9mm vs. a .45 as a carry gun

This is a discussion on 9mm vs. a .45 as a carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tally XD .45 has no more "stopping power" than a 9mm, or any other bullet for that matter. Stopping power is a ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 114

Thread: 9mm vs. a .45 as a carry gun

  1. #31
    Member Array ultra45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    .45 has no more "stopping power" than a 9mm, or any other bullet for that matter. Stopping power is a myth.


    .45acp makes a bigger hole than 9mm and its a heavier bullet. Thats all.

    9mm is a lot cheaper to practice with so those with 9mm should get lots of practice.


    I carry an XD .45acp Service, by the way.
    That may be your opinion, but it ain't FACT. Grab yourself any of the FBI studys covering this subject, along with a good number of others. The FBI may screw up alot of stuff, but the studies are on the money.

    Both rounds have their plus and minus', but 45 acp trumps the 9 every time. Thats a FACT.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra45 View Post
    That may be your opinion, but it ain't FACT. Grab yourself any of the FBI studys covering this subject, along with a good number of others. The FBI may screw up alot of stuff, but the studies are on the money.

    Both rounds have their plus and minus', but 45 acp trumps the 9 every time. Thats a FACT.

    What part isnt fact?

    It IS NOT a fact that .45acp trumps 9mm every time. It simply isnt true and you cannot supply any data to prove it. Dont tell me to go look for it, you supply it for us since you seem to know where it is.

    Whether .45acp trumps 9mm or not isnt data that supports stopping power. That only supports user opinion.

    It is a fact that .45acp is a bigger bullet, makes a bigger hole on entry and is a heavier bullet than 9mm.

    It is also fact that .45acp has NO MORE STOPPING POWER than anything else.

    SHOT PLACEMENT and CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DAMAGE determines stopping power. A shot with .22LR to the spinal cord will stop an attacker every time. A shot to the chest with .45acp might not stop an attacker at all.

    It is documented that .45acp does "tend" to cause more damage than 9mm round per round but that is because of its initial size versus maximum expansion vs. 9mm initial size vs. maximum expansion and the weight retention is usually greater with 230gr bullets.

    Also, if what you are stating were true, wouldnt the FBI carry .45acp ?

    I am all for .45acp. Its all I own and all I carry but its not the Holy Grail of handguns . . .
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array TWO GUNS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    2,628
    I do think the 45 acp is the Holy Grail of all handguns.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

  5. #34
    Member Array SnubMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    I once saw a man shot at point blank range 37 times in the head and 14 times in the chest with a 9mm and he was still able to finish the Ironman competition (he only placed 4th, though) and then wrestle a grizzly bear into submission.

    On the other hand, I once saw a man shot from 75 yards with a .45ACP. The round grazed his left pinky which blew his right arm and leg completely off his body and caused his brain to explode. Then his goldfish died.

    Gonzo

    HAHAHAHA wow now that funny!!! ------ "Then his goldfish died"

    hahahaa

  6. #35
    Member Array forestranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    318
    I like em both.

  7. #36
    Senior Member Array jframe38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    620
    I think the goldfish died of a seizure. Couldn't believe what happened!

  8. #37
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,242
    I personally love the .45 but I think caliber choice is a matter of what you can shoot accurately and equally as important, what you enjoy shooting so you'll do lots of it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

  9. #38
    Member Array tremor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    119
    like em both - for me it comes down to Glocks so, G19: 15+2+1 or G30: 10+1 - sometimes I'm sure the one is best and then other times ..... - they are both great pistols with very much the same basic dimensions

  10. #39
    Member Array dthowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30
    i have had both. my 9 was easier to draw and i was more accurate with it. and way cheaper to shoot. But i am accurate enough with my 45 and like it as well. now a days the guns are the same size. I personally do better with a 9 but love my .45

    it is all personal preference i guess
    So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

    Last line of "Rifle Creed" by Major General William H. Rupertus (USMC, Ret.)

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,781
    Stopping power schmopping power. I've carried both. The 1911 served our country for over 70 years. The only reason they switched was for logistic reasons and pressure from NATO. I'm sure some $$$ greased some hands between the manufacturers and the Pentagon somewhere, same as with the Bradley IFV.

    Put it this way (the way it was put to me by a Navy SEAL once): Would you rather get hit by a 45 in the hand or a 9mm traveling straight and true drilling you thru the upper lip at the base of the nose?

    It's all about shot placement, given the technology and progression of modern bullet configuration. A 9mm JHP is pretty much the same as a 45 JHP these days. The only time this becomes a major factor is in a US theater of Operations and then it matters when the good guys are using the 9mm and standard, military grade ball ammo. Then it's more of an issue. Hence the push by the troops and especially the "Operators" in all the services to move back to good old slabsides: The venerable 1911A1. However, that has seen it's day.

    If we return to the 45, it's going to be something like the H&K 45 or maybe an upgraded Sig P250 in 45 that can be fitted to every size hand by an almost unlimited combination of grip and frame sizes.

    I personally have two 1911s and a Sig P245. I'd feel well armed with any of them any time under any circumstances and trust me they have all saved my hide at one time or another. Oddly enough, never by having to actually pull a trigger. Long stories that I don't care to rehash.

    I do find that as I age, I like the lighter weight, heightened accuracy, higher capacity and lessened recoil of the 9mm. When I first realized this, I sought a fool proof platform, well tested by life's realities. H&K or Sig Sauer fill that bill for me. Whereas I used to swear by the cocked and locked simplicity of the 1911, I now espouse the safer (for me, personally) mechanism of a DA first shot. I may even eventually transition to a DAO in the form of the LEM configuration in the H&K or the DAK for the Sig. Again, just my personal preferences.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; September 2nd, 2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: spelling
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  12. #41
    Senior Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cadiz,Ky
    Posts
    1,177
    The German military used the 9mm in 2 wars. We used the .45 in several more.

    We won-they lost-nuff said.....LOL.

  13. #42
    VIP Member Array KenpoTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    The German military used the 9mm in 2 wars. We used the .45 in several more.

    We won-they lost-nuff said.....LOL.
    I didn't realize the caliber of a military's sidearm was the determining factor in the outcome of a major war...guess I learn something new every day.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

    If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

    Matt K.

  14. #43
    Member Array Air,Land&Sea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    A Blue State
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I didn't realize the caliber of a military's sidearm was the determining factor in the outcome of a major war...guess I learn something new every day.
    It's just that some carry bigger bullets and kick more ***.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

  15. #44
    Senior Member Array Beans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    AZ Border Territory,
    Posts
    1,002
    If its good enough for the US Army than it should be fine w/us.

  16. #45
    Senior Member Array cwblanco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    .45 has no more "stopping power" than a 9mm, or any other bullet for that matter. Stopping power is a myth.

    .45acp makes a bigger hole than 9mm and its a heavier bullet. Thats all.
    I disagree with you "That's all" comment. For example, the 1911 .45 ACP was originally adopted by the military because of insufficient stopping power attributable to smaller rounds.

    In addition to making a bigger hole, the .45 produces more foot pounds on impact. A way to test this is to put on a bullet proof vest designed to prevent penetration. Decide which round packs a bigger wallop, or stated otherwise, which is more likely to knock you on your butt without penetration.

    All that said, 9mm allows for greater magazine capacity, and contrary to what you say is, in my opinion easier concealed.

    As an after thought, I have been trying to find the reason that the military switched from the .45 to 9mm in the 1980's. There has been discussion in recent years to change to a .40 or .45, but it continues to be just talk.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Funny concealed carry with an obviously OPEN carry holster I saw today...
    By targus in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Search tags for this page

.45 vs 9mm for concealed carry
,
45 or 9mm for concealed carry
,

45 vs 9mm concealed carry

,

9mm or 45 for concealed carry

,

9mm vs 45 concealed carry

,

9mm vs 45 for carry

,

9mm vs 45 for concealed carry

,
aw geez
,
carry 9mm or 45
,
concealed carry 9mm vs 45
,
concealed carry 9mm vs 45 acp
,
which is bigger 9mm or .45
Click on a term to search for related topics.