New Additions to the Family (Pic Heavy)

This is a discussion on New Additions to the Family (Pic Heavy) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These are not exactly concealable guns, but knowing how most members of the forum appreciate nice old weapons I thought I would share the story ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Additions to the Family (Pic Heavy)

These are not exactly concealable guns, but knowing how most members of the forum appreciate nice old weapons I thought I would share the story of how I got these.

Two weeks ago I get a call from my step father at dinner time and the conversation went like this:

me: Hello
    SF: My mom found a couple of guns in the bottom of a box and is pretty upset right now (she's afraid of guns). How can you tell if a gun is loaded?
    me: Depends, is it a revolver or a semi-auto?
    SF: Whats the difference? (He knows nothing about guns except they go bang, he's not an anti, just not into them)
    me: (After a moment of silence while I beat my head on the door frame) Are they in holsters or just lying in the box?
    SF: They are in leather holsters.
    me: Carefully pick them up, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and put them someplace safe until I can look at them. I'll be over after dinner.

I go over to the SF moms house (don't really like the woman, nasty old lady and half ready for a straight jacket). When I walk in she's upset and about to blow a gasket, starts yelling at me to get them out of here. I take them out to the garage and pull them out of their holsters. What a mess!!! They were two revolvers, they looked like two chunks of rusting metal. SF tells me she wanted to throw them into the trash, but he convinced her that wasn't a very smart thing to do (safety). Then she suggested he take them to the police department. He really wasn't liking the idea of walking into the popos' house caring two guns. He convinced her to give them to me since I collect guns anyway (gee, thanks for the rusting garbage). I brought them home and threw them into the bottom of the gun safe and forgot about them until two days ago.

I like a challenge, so I decided to get those guns out and see if I could clean them up enough to fire. If nothing else I could at least have two plinking guns for the range. I start breaking them down and removing the grips for cleaning and discover one of the guns is a Colt, I'm now almost ready to cry wondering how someone could abuse these children like this!! I soaked both guns down with Breakfree -Powder Blast and started scrubbing with a toothbrush (wife WASN'T happy, I used hers - I forgot to tell her I had already picked up a new one for her). I discovered the guns were covered in some kind of congealed sticky goop (about like old maple syrup that has dried). I'm now cussing out the idiot who put this crap all over the guns. It's not just on the outside, but is in the bore, chambers, trigger, hammer, springs, everywere. The red-ish brown stuff that I thought was rust was old leather. The holster leather is so old that on the rough side it is starting to crumble and was sticking to the goop. Seeing how this stuff is everywhere the guns had to have been dipped in either grease or heavy oil and put in their holsters and forgotten about. The guns belonged to my step fathers dad and he doesn't ever remember anyone getting those boxes out of the attic. We found newspapers in the box dated in the 1940s, his father died a few years ago so we'll never get the full history on the guns. After all that time whatever the substance was it started to harden. After 12 hours of spraying solvent and scrubbing I almost had an emergency evacuation of my bowels (crapped myself - mustant anger the Mods ). Underneath the crud there wasn't a spot of rust on either gun and the finish/bluing are like new. I could now kiss the fine gentleman who dipped the guns, I guess he knew what he was doing after all. I took them to a gun dealer up the road for grading and appraisal. After much research in books and on line I was shocked when he gave me the verdict. After all the scrubbing here is what I've got:

Maker: Harrington & Richardson
    Model: Sportsman
    Cal: .22 LR
    Date of Manufacture: 1939
    Finish/Bluing: 90% slight holster wear on end of barrel, Slight scratches on cylinder from indexing
    Bore/chamber(s): 100% like new
    Wood/Grips: Factory original 100%
    Current Value: $250-$300
    Not a lot of H&R collectors out there, keeps the prices down

Maker: Colt
    Model: Officers Model
    Cal: .22 LR
    Date of Manufacture: 1938
    Finish/Bluing: 90% slight holster wear on end of barrel, slight holster wear on edges of cylinder.
    Bore/chamber(s): 100% like new
    Wood/grips: Factory original 100%
    Current Value: $1000-$1300
    The holster the gun was in is the original that came with it in the box, this adds value to the gun.

Here's the pics, camera isn't the best and with the blue backround and outdoor lighting the bluing is a little hard to see. I wish I had thought to take some before photos.
    Attached Images
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Here are a few more pics I couldn't fit in OP.
    Attached Images
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Well, it looks like you did a great job of cleaning them. They look great! Have you test fired any of them yet?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Well, it looks like you did a great job of cleaning them. They look great! Have you test fired any of them yet?
    May do that Friday if I can make the time. Kind of hate to fire the Colt, don't want to add wear to it.

Wow. They cleaned up real nice. Congrats.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Spooter, you have the patience of Job; them pistols look immaculate. excellent job.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

very cool!
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Good for you is all I can say. I got a few gun for you to clean.

Lead Moderator
    So the guns may well have been covered in cosmoline or similar? Someone must have been looking to preserve them alright. Congrats on the great find.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lucky catch...the H&R was my first pistol and I had it for over 35 years...sold it in a weak moment...have always regretted it.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tell the old lady thanks for the $1500.00 and watch her jaw drop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

im not a huge fan of revolvers, but wow, those are nice. good scrub job too. not a bad find in an attic. much better than the junk i find in mine.

about not adding the wear, i run a round or two through them to see, ya know, then clean em' up good, and put them on display. :)
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

WOW! That's nice. One man's trash is truly another man's treasure.

Great story and terrific find! They look beautiful..................

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good looking guns and great job on cleaning them.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links