Kahr PM9 vs. MK9

Kahr PM9 vs. MK9

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 vs. MK9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am pretty sure I am wanting a Kahr, but I have been going back and forth wither not to get the heavier MK9 or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kahr PM9 vs. MK9

I am pretty sure I am wanting a Kahr, but I have been going back and forth wither not to get the heavier MK9 or just go with the PM9. I have not seen an MK9 in any gun store I have been in, but they usually have a couple PM9s. I just wonder if recoil warrants getting a little more weight or if the lighter gun is controllable enough. I haven't shot one but I am fairly certain I can handle recoil of a 9mm even in a small gun. I plan on carrying mostly in a holster outside the pant but maybe sometimes pocket carry. Any info from someone who has shot them both would be helpful.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I've been carrying a MK9 for about 1yr now and with out a doubt it is the best carry gun I've ever owned. I used to carry a .45, but feel completely safe with the MK9 loaded with Gold Dot 124 +P. My only gripe is the grip is a little short for my hands. I may switch to the K9 someday. BTW I don't care for plastic or alloy framed guns. I don't knock em, just my personal prefence.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Years ago I was in the same predicament. I wound up going with the PM9. I am very happy I did, esp. considering I pocket carry it often. If you plan on pocket carrying the extra weight of the MK9 will make a significant difference. The steel Kahrs have had a reputation of being more reliable than the polymers. There are some horror stories on the web. My PM9 has been just fine. I gotta think most are. I have shot both the MK9 and PM9 before. I don't remember the recoil reduction w/ MK9 being enough to warrant the extra weight. Overall, the PM9 just carries better. That's my vote.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

MK9 on belt

For belt carry I would choose the MK9, as it weighs 25 ounces compared to 17 ounces for the PM9, and the recoil is considerably less because of the half pound weight difference. I believe the steel MK9s are also less prone to functional problems than the polymer PM9. I find my MK9 to be accurate and easy to shoot because of its weight. I carry it on the belt in a Comp-Tac 2 O'clock appendix holster.

The MK9 is too heavy for most pocket carry, however, and the PM9 is better for that purpose.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

If you plan on pocket carry, go with the PM9.
    If you'll be carrying on the belt I'd go with the MK9 Elite. Costs more but so much nicer.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I carry the big(ger) brother to the MK9, the K9, and don't find the extra weight to be an issue at all as far as carry comfort and I enjoy the stability that comes from the steel frame when it comes to shooting.

You won't go wrong with either one though.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Just a note that you can get Lasergrips for the MK9, not so for the PM9. If you are so inclined. I don't have either, but am considering them both for my next purchase.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

I've had both, and they are quality guns.
    I cherish lightnesss in carry guns, so I traded my MK when the PMs came out.

My PM9 started showing signs of barrel peening around 2200 rounds so I sold it.
    This issue has dogged the PM guns since they were introduced.
    Some believe that the peening issue is resolved, but I've not seen enough guns with a high round count to convince me of that.
    If you do some browsing on GlockTalk.com, you'll find lots of info on this.
    In my opinion, just because Kahr says the problem is solved, doesn't mean it's solved.

If you belt carrry, the MK9 should be fine. It would never work for me as a pocket gun. Way too heavy.
    The PM9 is simply a joy to carry on the belt, or in the pocket.

I haven't shot any 9mm gun that had enough recoil to talk about (yet).
    The MK shoots like a .22, but you know you are shooting a real caliber with the PM. There's a little more snap, but I never had any difficulty getting back on target.
    Certainly no pain involved.

Both guns were surprisingly accurate considering how small they are, and both of mine fed whatever I could stuff in the magazines.

Hope that helped.
    <><
    "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."
    PS. 144:1 NIV

Thanks for the feedback. I may have to hunt down an MK or just order one.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I pocket carry a PM45 so pocket carrying a PM9 would be a piece of cake as far as I'm concerned. Of course, with my size, if I could build a holster around a Volkswagon Bug I could probably pocket carry it too. I've even considered trading the PM45 off for a PM9. I do like them Kahrs.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    For belt carry I would choose the MK9, as it weighs 25 ounces compared to 17 ounces for the PM9, and the recoil is considerably less because of the half pound weight difference. I believe the steel MK9s are also less prone to functional problems than the polymer PM9. I find my MK9 to be accurate and easy to shoot because of its weight. I carry it on the belt in a Comp-Tac 2 O'clock appendix holster.

The MK9 is too heavy for most pocket carry, however, and the PM9 is better for that purpose.

Dang it, Pogo!

There you go again. Just when I thought I had it under control, you have to go and display a fabulous photo of a great handgun, tricked out just the way I'd like it! Now, where's my piggy bank . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I carry the big(ger) brother to the MK9, the K9, and don't find the extra weight to be an issue at all as far as carry comfort and I enjoy the stability that comes from the steel frame when it comes to shooting.

You won't go wrong with either one though.
    +1, I'm with David on this one. I had an MK9 I couldn't part with until my daughter received her CCL. Then it went to a greater cause and I thought I was going to have withdrawals. Lucky for me I found a used K9 in my gundealers showcase. He thought since it was a 2003 model, he would sell it to me for $499. Turns out it was an Elite 03 that listed for over $1,000 and s/n indicated it was 3-4 months old. I could not believe it. I really love this gun!
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

I wish the MK9 came in black. For those times when concealment really is an issue, I think a black gun is preferable. I know there's always Duracoat or something, but it would be nice to be able to order it.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Another

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Dang it, Pogo!

There you go again. Just when I thought I had it under control, you have to go and display a fabulous photo of a great handgun, tricked out just the way I'd like it! Now, where's my piggy bank . . .
    In order to help your decision, here is another photo of the same gun, taken from the opposite side of the gun:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

ree
    I had a PM9 for a while. It was one of the lemons and had lots of issues. I know a number of people who have had their PM9s for a long time and had no issues. So no I'm not harping on the PMs. But I traded the PM9 for an MK9 and am much happier.

It's just a bit more refined and handles better when shooting. The slightly thicker grip on the MK fits my hand a bit better. I had an A-grip on the PM9 and it helped, but it always felt too thin.

Yes, the MK9 is a little heavier, but I pocket carry mine a lot and don't feel that it's awkward at all. I do have a good belt though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links