Kel Tec P40

This is a discussion on Kel Tec P40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for info on Kel tec's .40 caliber. I know they are making these anymore. They were built off a P11 frame? quit ...

Thread: Kel Tec P40

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

Kel Tec P40

I am looking for info on Kel tec's .40 caliber. I know they are making these anymore. They were built off a P11 frame? quit making because people were sending back because of feed issues that were mostly people not able to hold onto it. I am interested in hearing any info on it. I would like to pick one up used.
    :whatsup:
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

snowdoc,

there are 2 Kel-tec forums you that might help you out:
    www.ktrange.com
    www.ktog.org

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

thanks

I do post/read the ktog forum, just wanted to see what people here have to say. thanks for the info
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I have a P40. It's nicknamed the "lil hand spanker" and it certainly lives up to it's name! I think in firepower per ounce it's hard to beat.

I picked mine up used (WELL used). I hear there are a few P11 conversion kits still available though (http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...um=1133478374).

It took a bit of tinkering to get the bugs worked out of mine and get it feeding right. It was never horrible, maybe 97% reliable when I got it and it's 100% now.

I upgraded mine to the .357 sig barrel (still available direct from KT) with doubletap loads. Wow, what a handfull!

It's not a target pistol, you'll be starting to faulter after 100 rounds or so due to sore hands. I strongly recommend something like a handall grip, possibly with some extra padding at the rear, or wearing shooting gloves at the range. But I'm happy with mine. It's in my coat pocket right now.

Honestly though, due to the amount of recoil on the P40 I frequently wonder if carrying my P11 wouldn't be smarter. Follow up shots would be faster and more accurate, 9mm is probably "enough", and you can carry 12+1 in a flush fit mag.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i dont have nor have i shot a p40 but from what i have read they are " flinchomatics" ie unplesent to shoot and may well instill bad habits for milder more managable autos ( assuming the feed issues that got them pulled is fixed on an example ) i feel the .40 is too much horse ( in a subcompact) for most , myself included the recoil impulse isnt bad on 9 in subcompact , nor is it in .40 or .45 in compact sized pistols , but at some point (imho) you have to stop and say WAIT A MINUTE , can i sustain this pistol enough to become proficcent with it , will it hurt me shooting prolonged strings thro it , ect... i strongly feel that a carry gun should be a welcome companion , not a sadistic ballistic dwarf LOL

I have a hardchrome P40 which, though I bought it used, must've hardly been shot at all! It's got one l-o-n-g trigger pull! And yes, while it kicks a little more than my Kahr PM40 or my Glock 27, it's not all that bad. Actually, I kind of like it. After 30 shots or so, I find a little bit of skin scratched - but again, no big deal. Frankly, it's got a GREAT feel to it; fits the hand very well! I wish Keltec would start making them again. Here's a pic of mine:
    Attached Images

i got one and it is on a p40 frame. kel tec made the p40 and the frame is marked p40. they also made a p40 slide and barrel that you can put on the p11 frame. is there any different between the two frames, i don't know. except the marking on the side.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Holy necropost ! Check the dates!

I HAVE checked the dates. But...there's so little online about the Keltec P40 that the date doesn't really matter. After all, the gun has been discontinued so, when someone has one, we're interested! Just sayin...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Holy necropost ! Check the dates!
    Just abt 7 years....wow
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

sometimes it is fun to bring old posts back to like. new info will come out.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Had one, it functioned fine and shot well but was the most uncomfortable gun to fire. Recoil was very snappy, I carried it briefly then sold it for a profit. There are more comfy options for 40 now.

Links