9mm vs. a .45 as a carry gun

This is a discussion on 9mm vs. a .45 as a carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 9mm vs. a .45 as a carry gun

JD
    Administrator

2. Remove Ads

Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    "I once saw a man shot at point blank range 37 times in the head and 14 times in the chest with a 9mm and he was still able to finish the Ironman competition (he only placed 4th, though) and then wrestle a grizzly bear into submission.

On the other hand, I once saw a man shot from 75 yards with a .45ACP. The round grazed his left pinky which blew his right arm and leg completely off his body and caused his brain to explode. Then his goldfish died."

I don't want to get this debate/thread restarted, it's old and re-played regularly, there is no objective answer to this subjective question. As many have already said-SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT...................

BUT, I had to post here just to say, TheGreatGonzo, that is the funniest, best answer to this I've ever seen, I Love it!!
    Too Great! You really do deserve a prize for this!
    Wonderful Post, wish I had thought of it, but I will definatley use it and give you credit.

With modern ammo, 9mm, .40 and .45 all work. They work better with good hits. My personal choice is any cal that starts with .4. I like big holes - just a personal choice .
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I own and carry both the 9mm and the .45 and ill suggest the rabid advocates of any caliber need to spend less time arguing about them and more time on the range honing the skillset . I dont own or carry a .357 sig or a .40 because i dont care for the expense of the sig or the recoil impulse of the .40 ( i find it " slappy " and unpleasant ). Other than that they too are fine calibers that will do as well as any other pistol cal , no more , no less . No pistol can have " knock down " power and stopping power is as much about the psychology of the person shot as it is about what he is shot with in most cases . Some folks have a mindset to " fight thro " an injury , and others fold up when hurt . For the life of me i cannot see how the caliber i carry affects the mindset of any possible opponent .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I'm amused to see this issue continue to turn up. We're all just gluttons for it, I suppose.

Personally, it's all about the firearm itself. Most of the time I carry a 1911 .45, but I feel just as confident if I carry a BHP 9mm.

Use the best quality ammo in an accurate, reliable handgun, and above all train in self-defense, not just punching holes in paper from a fixed position.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    well, to digress for a moment...one of the reasons guns are better than women is that you can swap a 44 for a 22 without getting in trouble
    That is classic. I always tell my wife when she turns 40 I'm trading her in for 2 20 year olds.

Seriously I feel well protected with my G30, G27 AND my G19.

Shot placement is king.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I always tell my wife when she turns 40 I'm trading her in for 2 20 year olds.
    I used to tell my wife that , then one day ( and in public after i made the comment ) she pointed out that i am not wired for " 220" so be carefull and dont show her the thread lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

[QUOTE=Hivoltage;
    I can hide my .45 as well as my 9mm. QUOTE]

I Doubt u can hide that 36 just as easy as a pm9. u can keep the pm9 in your pocket. Im sure the 36 will fit in your pocket, but its not equaly as easy to hide. the new 9mm ammo is plenty for SD. I usually do 9mm xd9sc during the summer, and xdc40cal during winter, when more layers of clothing to penetrate, and ore layres of clothing to conceal. I plan on getting a G36 or Kahr P45. It all depends on how you need to conceal.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    I once saw a man shot at point blank range 37 times in the head and 14 times in the chest with a 9mm and he was still able to finish the Ironman competition (he only placed 4th, though) and then wrestle a grizzly bear into submission.

On the other hand, I once saw a man shot from 75 yards with a .45ACP. The round grazed his left pinky which blew his right arm and leg completely off his body and caused his brain to explode. Then his goldfish died.

Gonzo
    I've told you 10 million times, "Don't exaggerate!" It wasn't 75 yards it was only 70 yards. It wasn't a grizzly bear it was a black bear. His brain did not explode, it simply disintegrated, and his goldfish did not die, it was only rendered unconscious and was fine in just 10 minutes.

I was there and saw the whole thing. Beside that the Goldfish told me what actually happened. Dang I hate it when people B.S.

Could care less on the "size" of the hole.

Now...placement of the hole is the key...consistent, accurate, replicated placement of any size bullet will most definitely stop a fight.

I, personally, shoot the 9mm more accurately and with greater round count in less time than my .45 ACP, thus, my .45 ACP sits on my night stand and I carry the G26.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Sponsor
    Now...placement of the hole is the key...consistent, accurate, replicated placement of any size bullet will most definitely stop a fight.

We are not guaranteed our shots will be in proper/perfect placement under stress or any fast moving SD scenario where our firearm has to be used.

How many practice one handed making perfect placement shots? How many shoot one handed on the move and at moving threats and can make perfect placement shots with any high percentage of reliability?

It's more important to be able to get any first shot on threat before we are shot and to keep pouring them into his torso so he doesn't have a chance to recover enough to make a shot on us.

Accurate replicated placement? As long as that means getting all your shots on torso fine. If, on the other hand, one means all shots made into an optimum area in that torso, their expectations of doing so in a SD situation while about to or taking incoming is unrealistic.

If we take the time to make one or more "best" or get perfect shot placement, we may not even get to take a shot in many SD scenarios.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

9mm faster velocity less kinetic energy transfer (thud) to the target.
    .45 slower velocity more kinetic energy to the target
    and lets not forget big holes leak faster than little ones.
    However given today's bullet technology...it rallyis just matter of choice and persoanl taste.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

just like the handgun itself - use the one that works best for you. 9-40-45 all do the job when used properly.

personally I'm a big fan of 9 - and don't mind 45, not a fan of 40.

this chart helps show people about how equal all the pistol rounds are.
    Attached Images
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Some numbers

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    But it's not "quite a bit larger"...I don't feel that 1/10" (or whatever the exact number is) is really that significant.
    The bullet hole size is best measured by the area of the hole, not the diameter, since the area better represents the amount of tissue damaged by the bullet. Here are a few applications of pie-are-square:

.22 - .0380 sq. in.
    .357 - .1000 sq. in.
    .45 - .1590 sq. in.

Note that the .357 is 2.6 times the area of the little .22 - big difference. The .45 is 1.6 times the area of the .357 which is certainly significant. But the total amount of the tissue damage will depend on the length of the cylinder made by the bullet, that is you have to multiply the area above by the penetration to get the volume of tissue damaged. If the .45 does not penetrate, that big hole in the BG's skin will not do much. And these numbers assume the bullet does not expand. A .357 magnum hollow-point can make a pretty impressive hole and still penetrate.

I would not want to be shot with any of them. The .22 can kill you quickly.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've got and carry both. When I first started buying handguns 3 years ago, I bought 9mm, because 25 years earlier, I owned a S&W 357. A friend who owned a gun shop sold it to me, then took me out to teach me how to shoot. First, I ran 36 rounds of 38 Special at a silhouette target. I put 35 in the 10 ring, with 1 shot to the 9 ring. We then put up a bulls eye target, and I shot 6 rounds of 357. My very first shot cut the X beautifully, dead center. My next 5 shots couldn't hit the back stop. I couldn't control the flinch, and I tried several times. That gun was sold years ago, but when I got back into guns, I was leery of the 45's recoil, so I went with 9mm, buying 4 of them- Beretta 92FS, Glock 19, 26, and a Kel-tec P11. Then, one day at the range I rented a 45, just to try it. I found that I could shoot it without any problem at all, so I then bought an XD 45, which I absolutely love. It became my primary carry gun, whenever I could carry it. But it gets hot in Vegas, and cover garments aren't always available. I carry my G26 on those occasions, in a pocket holster. I just bought a G30, because I want to upgrade my carry to all 45. It is my belief (this is opinion, do not state ths as a matter of fact, though I have gotten most of this from what I consider to be reliable sources). that the 45 is a superior round. The 9mm has become a respectable defensive round, as long as hollow points are used, preferably with +P loads. The 45 however, is a better basic round- in a SHTF situation, I can shoot my 230 grain fmj practice ammo, and still have adequate stopping power (for what ever the term is worth). While I carry hollow points, or Expanding Point FMJ, if it fails to expand, it still does an excellent job. While the 9mm +P rounds deliver comparable energy into the target, IMO, the 9mm is more likely to hit a bone and deflect. rather than breaking the bone and plowing through. as a 45 is likely to do. The 45 is my preference, which is why I bought the G30, but I do respect the 9mm, and I still carry it from time to tine.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links