Carry gun evolutions?

This is a discussion on Carry gun evolutions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yikes...the evolution is mostly done, but in a nutshell: Browning HP Mark II 9mm to a, Beretta 92F Compact 9mm to a, Star PD .45 ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun evolutions?

VIP Member
    Yikes...the evolution is mostly done, but in a nutshell:

Browning HP Mark II 9mm to a,
    Beretta 92F Compact 9mm to a,
    Star PD .45 ACP to a,
    Steyr S40 .40 S&W to a,
    (sometimes) Kimber Combat Carry .45 ACP and/or Beretta 92F Compact Type M 9mm to a,
    Kel Tec P3AT .380 ACP (as a BUG) to a,
    Kahr PM9 9mm (now serving as a BUG) to (finally) a,
    Kahr P9 Covert 9mm.

I now have a Kahr P45 .45 ACP which will serve as my "cold weather" CCW during FL mercifully short "cold season."

I fitz around with other guns as CCW's including a Walther P99 QA Titanium and Beretta 96FS Centurion, both in .40 S&W and Beretta MiniCougar 8045D .45 ACP. The Kahr 9mm's are, for the most part, my full-time CCW's.

My LE work gun is a SIGARMS P229 .40 S&W.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

2. Remove Ads

1980-2001
    Carried part time w/o CHL in OWB holster, Colt full size 1911. in PA.

In 2001 the Colt went to my brother and I decided to try our one of them there plastic Glocks and purchased a Glock 22 OWB. Got my CHL in Oregon.

The Glock 22 didn't last very long, I went to a full size Para LDA 1911 several months after purchasing the G22. Sometime that year I purchased a G26 for my ex-wife but ended up back to me.

In 2002 I carried either the Para or a G30 till 2003 when I sold the G30 and purchased a Ruger revolver and S&W 342PD after a serious accident, cut my tendon in my right thumb in half.

2004 I purchased a G19 but never carried it then decided to install a internal Crimson Trace laser in the G23

2005 purchased a Kimber Custom II. Went to install a CT laser in the G19 for teaching but miss out by one month on the laser.

More or less 2004 and 2005 had me switch between the Kimber and G23 with the G27 and S&W342 for backup. My son made claim to my Para which made me happy he picked a real gun...45ACP.

Looking ahead for 2006, I am considering this a "knife" year and load up on various knifes. 2007 hope to get another full size 1911 but don't know which one this early in the game.

Note: since 2002 each firearm I have purchase buy one left and one right side IWB holster. Did the double holster thing after my tendon was cut. All IWB are Kramer's.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lets see i started out with a Hk usp wasnt comfortable with it so i switched to a XD Subcompact 9mm 14 round's fairly quick Carried it 6 months became more sure with hiding gun..

Switched back to Usp then carried it 2 more months and finally bought another 1911 and started carrying it.

This year alone i have Carried in no order 3 different versions of 1911's 2 springfield loaded one lightweight orther not a 1911sc smith

A colt cobra 38,Xd xub, Glock 17,500 Smith and wesson ... yes it was concealed and the Hk usp

Right now as of past 5 weeks or so ive been packing the Glock 17 mostly due to weight since i carry on left hip and back and knee has been bothering me even loaded its lighter than my lightweight 1911..

Granted my 38 is super light compared to the glock with 18 rounds but since im in no shape to run or do much hand to hand i figured more rounds is better for now soon as im feeling better or i get a glock 10mm ill make a switch to 10mm or back to 1911

Also this all spans just 2 years time

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for all the responses - most interesting to know how you have all made changes over time to get where you are now.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Boy, it is difficult to remember everything I have routinely carried, but I certainly remember my first, since it was my first handgun I ever bought back in 1982: a six inch Ruger security six in a shoulder holster! Then I went to a 2.75 inch security six in a pancake. And from there, I went to various handguns, including a PPK/S, 3913, Browning BDA, Colt Agent, S&W Model 60, S&W 659, S&W 3913, S&W 669, a couple of 1911s, AMT DAO Backup, Seecamp .25, Sig 226, SP-101s and some others.

These days, eight times out of ten, I will be carrying a Taurus 650 or 651, one time out of ten a S&W 3913, and the remaining one time out of ten a Sig 226.

Regards,

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    It's easy for me since I haven't been carrying too long:

Bersa .380
    S&W 637 (never have found the hammer to be a problem w/pocket carry?)
    S&W 637 and, at times, KelTec P3AT
    Kahr P9 and/or the P3AT
    Kahr P9 is prmary but at times I'll laternate now between the 637/P3AT, or a Springfield Mil-Spec .45 1911

carry evolution

Have had ccw for about 10 years.
    After considerable research I ended up with the Kel-Tec P-11 with the belt clip you see in my avatar. I also have a SA Loaded which I carry some during the winter. But everytime I carry the 1911 I remember how much more comfortable and convenient the Kel-Tec is. I live in a very low risk area and my lifestyle is also low risk. The Kel-Tec works for me. I also have a new 2nd gen P-3AT that I use as a BUG. Sometimes in the summer I admit that I will probably carry the P-3AT as my only gun. This forum is great. I am learning a lot. Nice thread. That P-95 guy really keeps things hopping on here doesn't he!

Assistant Administrator
    Resurrecting this thread from end of last year - seeing as we have gained a load of new members.

So - those who didn't see this before - what was your carry evolution? What was your first carry gun and - how many choices thru to where you are now?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Got carry permit 9/29/05 after I moved up to MI from WI.

Glock 30 .45ACP
    Taurus 605 .357 Magnum
    Para Ordnance P16*40 10mm
    Glock 30 .45ACP (bought it back from dealer)

Future list:

Glock 20 with longslide conversion (LWD G21 6" slide and KKM 45-10mm 6" SS bbl)

Kimber Warrior

Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45ACP (drool) or will settle for CZ-USA DW Bobtail Commander, probably 10mm for half the price
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Lets see. Ive had my CCW since 7/05.

I started carrying my XD .40, then I moved to a XD .45 and now Im carrying either/or and a p-11.

Also did some stints with a SA 1911, and a S&W 686 .357.

I will be acquiring a commander size 1911 in the next month or so, and there will be a SIG(or 2) in my tool box soon.
    Fear No Evil.

I started in 1968 with a full sized Colt 1911 and about three years ago moved to a Kimber Eclipse Pro II 4 inch barrel. When I dial 911, I have a 1911 in hand.

Well I don't have my CHL yet. But like others I have started to carry around the house. I had a Glock 26 that I thought I could carry. But I sold it to fund a SIG 220. In addition to the Sig I have a Kahr PM40. I have ordered a Mark Garrity "In-Cognito Deluxe" and a single mag pouch for the SIG 220 and a pocket holster for my Kahr PM40. They should arrive at about the same time that I get my CHL.

I started with a S&W M19 4", then a M66 4", then S&W 910, S&W 4516, HK USPF45, HKUSPF40 with S&W 3913 BUG, and am back to a M66 3". I am grandfathered to carry a revolver at work. HK USPF40 is the issued handgun, which I still carry from time to time, depending on situation/conditions. Regards 18DAI.

I've had my CHL for 5 years now but even before I had it, I carried, due to the Texas traveling law, an 2" SP-101. I made the jump to my first semi-auto, which was a SIG P-245 that I qualified with in my CHL test, next was a SIG P220ST, next was a Para-Ordnance Carry 12, then Springfield WW2 Champion, then a Wilson CQB, CQB Compact and Professional, then a 3" Ruger SP-101 and now a S&W 65-5. My favorite primary carry is my Wilson Professional but I recently got a XD-45 and a few hundred more rounds, it will be carried just as much.
    The other day I carried the S&W 65-5 OWB all day just to get a feel of revolver carry again. I like the feeling and once I find a good IWB holster for that gun I will then be carrying it more as well.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I started out carrying a Beretta 92FS. Went to a Rugar 40 cal. S&W 411 40cal (was my duty weapon but small enough to easily conceal) Went to a Glock 21. Loved it but I found it to be too much of a "hog leg" to carry concealed. I now carry a S&W 457 45. If I had the $ I'd go to Kimber Ultra Carry.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links