EDC has rust inside bore?

This is a discussion on EDC has rust inside bore? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I noticed upon inspecting my EDC piece this morning that it has a bit of rust inside the bore and on the outside of the ...

Thread: EDC has rust inside bore?

I noticed upon inspecting my EDC piece this morning that it has a bit of rust inside the bore and on the outside of the barrel. the gun in question is a blued colt cobra and its carried in a leather pocket holster.

I wipe it down nightly with breakfree CLP and run a brush down the barrel with some hopes number 9 weekly(this seems to have gotten rid of most of the rust inside the barrel,which wasn't a whole lot to begin with) so what gives? How do I get rid of this problem totally and keep it from coming back? I've carried and inspected this gun fir years and never had this issue before.

I think your problem is keeping it in a leather holster ALL the time. Leather retains moisture--thus, the oxidation in the barrel. Scrub with Hoppes and a brass brush until it is gone--then a lightly oiled patch.

And don't store the gun in a leather holster.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sigguy I take it out of the holster when its not being carried.

hmmm....environment then? I'll defer to the other experts here.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I don't know about the cause, but I can offer up a simple fix; My wife's EDC was rusting often until we applied some Militec-1 to it, and voila! No rust for over a month. If you want a more permanent fix, consider sending your piece off to Coal Creak Armory to get the Melonite QPQ Treatment.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I would find a different way to carry. Leather retains moisture from your body also and the salt in those fluids will also eat at the finish.
    I Rotate from pocket carry to IWB with different Guns. It keeps me inspecting and thinking in terms of scenarios and so forth. Good luck!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Run a patch through your barrel with either Ballistol or Eezox on it. Run another dry patch through in an hour and call it a day. Both products are great rust inhibitors.

First you need to get the rust out... SCRUB...SCRUB...SCRUB...then apply a good protectant... ideally one with some lubricating properties...

Eezox works for me... this is a dry lube (the guys in Iraq turned me onto it)... Thsi stuff works great, all my pocket carry guns get a liberal coating of this... liquid lubes simply capture the dust and debris and make a nasty goo, this drys to touch and does not collect the STUFF from pockets... in desert combat, this works well as it prevents the gumming up encountered using oils in the CEMENT DUST environment...

Eezox - The triple action solution to gun care

Another product is Boeshield T-9... Boeshield T-9
    This is a parafin and solvent blend that drys to a protective coat... I have used this on my duck gun for years... no rust yet...

Good luck...

Now that you have me paranoid, I am going back down to open the safe and have a look see at the goods
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

VIP Member
    After you get the rust out use a light coat of breakfree.

I don't have any good suggestions for you personally for removing the rust. Shooter's Choice 'Rust Prevent' does a real good job of keeping it at bay. Like some others have suggested, use a product that penetrates.
    Removing Rust From Inside Of Barrel??? [Archive] - THR
    Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner Novum Solutions, Makers of Blue Wonder and Muscle Wonder.
    Safe Rust Remover

Evapo Rust :: Harris International Labs
    Rust-X / Easy One-Step Rust Removal

Links