Smooth Trigger from a Glock 17

This is a discussion on Smooth Trigger from a Glock 17 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just installed a trigger (smooth surface) with trigger bar from a G17 in my G27. I also installed a NY1 trigger with a stock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smooth Trigger from a Glock 17

Smooth Trigger from a Glock 17

I just installed a trigger (smooth surface) with trigger bar from a G17 in my G27. I also installed a NY1 trigger with a stock 3.5# connector. I was noticing a couple of things. The cruciform on the 17 trigger bar seems to have a slight dip in it compared to the 27's. There is also a slightly different mold on the inside of the bar. But they are the same length and seem to work fine when I dry fire.

The other thing that I noticed is that when dry firing the trigger goes forward after releasing the trigger, but not to reset. The stock trigger spring keeps the trigger to the rear when dry firing. Others have said that this is normal. I haven't shot it yet. The trigger pull feels very crisp. But I had a NY2 trigger with a stock connector in my 19 and I do not remember the trigger going forward after releasing.

The Glock FAQ site stated something about taking a pin out of the trigger and replacing just the trigger not the whole bar if one wants the smooth trigger. I thought this was odd because the trigger bars are the same size.

Thoughts?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

don't carry it til you test fire it and make sure it goes bang everytime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have put the smooth trigger, bar included, in my 26 and 19 and they work just fine.

I do have to agree with the above poster though. make sure you thoroughly test it to make sure everything works the way it is supposed to.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Have you tried a reduced power firing pin spring with your factory trigger? I've heard one can somewhat improve the trigger feel in the G27 by using the G17 trigger assembly. I've also heard that you can polish the needed parts to make a better trigger with stock parts. I've also heard the stock 3.5# connector has more travel than a new connector if that makes sense. The Glock FAQ website is a good one, you might also look over Glockworld.com for more ideas. Having a Glock armorer CD would be a good investment for you IMO. I've never sent a file that large, but if you remind me in a PM sometime this weekend, we could give it a go.

The best way to improve the feel is through the polish of the internals.
    The cruciform on the trigger bar, the engagement face of the striker, the upper/inside lip of the connector, and the OD/face of the striker block.

I run this combination in all of my glocks and love it. No lighter springs, etc, just clean engagement on all mating parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    don't carry it til you test fire it and make sure it goes bang everytime
    I'm pretty sure it will go bang. I did all my function tests and it passed. I think that it is because of the direction that the trigger spring puts pressure on the cruciform. The NY triggers put upward pressure on it. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Have you tried a reduced power firing pin spring with your factory trigger? I've heard one can somewhat improve the trigger feel in the G27 by using the G17 trigger assembly. I've also heard that you can polish the needed parts to make a better trigger with stock parts. I've also heard the stock 3.5# connector has more travel than a new connector if that makes sense. The Glock FAQ website is a good one, you might also look over Glockworld.com for more ideas. Having a Glock armorer CD would be a good investment for you IMO. I've never sent a file that large, but if you remind me in a PM sometime this weekend, we could give it a go.
    I've only used stock Glock parts in all my Glocks. I have heard of polishing to make a lighter pull. I just put some oil where the connector meets the bar.

Thanks for the offer of the Glock armorer CD but I have the manuel. I just went to the school 2 months ago. I'm gonna give Glock a call tomorrow to see if they heard of these issues. Like I've said some have stated that these are all normal.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I spoke to an armorer at Glock in Smyrna this morning. He stated that the 17/22 trigger w/ trigger bar should NOT be put in any compact or subcompact Glock. He stated that the cruciform is at a slightly different angle and the lug that hits the firing pin safety is a slightly different size. I had noticed the difference in the cruciform but the lug looks the same.

In any event he stated that the gun may not function properly with the smooth trigger w/ trigger bar in my 27.

The good news is he confirmed that it is normal for the trigger to move forward after dry firing w/ a NY1 trigger.

So I switched out the trigger w/ trigger bar and left the NY1 trigger with the 3.5# connector. I did notice that it doesn't go as far forward after releasing the trigger with the grooved trigger as it did with the smooth.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Wait--you're talking about the smooth versus the grooved trigger, right? Not the feel of the action? If so, that's EASY, and you can get the part at GLOCKmeister.com.

I have both, and it really doesn't make a difference to me, but if that's what you want, go to GM.

Smoothing up the trigger, that's another discussion! ;)

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Wait--you're talking about the smooth versus the grooved trigger, right? Not the feel of the action? If so, that's EASY, and you can get the part at GLOCKmeister.com.

I have both, and it really doesn't make a difference to me, but if that's what you want, go to GM.

Smoothing up the trigger, that's another discussion! ;)

Dan
    Thanks for the reply, but I like to keep all stock Glock parts in my guns. After speaking with the armorer this morning, I'll just deal with the grooved trigger. Putting in the NY1 and the 3.5# connector was all I really wanted. The smooth trigger would only come into play if shooting more than 500 rounds in a session.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I like to keep all stock Glock parts in my guns.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I got my G17 smooth trigger today and installed it in my G27. Function tested. It's the same if not better than the stock G27 trigger. I may break it in with 500 rounds or so, then try polishing the specific surfaces. While I was down deep into my Glock pistol, I did not replace the trigger spring even though I have three stock replacements on hand. Ten minute job. I love Glocks! I also polished my G27 barrel as Luvmyglock did and posted about. I used white rouge from the local hardware store and my Dremel tool. You both have given me great ideas I wanted to try and did!

Did you replace the whole trigger and trigger bar or did you take the smooth trigger off the bar before installing?
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Did you replace the whole trigger and trigger bar or did you take the smooth trigger off the bar before installing?
    The whole thing, trigger w/trigger bar from topgunsupply $11.95.

The whole thing, trigger w/trigger bar from topgunsupply $11.95.
    I'm going shooting tomorrow. I'm gonna test the 17 trigger w/ trigger bar in my 19 and 27. An armorer from Glock said it may not work. But I have also heard from other armorers that work for Glock that it will.

Thanks for the test, Ramrod. Did you notice a slight ramp on the cruciform of the 17 trigger bar that was more flat on the 27? It is VERY slight.

I also cannot wait to see how the NY1 & 3.5# connector work. They feel great dry firing.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I got my G17 smooth trigger today and installed it in my G27. Function tested. It's the same if not better than the stock G27 trigger. I may break it in with 500 rounds or so, then try polishing the specific surfaces. While I was down deep into my Glock pistol, I did not replace the trigger spring even though I have three stock replacements on hand. Ten minute job. I love Glocks! I also polished my G27 barrel as Luvmyglock did and posted about. I used white rouge from the local hardware store and my Dremel tool. You both have given me great ideas I wanted to try and did!
    I just re-read your post. You FUNCTION tested it. I misread it the first time. My function test worked well too. Tomorrow I will fire it. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll probably put about 150 through each.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links