new HK45 compact, or the Kahr P45?
    Join the NRA.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    If you're concerned about the election possibly affecting what you can buy later, I'd lean toward buying the auto now since some gun grabbers want to do away with autos but allow revolvers. You can always buy the revolver later.

Your plan is to eventually buy both, right?
    +1 on that.
    I have my sights set on a DW bobtail commander, if I can find one. Going to be in Indiana in October, if I find one there I might be able to talk my son into buying "dear old dad" an early Christmas present!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Woah, all this great advice. I remembered loving this site.

Ironically, I was looking at the Dan Wesson Bobtail commander as the 1911 option. My father just ordered but has to pickup a scandium airweight that I plan to fire before making my decision.

Regarding the 228: Initially I wanted a 225 before I got my XD. I held the 225 and the little metal magazine extension was awfully close to being uncomfortable with my grip. The 228/229 would have been ideal, but I didnt want to spend the extra $200+ on them at the time.

Good thinking on the lock-less 642, as well as the gun grabbers thinking the 6+ shots of an auto is unecessary. Well so are guns, in general, no?

I also want to pickup a HD shotgun (posted about that here) but still haven't done so. If I want anything non hunting-length, I should probably look into that relatively soon as well.

Thanks again for the feedback and feel free to keep posting as its all helpful!

Good luck on finding a lock-less 642. I haven't been able to find one around St. Louis.

Regarding the shotgun, if a worst-case scenario in the elections and Congress happens, I'd guess shotguns will be available longer than any pistol.

One more thing: if you get the auto (or maybe even if you don't), I'd consider getting several spare mags just in case they're grandfathered in.

I realize a drastic gun ban is a worst-case scenario, but that's just the scenario I want to be prepared for. If it doesn't happen, what am I left with? Lots of ammo, enough hi-cap mags for many years, and several handguns. Not a bad way to lose if the worst-case scenario doesn't play out.

Good luck on finding a lock-less 642. I haven't been able to find one around St. Louis.
    I haven't even really begun my search aside from looking over GunBroker, but plan to ramp up here shortly.

Regarding the shotgun, if a worst-case scenario in the elections and Congress happens, I'd guess shotguns will be available longer than any pistol.
    I already have my skeet gun, but Im thinking they may make the HD shotguns more restricted (shorter length, larger capacity).

One more thing: if you get the auto (or maybe even if you don't), I'd consider getting several spare mags just in case they're grandfathered in.
    Im in the middle of purchasing more XD mags (I already have 5 higher capacity mags) but think having a few more would be nice.

I realize a drastic gun ban is a worst-case scenario, but that's just the scenario I want to be prepared for. If it doesn't happen, what am I left with? Lots of ammo, enough hi-cap mags for many years, and several handguns. Not a bad way to lose if the worst-case scenario doesn't play out.
    Im in the same boat. I know that it would take time, regardless, to be put into place, but I don't want to be saying "woulda, coulda, shoulda" if it does happen.

Thanks!

Of your choices, I'd get the 1911 first.
    Save the S&W for a later purchase.
    If weapons ever became 'Obamatized', it would probably happen to semi-auto's first (although I don't really think I'll see it happen in my lifetime).

Stay armed...buy now...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    I haven't even really begun my search aside from looking over GunBroker, but plan to ramp up here shortly.
    Picked up these little beauties this afternoon at Whittaker's just outside of Owensboro, KY.

They have several more 642s and will ship to FFLs. Scroll down the left-hand side of their main page to the "What you need to do to buy a gun" link for their terms. Darrel, Becky and the rest of their family are good people.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by oldpoet451 View Post
    Picked up these little beauties this afternoon at Whittaker's just outside of Owensboro, KY.

They have several more 642s and will ship to FFLs. Scroll down the left-hand side of their main page to the "What you need to do to buy a gun" link for their terms. Darrel, Becky and the rest of their family are good people.
    Thanks, oldpoet. They now have 1 less 642 no-lock for sale. If you're ever in St. Louis, I owe you a beer.

Now I need to take my own advice and keep shopping for another auto and more spare mags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links