Kahr MK9?

Kahr MK9?

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; for you MK9 owners here how reliable has your gun been? I've read and heard that the polymer frame kahrs had some issues but don't ...

Thread: Kahr MK9?

Kahr MK9?

for you MK9 owners here how reliable has your gun been? I've read and heard that the polymer frame kahrs had some issues but don't ever recall hearing or reading anything bad about the steel framed kahr arms guns. So how do you like your MK9? Do you think its small enough for pocket carry?

Use the search function, there are 8 pages of items.DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Definitely not for pocket carry unless you're huge. Great for ultra concealed belt carry. Mine has been absolutely reliable and it's a pleasure to shoot, even with hot loads. It's a very easy shooter and it's very accurate. I'd get the PM9 for pocket carry. If you want belt or winter coat pocket, get the MK9.

Everyone repeats the mantra that the polymers are less reliable. I don't think you can be so sure. People are just so used to repeating it. Kahr and other major producers stand behind their guns and even Sigs may need the one trip back.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I never experienced any malfunction whatsoever with my MK9, and I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind with my TP9 to date. The MK9 is about the same size as the PM9, but it is really too heavy for pocket carry in my opinion.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

My CW9 is brand new , so I can't give a true testimony of reliability yet, BUT everybody I know with Kahr's (and the owner's manual as well) tell you to fire at least 200 break-in rounds before trusting your life to it. Expect a malfunction or two during this break-in period, but after that they should be very reliable. A co-worker has several Kahr's in his household, both steel and polymer, and he loves them. I think he said there were malfunctions during the break-in period, as expected, but none have malfunctioned since, after probably thousands of rounds between them. He was telling me he got a great deal on one of them at a shop he frequents, after a disgruntled customer (who obviously didn't read the manual) came in to return a P9 complaining that it must be crap since it jammed twice on the first magazine. He bought it for a steal, immediately ran a few hundred rounds through it (with another malfunction or two), and as expected, it has been flawless ever since.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

ree
    If you can pocket carry a PM9 you can pocket carry an MK9. I do, no problems. I'm not huge. I'm 6'0" 190lbs.

The only dimensional difference is the grip is a smidgen wider. Yes, it's heaver, but wear a good belt and you're fine.

My MK9's been great so far. My PM9 was great at first and then had repeated problems. There's no evidence that it had anything to do with being a polymer frame. I view my PM9 problems as a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by ree View Post
    If you can pocket carry a PM9 you can pocket carry an MK9.
    Thank you for saying what I always thought.

I pocket carry my S&W 640 with no problem at all and it weighs a little more than an MK9.

In fact, the MK9 just might be my next purchase.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I have the PM9 and it's been utterly reliable -- no FTFs, FTEs, etc. either during the break- in or post-break-in. Feeds everything.

I disagree on the pocket carry of the MK9. It's great if you have an IWB or OWB, but drags down the pocket and consequently prints too much as compared with the PM9 (or at least makes your pants look out of whack). Just my humble opinion. Others may not (and obviously have not) find the weight an issue. For me, it feels like I'm lugging a brick around in my pocket. Back pocket of jeans is not so noticable.

Bottom line, either one will work. Don't be afraid of the issues posted with the earlier PM9s.

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post

I disagree on the pocket carry of the MK9. It's great if you have an IWB or OWB, but drags down the pocket and consequently prints too much as compared with the PM9 (or at least makes your pants look out of whack). Just my humble opinion. Others may not (and obviously have not) find the weight an issue. For me, it feels like I'm lugging a brick around in my pocket. Back pocket of jeans is not so noticable.

Bottom line, either one will work. Don't be afraid of the issues posted with the earlier PM9s.
    Yeah, it's fairly heavy...MK9 weighs 24 oz. w/UNLOADED mag.
    But I carry PM9 in this Stellar Rigs gizmo in front right pocket. 7 shells in gun, 6 in spare mag, weighs 25 oz total.
    Doesn't "stretch" my cargo pants/shorts pockets down noticeably, even better in jeans. I can sure get the gun into service in a hurry (unless sitting down!)
    - OS

My mk was flawless. My pm is also and much lighter, so the mk was sold. I like the lighter weight of the pm, but if you don't mind the extra weight of the mk for pocket carry I don't think you will be disappointed.

My MK9 has been flawless for the 500 rounds or so I've fired through it. It can be pocket carried, though it works better IWB or OWB because of the weight.

My MK has been flawless after the break-in period, and have around 1k rounds through it. My friend has a CW9 that has had issues but seems to have mostly cleared up. One thing that I've found out, is that the MK9 is too heavy for comfortable ankle carry (but I carried that CW9 for hours and it didn't drag on me.) I pocket carried my MK recently and was happy with it's performance. Yes, it is a bit heavy for the task, but not overly so.

I have a PM9 100% reliable. I have used many brands of cheep ammo as well as hi priced self defense ammo. This is from day one .
    I enjoy shooting and carrying the gun. I carry pocket and IWB.
    Very happy and would do it again.

thanks guys I'm gonna see about getting one of these guns

Links