I broke my glock (A how-to)

This is a discussion on I broke my glock (A how-to) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I had a little issue with my glock. On the firing line during an IDPA match, slam in a magazine, and SPROING the ...

Hey guys, I had a little issue with my glock.

On the firing line during an IDPA match, slam in a magazine, and SPROING the baseplate, spring, and all of the rounds fall out of the gun. It was a little embarrasing, and really slowed me down to have to clear the empty tube out of the magwell.

One in a million, right ???

Well two weeks later, I find a different magazine that has the baseplate dislodged and it is ready to fly off.

Oh that's not a good sign.

The problem was my fault (as usual,lol ). When I reassembled the magazines, I swapped baseplates, and that was the problem.

The baseplates for the early NFML magazines have a chamfered top edge, but the baseplates for the latest FML magazines have a square edge.

The NFML mags sit a little higher in the magwell and need that chamfer for clearance.

With the FML baseplate on the NFML mag, the act of getting the mag secured in place would be enough to start to loosen the baseplate. A vigorous insertion (almost required with NFML) and the magazine will disassemble itself.

Just an FYI, and check your mags if you run the old style ones.

Well thank god you discovered this issue at the range instead of a BG encounter...

I second that...man what an "oh poop" moment that could of been.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    So if I'm reading correctly, you're still using non full metal lined (NFML, right?) non-drop free mags? If so (and I thought my Glock's were ancient, with no light rails), might I suggest you pick up some more drop free full metal lined mags, and use them exclusively?

The original mags were the weak link in the early Glock pistols, the one flaw in what otherwise was maybe the finest new pistol design of the second half of the 20th Century (okay, maybe that should read "maybe the most important new pistol design....).

Thing is, those mags suck (again, if I am reading correctly here). I'd replace them. In a heart beat!
    Last edited by T Bone; September 1st, 2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    So if I'm reading correctly, you're still using non full metal lined (NFML, right?) non-drop free mags? If so (and I though my Glock's were ancient, with no light rails), might I suggest you pick up some more drop free full metal lined mags, and use them exclusively?
    Oh, I would if I could my friend. I carry in a "ban" state - NFML mags are approved, but the later FML/DropFree hi-caps are forbidden. The only other option is the late model 10-rd mags that comfortably hold 8.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Ack! I sort of figured that after I posted, read your location as East Coast.... are you at all close to the (small but) free State of Vermont?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

sounds like a magazine problem, not a GLOCK problem
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Glad you discovered what the problem was and posted a warning for others. I've tried in the past to convey the possible issues when mixing Glock magazine parts, factory or aftermarket. Sellers very seldom warn the end user about the intended application of the parts and specifications. At least you didn't blame Glock for your problems....many others would have done just that for a good Glock bashing ceremony. I've seen it all too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Oh, I would if I could my friend. I carry in a "ban" state - NFML mags are approved, but the later FML/DropFree hi-caps are forbidden. The only other option is the late model 10-rd mags that comfortably hold 8.
    Keep in mind though, a 10-round mag that works beats a hicap that don't. I understand your frustration though.

Sponsor
    My original 87 glock 17 has three nfml mags that came with it. They've never been taken down or cleaned and have at least 40K between them downrange.

Still use them all the time, it's a training gun in my classes and those mags have never failed in any way.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Links